Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VUL introducing new doctorate in May
VUL's communication is terrible. Is is getting better, but, how bad they are shouldn't be acceptable. The professors (minus Hampton) are pretty on point. I however didn't have as many communication issues as a previous cohort. the popularity of the DHA program definitely overwhelmed VUL. VUL is getting better at this, and started construction on their campus again, etc.

I don't regret spending $15,000 on them.

Also on this note, I had worse communication from South College... Seriously! My ex-boyfriend has been waiting for a response from UMPI for 1.5 months now, and follows up every 3 days. communication issues aren't unique.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • newdegree
(01-18-2023, 01:28 PM)ashkir Wrote: VUL's communication is terrible. Is is getting better, but, how bad they are shouldn't be acceptable. The professors (minus Hampton) are pretty on point. I however didn't have as many communication issues as a previous cohort. the popularity of the DHA program definitely overwhelmed VUL. VUL is getting better at this, and started construction on their campus again, etc.

Also on this note, I had worse communication from South College... Seriously! My ex-boyfriend has been waiting for a response from UMPI for 1.5 months now, and follows up every 3 days. communication issues aren't unique.

So being also someone affected by the diploma and regalia fiasco the communication and lack of decent customer support are very real at VUL. While I think most of the coursework was fine honestly a year later I have some regrets about the program. First, only two of the faculty have any real healthcare experience (Alexander and Dr. Hampton) which limits the discussion of any real deep healthcare-related policy discussion. Second, there is no healthcare policy or finance taught in this program. I mean how can you have a program and never discuss things like the Affordable Care Act, Single Payer, Social Determinants in Health, Health Equity, etc... If it hadn't been for the COVID epidemic there was nothing that related to the current topics in healthcare. The case studies while interesting are somewhat dated. The communication course was really good but it's ironic that it is taught by the Dean who doesn't practice what he teaches when it comes to communicating with students in general in the program (I'll leave it at that for now). 

While I do think some of the rants on Facebook by students may have been a bit over the top it was mostly out of frustration with an administration that would not honestly engage with us. The administration made a commitment to provide regalia as part of the graduation fees that were collected last June. The school got a grant to pay for regalia cost for approx 300 graduations in the DHA. Something changed between July and late August as there were stories of students not paying for graduation and being given regalia. Also, there were stories of regalia being stolen during graduation rehearsal (the university failed to secure regalia and let anyone grab items at will).  Not knowing what is true or not has led to confusion and frustration. When the university quietly updated the school website to say regalia was no longer being given to those not graduating and those impacted students were left waiting weeks wondering when their diploma and regalia would be mailed. The university didn't get most of the diplomas out until late November with a few getting them in time for Christmas. After several complaints were filed with BBB, SCHEV, TRACS and several military veteran organizations did the university begin to offer regalia (minus a doctoral hood and tam) however it appears to be low quality and it is not the same custom regalia given to those that attended.   

I knew going to VUL the DHA program was all about raising funds to help support needed repairs to campus (check out the VUL website and you'll see the RFPs for construction bids and the project manager is none other than the Dean of the DHA program).  I was happy to help the school with this rebuilding effort, especially in light of the social justice issues in 2020. However, there is no excuse for mistreating and disenfranchising graduates especially since many have really decent-paying careers and who would be a great donor base in the future. There were roughly 60 students who didn't attend graduation and/or had issues with their diplomas. The mismanagement of transcripts impacted everyone (glad to see them moving to Parchment but somebody still has to enter student information in the system correctly).  

If someone is seeking just a doctorate in health leadership without any health policy, finance, or technology coursework then VUL has a solid program. However, for early careerists, I would advise exploring other offerings now in health administration (Tulane's DrPH or Oklahoma State's DHA are prime examples of good quality programs). Yes, the short 1-year timeline and current cost of $18K makes the program attractive. As a graduate sadly feel I have no connection now with the university going forward. I'm still hopeful this can be repaired and I'm still willing to help (I earlier sent the school information about internships that my company was offering, but not to my surprise it went on deaf ears).  There is much work that needs to be done at VUL and future students should be aware of the issues.
[-] The following 3 users Like PurpleReign's post:
  • newdegree, sanantone, ss20ts
Appreciate reading about your experience and am hopeful that the spark can return since what you accomplished with VUL is significant. One would imagine having fond memories, or an active, valued connection would be a better mental space.

Finishing up my degrees with ENEB and have VUL high on the list, so it will be interesting if I move forward to see what experience I will have with them. The price and time frame to complete is essential, and some of the pain points expressed don't cause too much worry at this stage.

The forum can get a good laugh if I complain about VUL in the future.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
(01-14-2023, 02:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-14-2023, 02:18 PM)KSoul Wrote: I've only read a small collection of graduates complaining about diplomas and transcript delays over the last year, which one would imagine several universities had shortcomings trying to balance the pandemic and processes. Most read a little theatrical to me, and I am open to understanding that if I had graduated, I might have a heightened sensitivity to waiting for an extended period. Outside of one professor, I have never read anything negative about the program and learning journey.

Talking with VUL  back in Mach 2022, I agree this is a different tone to the likelihood of anything coming soon. Their DHA offering is substantial, so they should do just fine even with no new additions.

There were several graduates who waited 8 months to get their diplomas and have their transcripts recorded. I wouldn't call that theatrical. IT wasn't due to the pandemic. It was due to EXTREMELY poor communication from the university who kept telling students numerous stories and not really explaining anything. They were also promised graduation regalia which only ended up being given to those who attended commencement which is not what was communicated at all. 

I have read from several people problems with the program and it's not just 1 professor. I've been following along since the DHA was announced. Even their Facebook ads have people asking questions that the school never responds to which is really bad marketing and says a lot to potential students about the school.

Regalia as in cap & gown? We have to order it ourselves in UK & if you don't go to graduation you don't get or need it. Do you have to go to graduation to actually graduate in America? We get our diplomas sent not at graduation (correct me if I'm wrong', pretty sure the scroll isn't the diploma).

Is graduation and staying in touch with a uni/college important for American's?

I had an online graduation and my name wasn't even read out lol
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

Most universities in the US also have the graduate order their own, but if the program stated it was included, then it must be included - there's no discussion here, it's simply a matter of deceptive advertising if they don't follow thru on what's promised.

Not always, but this Uni is struggling financially, and would benefit from a robust, active alumni association that can fund scholarships and other events. PR goes a long way, treating graduates like VIPs rather than an annoyance goes a really long way.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cc95's post:
  • sanantone
(02-02-2023, 10:41 PM)PurpleReign Wrote:
(01-18-2023, 01:28 PM)ashkir Wrote: VUL's communication is terrible. Is is getting better, but, how bad they are shouldn't be acceptable. The professors (minus Hampton) are pretty on point. I however didn't have as many communication issues as a previous cohort. the popularity of the DHA program definitely overwhelmed VUL. VUL is getting better at this, and started construction on their campus again, etc.

If someone is seeking just a doctorate in health leadership without any health policy, finance, or technology coursework then VUL has a solid program. However, for early careerists, I would advise exploring other offerings now in health administration (Tulane's DrPH or Oklahoma State's DHA are prime examples of good quality programs). Yes, the short 1-year timeline and current cost of $18K makes the program attractive. As a graduate sadly feel I have no connection now with the university going forward. I'm still hopeful this can be repaired and I'm still willing to help (I earlier sent the school information about internships that my company was offering, but not to my surprise it went on deaf ears).  There is much work that needs to be done at VUL and future students should be aware of the issues.

I'm excited to hear back from anyone who tries the OSU program. If you can bring in 30 transfer credits, you can finish the program in one year. I believe OSU allows a maximum of 12 credits for fall and spring. I don't know what their limit is for summer, but you'd only need to take six credits in the summer if you take 12 credits during the other semesters.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • PurpleReign
(02-03-2023, 03:12 AM)debrag Wrote:
(01-14-2023, 02:18 PM)KSoul Wrote: I've only read a small collection of graduates complaining about diplomas and transcript delays over the last year, which one would imagine several universities had shortcomings trying to balance the pandemic and processes. Most read a little theatrical to me, and I am open to understanding that if I had graduated, I might have a heightened sensitivity to waiting for an extended period. Outside of one professor, I have never read anything negative about the program and learning journey.

Talking with VUL  back in Mach 2022, I agree this is a different tone to the likelihood of anything coming soon. Their DHA offering is substantial, so they should do just fine even with no new additions.

There were several graduates who waited 8 months to get their diplomas and have their transcripts recorded. I wouldn't call that theatrical. IT wasn't due to the pandemic. It was due to EXTREMELY poor communication from the university who kept telling students numerous stories and not really explaining anything. They were also promised graduation regalia which only ended up being given to those who attended commencement which is not what was communicated at all. 

I have read from several people problems with the program and it's not just 1 professor. I've been following along since the DHA was announced. Even their Facebook ads have people asking questions that the school never responds to which is really bad marketing and says a lot to potential students about the school.

Regalia as in cap & gown? We have to order it ourselves in UK & if you don't go to graduation you don't get or need it. Do you have to go to graduation to actually graduate in America? We get our diplomas sent not at graduation (correct me if I'm wrong', pretty sure the scroll isn't the diploma).

Regalia is typically not provided and is an additional cost for students. Last summer candidates for graduation were instructed to pay $160 for graduation fees which VUL committed to cover regalia costs for all graduates (regardless of attendance). Graduation is not mandatory but you do have to pay the fee in order to be formally cleared and receive your diploma. Members of the first graduating cohort who didn't attend graduation weren't given regalia and had to purchase them separately. VUL choose to have customized regalia from a vendor that charged the school nearly $800 (bulk rate) and then charged students who ordered later over $1000.  I get that the school had a tradition of ordering high-quality regalia for their School of Ministry doctoral grads as many will be wearing their gowns in religious or other academic ceremonies.  Honestly, if the school had used the policy from the previous DHA graduation there would not have been really any uproar. But once the school committed and then the stories of them passing out regalia that was earmarked for the non-attendees to folks who didn't pay graduation fees and later outright lie and claim there weren't funds for those not attending you should now understand the outrage. Furthermore, you add in the reports of regalia being taken at will as the university staff didn't monitor this at rehearsal, and then when faced with a shortage quietly decide to announce 3 days after the ceremony that no regalia will be provided you should see how unethical and unprofessional this behavior has been viewed by many. Materials were supposed to be mailed out 2 weeks after. But fast forward almost 6 weeks later and nothing has been mailed and the school does an about-face on promised regalia and still could at times provide an eta on diplomas you now see why this blew up into a major issue and why many complained on Facebook as that was the only outlet (there was an email chain on the school's internal email system that was completely ignored by the administration as well).

I would say for many that it is somewhat important to have a bond from a school they have finished after graduation. Typically this is most important at the undergraduate level than the graduate level and for those attending in person rather than online. However, for many graduates of programs that employ a connected cohort model, it's not uncommon for a strong alliance with an institution to develop as many have an alumni association in place to help continue the connection. I have 2 master's degrees and I'm very connected to the alumni association of my first Masters (earned at a top research school) while not so much from my 2nd master's (a for-profit online school). Also, most African-American HBCU graduates tend to want to have a connection as well with their alma maters since HBCUs played such an important part in our history and were the only place for education thru the 20th century.   I left a For-Profit doctoral program to come to VUL in hopes to help the school as well as thoughts of also having that HBCU connection after graduation. My dad attended Edward Waters College (an HBCU in Jacksonville Florida)  back in the late 1950s but was forced to drop out due to finances (he was drafted into the army, got married, and never went back to school) so earning a doctorate at an HBCU was a way for me to honor his dream.  The HBCU culture post-graduation for many is huge in the African American community and in many ways allows for informal networking in business.

I would say based on how VUL mistreated many in my situation along with the lack of outreach and communication I don't see much of a connection going forward with the school formally. However, I do hope to continue to connect with my cohort and other graduates. Networking is very important and I would be happy to help another graduate and I hope vice versa.
[-] The following 4 users Like PurpleReign's post:
  • ashkir, CatsDomino, newdegree, ss20ts
(02-03-2023, 03:12 AM)debrag Wrote: Regalia as in cap & gown? We have to order it ourselves in UK & if you don't go to graduation you don't get or need it. Do you have to go to graduation to actually graduate in America? We get our diplomas sent not at graduation (correct me if I'm wrong', pretty sure the scroll isn't the diploma).

