Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU BS-CS in 1 term?
(12-23-2019, 12:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Your main issue is going to be that you're not actually transferring 61cr to WGU - you will have the GE waived (about 30cr) and they will apply your credits to the major requirements on a course-by-course evaluation. So you may get more or less credits than you think - this listing shows what the max is, but you may have additional credits due to taking some courses or not.

So if you took 7 courses you needed through Study.com (maybe 2/mo for mo1, 2/mo for mo2, 3/mo for mo3), you'd be done in 3 months, for a cost of $667, and then have exactly 31cr left to finish at WGU, which is definitely doable in 6 months or less.

Also, you might want to consider skipping the AA, and just going straight to Study.com/Saylor and then WGU sooner. Many of the courses you're taking aren't required. Calc 1B and 1C for instance. Physics will get your credits, but you could also taking something else through a course provider. If you stopped the AA entirely, and just switched to course providers who would give you what you needed, you could complete these in a few months, and start at WGU MUCH sooner, making it easier to graduate sooner.

I am stumped now.
To get an Associate degree and enroll to wgu I needed 3 more classes in the spring quarter But as of now I was only able to get into 1 class(data structures),
I couldn’t get into x86 processor Assembly language class and Physics 4B class.

Could I just skip these two and not get an associates degree so my enrollment date is not pushed further by another quarter after next one!? Which would mean skipping the AS-T degree from my community college.
I can take Couple Saylor classes instead next quarter? And then transfer those?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(12-17-2019, 09:27 PM)natshar Wrote: You got this!! I think what you have seems doable.

Saylor is free to try out so you can look through the courses and see if you like it. The final exam costs $25 and your grade is based solely on this exam. Saylor is tricky and a lot of people on this forum prefer others to Saylor (myself included). That being said the price is unbearable and since it is free to study at course, I suggest you at least look through a course.

Study.com has a zillion little quizzes, and a final exam. Also some of the upper level courses require a project or essay. They have videos to go with each quiz which you dont need to watch, but should unless you know the subject. A lot of people in this forum prefer study.com due to the fact they offer more variety than anyone else and your whole grade isn't jsut one exam. Also worth study.com there is a limit of 5 a month, so as you are on a time crunch you might want to not do only study.com.

Other options include clep and dsst which I doubt would be useful since you probably have most of your gen Ed's done. There is a dsst on cybersecurity and another in ethics in technology. These are exams you take at a test center (usually a college). You study for these on your own.

Another thing to look into are the free TEEX cybersecurity courses. Not only are they free but they might count somewhere towards your degree, I'd ask.

Why is Saylor tricky?
Also I hate writing long essays and research papers so not sure about study.com.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(02-28-2020, 02:11 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote: To get an Associate degree and enroll to wgu I needed 3 more classes in the spring quarter But as of now I was only able to get into 1 class(data structures),

Could I just skip these two and not get an associates degree so my enrollment date is not pushed further by another quarter after next one!? Which would mean skipping the AS-T degree from my community college.

You don't need an AS degree to get into WGU. In fact, there really is very little value in an associate's degree at all unless you plan to stop at the associate's degree level. WGU won't care about the AS-T, they'll look at your credits individually either way. They may waive some of the GenEds if you complete the AST, but those make up maybe 30-40 of 120 credits required to graduate. Plus you still have to complete the courses either way.

If you don't think you're ready to just enroll directly at WGU, then you should take a look at the classes required for the degree you're interested in at WGU and take those courses via Study.com or Straighterline (or Saylor, but Saylor kind of sucks) and then transfer them to WGU when you're ready to begin. Though if you can get through courses in a community college, you are ready for WGU.

Whether you continue at your CC or move on to online providers like SL and SDC, just keep in mind that you cannot transfer anything new to WGU once you're enrolled, so make sure to finish and transfer your courses at least a few weeks before your WGU start date.

(02-28-2020, 02:11 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote: Also I hate writing long essays and research papers so not sure about study.com.

If you hate writing papers, you're going to need to get over that if you plan to earn a bachelor's degree. It is hard to avoid writing papers in college. Particularly once you get into 3rd & 4th-year upper-division courses.

I used to have a similar outlook... I didn't like writing essays since I didn't feel like I was very good at it. But because I knew it was a required skill, I worked at it and took writing and research courses from Study.com and SL to help me prepare. Between that, and the all the writing I had to do for my capstone, I got pretty good at it. My master's degree required a ton more writing. These days I actually prefer papers to exams.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-23-2019, 01:22 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm going to 2nd dfrecore suggestion. If I were you once you have this semesters grades posted (Dec 2019) I would apply to WGU and send over your transcripts ASAP. WGU evaluates very quickly and then you'll know where you stand with them - that will not only make it easier to know what you need to earn the bachelor, it will likely make it quicker and cheaper too. Once the WGU evaluation is complete come back and report - we can guide you on how to get the most credits (90) before starting WGU so you can finish in the single term (before Nov 2020).
I have decided not to finish my associates degree because that would take me couple more quarters. I have 4 classes remaining for associates: calculus 1c, Physics 4a, Physics 4b, Data structures and Assembly. 
I talked to the enrollment counsellor today and he said my start date might be june 1(ugh). I have to wait till my current classes's grades are posted to send them the transcript. But hopefully many of my cc classes would transfer out. Meanwhile I might try to do saylor classes if I can finish them before my start date.

(12-23-2019, 12:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Your main issue is going to be that you're not actually transferring 61cr to WGU - you will have the GE waived (about 30cr) and they will apply your credits to the major requirements on a course-by-course evaluation.  So you may get more or less credits than you think - this listing shows what the max is, but you may have additional credits due to taking some courses or not.

So if you took 7 courses you needed through Study.com (maybe 2/mo for mo1, 2/mo for mo2, 3/mo for mo3), you'd be done in 3 months, for a cost of $667, and then have exactly 31cr left to finish at WGU, which is definitely doable in 6 months or less.

Also, you might want to consider skipping the AA, and just going straight to Study.com/Saylor and then WGU sooner.  Many of the courses you're taking aren't required.  Calc 1B and 1C for instance.  Physics will get your credits, but you could also taking something else through a course provider.  If you stopped the AA entirely, and just switched to course providers who would give you what you needed, you could complete these in a few months, and start at WGU MUCH sooner, making it easier to graduate sooner.

I have decided to skip associates. After this quarter ends and the grades are posted I will send in my transcript for evaluation. I talked with the enrollment counsellor at wgu today and he said my possible start date might be june 1(which is so far..) . In that case I should start taking courses from elsewhere too so I can knock 1 or 2 courses out before transferring. But I dont know which courses should I take. Are there additional courses than those mentioned in my original post that I should take? Also I wont be finishing Physics 4A, 4b, Calc 1C, Assembly at cc in this case but I have finished Physics 2A that had a lab too. Is that something I would need to take before starting at wgu?
Thanks

(02-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 02:11 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote: To get an Associate degree and enroll to wgu I needed 3 more classes in the spring quarter But as of now I was only able to get into 1 class(data structures),

You don't need an AS degree to get into WGU. In fact, there really is very little value in an associate's degree at all unless you plan to stop at the associate's degree level. WGU won't care about the AS-T, they'll look at your credits individually either way. They may waive some of the GenEds if you complete the AST, but those make up maybe 30-40 of 120 credits required to graduate. Plus you still have to complete the courses either way.

If you don't think you're ready to just enroll directly at WGU, then you should take a look at the classes required for the degree you're interested in at WGU and take those courses via Study.com or Straighterline (or Saylor, but Saylor kind of sucks) and then transfer them to WGU when you're ready to begin. Though if you can get through courses in a community college, you are ready for WGU.

Whether you continue at your CC or move on to online providers like SL and SDC, just keep in mind that you cannot transfer anything new to WGU once you're enrolled, so make sure to finish and transfer your courses at least a few weeks before your WGU start date.

(02-28-2020, 02:11 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote: Also I hate writing long essays and research papers so not sure about study.com.

If you hate writing papers, you're going to need to get over that if you plan to earn a bachelor's degree. It is hard to avoid writing papers in college. Particularly once you get into 3rd & 4th-year upper-division courses.

I used to have a similar outlook... I didn't like writing essays since I didn't feel like I was very good at it. But because I knew it was a required skill, I worked at it and took writing and research courses from Study.com and SL to help me prepare. Between that, and the all the writing I had to do for my capstone, I got pretty good at it. My master's degree required a ton more writing. These days I actually prefer papers to exams.

Why does saylor suck?
(03-20-2020, 06:26 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Merlin Wrote: If you don't think you're ready to just enroll directly at WGU, then you should take a look at the classes required for the degree you're interested in at WGU and take those courses via Study.com or Straighterline (or Saylor, but Saylor kind of sucks) and then transfer them to WGU when you're ready to begin. Though if you can get through courses in a community college, you are ready for WGU.

Why does saylor suck?

Saylor is a mixed bag. Free is nice, but it comes down to quality in my opinion. I found that their prep material didn't match up well against the tests, plus the tests themselves were not well developed. But then again, I may have been spoiled by providers like Sophia, Study.com, and StraighterLine. I didn't like Shmoop for many of the same reasons I didn't like Saylor. There isn't much (if anything) that Saylor provides that cannot be picked up via alternate providers.

Personally, I think Sophia is the highest quality provider overall. Unfortunately, I only took free courses with them because I felt that the regular courses were too expensive per credit. But, they're offering free courses right now, so I'd seriously consider jumping on those if I were working on my undergrad degree right now.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Do whatever you can to not take the SQL development courses at WGU. Oracle will bog you down big time. It's a difficult cert full of mintue and Study.com will make your life much easier. Saylor's DB course isn't bad either.

Data Management - Applications     4     
*Computer Science 303

Structured Query Language     4     
*Computer Science 204

Fundamentals of Information Security   3 *Computer Science 110, *Computer Science 202
Taking certs to get out of this one would be rough, the ones listed are a little more time intensive. Study.com would be a good option. I'd do this over WGU

MTA Networking, Database are really good sources of LL credit but Microsoft is getting rid of them by June.

MTA HTML 5 applications or CIW are super easy for web development if you need them.

Java programming is another one you can start getting out of the way. Depending on where your add coding wise there are some good Java resources like Code Academy, Linda, Udemy and others that will get you up to speed faster and is more visual if that's your thing. Just use the certification exam guidelines to make sure you're hitting the write points and use exam dumps to prep for the exam. It doesn't have much to do with your actual programming ability, just syntax and thinking like the JVM.

Oracle Certified Associate (OCA, Java (SE 7 or 8) 6
Oracle Certified Java Professional 6

Saylor Software Engineering isn't bad. If you have any UML experience it'll be a breeze. Saylor programming course Compsci 101, 102 and C++ programming 107 are really good as well, and you can pretty much knock them all out at the same time as Java and C++ are used in all of them. With your credit I don' t think you'll need these courses, but keep them in mind.

That could get you 20-30 potentially, give or take. Maybe a few more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Knocking out the two Software I and II and the Database courses would be the best thing to get out of the way fast. Just don't do the Oracle SQL Certification through WGU because it'll likely take you all the way to June just for that one.

Do all of the CompTIA certs for credit at WGU. Study for them in preparation and then knock out A+, Network+, Project+. Artificial Intelligence, Software Quality, and Operating Systems I would do as part of the 30 credits you have to do three.

Honestly, TESU may be the better option for Computer Science than WGU. There aren't a ton of things you can transfer in for credit in the program, they aren't going to take as many credits. Whatever is left that doesn't line up would go to electives, and you'd need 18 CS courses that can bee things like TEEX (10 credits), C++ from Saylor, Google Support Cert. and a whole slew of UL options at study.com and you'd be taking just as many study.com courses.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
(03-20-2020, 11:38 PM)xicovu Wrote: Do whatever you can to not take the SQL development courses at WGU. Oracle will bog you down big time. It's a difficult cert full of mintue and Study.com will make your life much easier. Saylor's DB course isn't bad either.

Data Management - Applications     4     
*Computer Science 303

Structured Query Language     4     
*Computer Science 204

Fundamentals of Information Security   3 *Computer Science 110, *Computer Science 202
Taking certs to get out of this one would be rough, the ones listed are a little more time intensive. Study.com would be a good option. I'd do this over WGU

MTA Networking, Database are really good sources of LL credit but Microsoft is getting rid of them by June.

MTA HTML 5 applications or CIW are super easy for web development if you need them.

Java programming is another one you can start getting out of the way. Depending on where your add coding wise there are some good Java resources like Code Academy, Linda, Udemy and others that will get you up to speed faster and is more visual if that's your thing. Just use the certification exam guidelines to make sure you're hitting the write points and use exam dumps to prep for the exam. It doesn't have much to do with your actual programming ability, just syntax and thinking like the JVM.

Oracle Certified Associate (OCA, Java (SE 7 or 8) 6
Oracle Certified Java Professional 6

Saylor Software Engineering isn't bad. If you have any UML experience it'll be a breeze. Saylor programming course Compsci 101, 102 and C++ programming 107 are really good as well, and you can pretty much knock them all out at the same time as Java and C++ are used in all of them. With your credit I don' t think you'll need these courses, but keep them in mind.

That could get you 20-30 potentially, give or take. Maybe a few more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Knocking out the two Software I and II and the Database courses would be the best thing to get out of the way fast. Just don't do the Oracle SQL Certification through WGU because it'll likely take you all the way to June just for that one.

Do all of the CompTIA certs for credit at WGU. Study for them in preparation and then knock out A+, Network+, Project+. Artificial Intelligence, Software Quality, and Operating Systems I would do as part of the 30 credits you have to do three.

Honestly, TESU may be the better option for Computer Science than WGU. There aren't a ton of things you can transfer in for credit in the program, they aren't going to take as many credits. Whatever is left that doesn't line up would go to electives, and you'd need 18 CS courses that can bee things like TEEX (10 credits), C++ from Saylor, Google Support Cert. and a whole slew of UL options at study.com and you'd be taking just as many study.com courses.
Sorry, I am confused by a lot of this:
"Taking certs to get out of this one would be rough, the ones listed are a little more time intensive."   What do you mean by this?
"MTA Networking, Database are really good sources of LL credit but Microsoft is getting rid of them by June."   Whats MTA? Whats LL?
"just use the certification exam guidelines to make sure you're hitting the write points and use exam dumps to prep for the exam"  whats certification exam guidelines? whats exam dumps?
"Knocking out the two Software I and II and the Database courses would be the best thing to get out of the way fast."  This at wgu?
"Just don't do the Oracle SQL Certification through WGU because it'll likely take you all the way to June just for that one."  What do you mean it will take me to june? Do you mean do it at study.com and it will be faster?
 "Honestly, TESU may be the better option for Computer Science than WGU."  I am not really familiar with TESU. I searched accelerated degree program and wgu was the one that popped up the most in my research. Whats TESU and how does that work? Is TESU also selfpaced like wgu? How is that one better?

(03-20-2020, 09:30 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 06:26 PM)THEBLASTFUN Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 02:29 PM)Merlin Wrote: If you don't think you're ready to just enroll directly at WGU, then you should take a look at the classes required for the degree you're interested in at WGU and take those courses via Study.com or Straighterline (or Saylor, but Saylor kind of sucks) and then transfer them to WGU when you're ready to begin. Though if you can get through courses in a community college, you are ready for WGU.

Why does saylor suck?

Saylor is a mixed bag. Free is nice, but it comes down to quality in my opinion. I found that their prep material didn't match up well against the tests, plus the tests themselves were not well developed. But then again, I may have been spoiled by providers like Sophia, Study.com, and StraighterLine. I didn't like Shmoop for many of the same reasons I didn't like Saylor. There isn't much (if anything) that Saylor provides that cannot be picked up via alternate providers.

Personally, I think Sophia is the highest quality provider overall. Unfortunately, I only took free courses with them because I felt that the regular courses were too expensive per credit. But, they're offering free courses right now, so I'd seriously consider jumping on those if I were working on my undergrad degree right now.
I am hearing about sophia the first time today. Whats sophia like? Do they have information on things that can be transferred to wgu?

Regarding your questions about WGU and TESU I'll summmarize a little better. I can be all over the place sometimes Smile

WGU is almost entirely industry certification tests. Some of these tests are very, very difficult without teaching you very much. For CS, the WGU database courses are hard even for experienced folks without teaching decent theory to newbies. The Java certification will probably bog you down pretty hard too. It's only "accelerated" if you are able to cram and pass these tests.

TESU is going to be the same sort of deal as what you are doing with WGU, but you can transfer in way more credits and they'll take way more credits. WGU is very strict on what they will and will not take. TESU will take all of your credits you've got almost for certain, where WGU won't.

TESU will allow a wider variety of courses for CS electives from study.com and you would only need 18 for the major course. The electives can be whatever you want and are able to get done quickly so it's more flexible. Especially with you being a new student vs. someone coming from industry I think it's a better option that you can still accelerate, will give you better courses, and take more of you credits.

Taking the Coursera Google Support Cert. should give you 12 credits to apply

I don't recommend any technology program at WGU for the most part other than the basic BS Information technology because of the hoops you'll have to go through and the knowledge gaps it's going to leave a newbie. Study.com has much higher quality and more diverse courses that can be applied to TESU. The Big 3 are the original WGU in a sense, but without the name recognition.

TESU is going to look a lot better on a new grad's resume just coming into the industry because it's a state school. No one will know the difference between it or Weber State, Murray State or Brower State University. People know what WGU is pretty well by this point and the optics aren't going to look good if that's where your degree is coming from going into the industry without experience. Rightly or wrongly the perception will be there if its a known online school it isn't the same quality and they'll question why you had to get it there. It's worth extra time and effort necessary in the long run from to do TESU simply for perception.

If you don't have this already:
https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx

That shows the WGU courses and what can be transferred for credit. My initial post may be more nonsensical if you have that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walden or WGU MBA in 1 term... Arkansas-study 6 293 04-04-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,358 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
  WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term bjcheung77 26 12,168 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  My One Term WGU MBA Popestt 8 5,762 01-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: LongRoad
  WGU term breaks? KellyClyde 0 3,404 09-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Last Post: KellyClyde
  Is ten courses at WGU in one term going to make me crazy? udi 18 7,019 06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: akr680
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,939 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU - Discount for Last Term if it's Only the Capstone? rowan555 2 7,162 05-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Last Post: rowan555
  WGU - How Many Courses Per Term to Shoot For? rowan555 6 7,601 01-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore