Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA Capstone Question
For "working with a real business" in the WGU MBA Capstone, can it be a non-profit organization, or does it have to be a for-profit business? Thanks!
From the looks of things, it shouldn't matter at all as there is a component for you to work in a team of 3/4 in a mock business.
MBA PDF: https://m.wgu.edu/content/dam/western-go...MBA_BA.pdf

MBA Capstone
This course is the culminating assessment of the MBA curriculum and covers all previous assessment topics. You will work
with a real-world organization to develop a solution to a business problem. In addition, you will work in teams of three or
four students to simulate running a business. One unique aspect of the simulation is that there are scheduled dates each
week for simulation decisions. Since all teams are required to meet the deadlines and work at the same pace this aspect of
the assessment cannot be accelerated.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I know about the team simulation, I was wondering about the hands-on part with a real business, if a non-profit would be acceptable.
(10-11-2017, 12:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: From the looks of things, it shouldn't matter at all as there is a component for you to work in a team of 3/4 in a mock business.
MBA PDF: https://m.wgu.edu/content/dam/western-go...MBA_BA.pdf

MBA Capstone
This course is the culminating assessment of the MBA curriculum and covers all previous assessment topics. You will work
with a real-world organization to develop a solution to a business problem.  In addition, you will work in teams of three or
four students to simulate running a business. One unique aspect of the simulation is that there are scheduled dates each
week for simulation decisions.  Since all teams are required to meet the deadlines and work at the same pace this aspect of
the assessment cannot be accelerated.

The simulation does not negate the "work with a real-world organization to develop a solution to a business problem" part.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-11-2017, 02:54 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: I know about the team simulation, I was wondering about the hands-on part with a real business, if a non-profit would be acceptable.

It can be any business, profit, non profit, your current work place, etc.... check it out, this is from someone who did the program 6 months ago.  Reddit Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/63...anagement/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • amilitab4k9
(10-11-2017, 02:54 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote: I know about the team simulation, I was wondering about the hands-on part with a real business, if a non-profit would be acceptable.

You can definitely use a non-profit. I used one of my organization's hospitals (very large not-for-profit healthcare system). If I recall correctly, there's no restriction on the type of business that you can work with, so long as you can hit several operational areas. You could even use a friend's home-based business, so long as you can write to the requirements of the project. I wouldn't recommend using a smaller business due to the limitations in scope that would come with that, but it can be done.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
[-] The following 1 user Likes dmjacobsen's post:
  • amilitab4k9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 638 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 684 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Anyone know anything about Arkansas State Online? Also have a question about doctorat Randyb100 7 1,166 03-15-2023, 09:01 PM
Last Post: siersema
  Question about ENEB Big Data Masters OTmina 3 1,128 02-17-2023, 08:05 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
Big Grin Where are my Amberton peeps? Have a question suzycupcake 7 1,121 10-30-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  Walden MBA transcript question Whitepines 9 1,505 07-30-2021, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Whitepines
  Harvard Extension quality of classes question rpmranger 6 1,602 09-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Question on seminar graduate course Imbanewbie 9 1,743 08-28-2020, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Question? dewisant 12 2,333 02-13-2020, 12:58 AM
Last Post: dewisant
  Which is better - multiple degrees question jamshid666 8 2,182 10-17-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: cookderosa