Things are very different in the US. I've graduated 5 times and received my regalia for each graduation even when not participating in the Commencement ceremonies. Doctorates often ceremonies later in their career and wear their regalia to the ceremonies.

Some schools give you your diploma at Commencement. While others mail them to you. Nothing here is 100% any specific way as each school is free to do what they want.
(02-03-2023, 01:07 PM)PurpleReign Wrote:

Regalia is typically not provided and is an additional cost for students. Last summer candidates for graduation were instructed to pay $160 for graduation fees which VUL committed to cover regalia costs for all graduates (regardless of attendance). Graduation is not mandatory but you do have to pay the fee in order to be formally cleared and receive your diploma. Members of the first graduating cohort who didn't attend graduation weren't given regalia and had to purchase them separately. VUL choose to have customized regalia from a vendor that charged the school nearly $800 (bulk rate) and then charged students who ordered later over $1000.  I get that the school had a tradition of ordering high-quality regalia for their School of Ministry doctoral grads as many will be wearing their gowns in religious or other academic ceremonies.  Honestly, if the school had used the policy from the previous DHA graduation there would not have been really any uproar. But once the school committed and then the stories of them passing out regalia that was earmarked for the non-attendees to folks who didn't pay graduation fees and later outright lie and claim there weren't funds for those not attending you should now understand the outrage. Furthermore, you add in the reports of regalia being taken at will as the university staff didn't monitor this at rehearsal, and then when faced with a shortage quietly decide to announce 3 days after the ceremony that no regalia will be provided you should see how unethical and unprofessional this behavior has been viewed by many. Materials were supposed to be mailed out 2 weeks after. But fast forward almost 6 weeks later and nothing has been mailed and the school does an about-face on promised regalia and still could at times provide an eta on diplomas you now see why this blew up into a major issue and why many complained on Facebook as that was the only outlet (there was an email chain on the school's internal email system that was completely ignored by the administration as well).

Wow you still pay even if you don't attend. We only pay for guest tickets, photos (if you want) , cap & gown rental . Your fee would cover all this and be cheaper though.
Sorry this is all interesting to me. Sorry to derail the thread.
International: UK
Future degree:
MSc Criminology & Criminal Psychology - Essex University
MBA - ENEB

Degrees in process:
BS Health Science 2024 - The University of the People
BSc Open (Health focus) 2023 - The Open University

Degrees completed:

BN Adult Nursing 2020 - Portsmouth University
Credits: Sophia (81)

(02-07-2023, 08:52 AM)debrag Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 01:07 PM)PurpleReign Wrote:

Wow you still pay even if you don't attend. We only pay for guest tickets, photos (if you want) , cap & gown rental . Your fee would cover all this and be cheaper though.
Sorry this is all interesting to me. Sorry to derail the thread.

Not every school is the same at excelsior college I paid a graduation fee of $125 for them to send you your diploma and finalize your graduation/transcript. I went to VUL and the graduation was overall good.
Degrees In Progress:
EVMS Doctor of Health Science
Completed Degrees:
Doctor of Healthcare Administration Dec 2021 
Masters of Business Administration July 2022
Masters of Public Administration '19
Masters of Arts in Urban Affairs '17
Masters of Arts in Criminal Justice '16
Bachelors of Science in Police Studies '14
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Criminal Investigations '15

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $15000 Doctorate NA ashkir 128 17,179 04-11-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  32-credit doctorate in systems engineer? It's possible! sanantone 4 2,005 04-07-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA from EIU Paris - 2yrs total €5000 WES recognised as Doctorate? FrHaseKopf 5 484 03-17-2024, 11:15 PM
  Seeking Doctorate in National Security or Public Policy FireMedic_Philosopher 23 1,177 03-07-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Universidad Azteca's new doctorate programs Kalas 8 823 02-25-2024, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  EIMT Doctorate Program reputation EducationSeeker 8 4,097 02-16-2024, 01:36 AM
Last Post: sbeaty
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 972 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  FREE doctorate in Economy & Government (in Spanish, in Spain) Kalas 1 501 01-26-2024, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Help me pick my next doctorate! jfitzg8876 5 923 11-07-2023, 04:47 PM
  Liberty University Doctorate DBA Rhashad 20 3,891 09-28-2023, 11:07 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess