Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA Course Configuration Input Needed
(10-23-2018, 01:33 PM)Kima Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 01:20 PM)jjsafari Wrote: So far my courses appear to be in the same order as they were prior to being assigned a mentor other than the first semester reflecting approved.

I have noticed that some of the instruction for some of the courses appear to be very vague, anyone want to volunteeer to answer my course specific questions for the MBA? Ex: what do they actually want you to do when they evaluate the communication modalities?

Which course are you referring to?  Most courses include a detailed explanation of what is expected in the PA under the Course Tips section menu.  Some are in the form of videos and others are documents.  I usually check out Course Tips before I do anything else in a course.

Management Communication – C204 is one that i thought was a little vague. 

I could say: email is the best and you should always be positive. but i feel like that's not really what they are looking for when they say evaluate communication modalities. 

I wish someone had a stash of example assignments so I can know how much work I really need to do. So far it really seems like I am going a little too far above and beyond what they are asking for.
As long as you have completed orientation, you're allowed to reach out to course instructors for clarification even before 11/1.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(10-23-2018, 01:37 PM)jjsafari Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 01:33 PM)Kima Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 01:20 PM)jjsafari Wrote: So far my courses appear to be in the same order as they were prior to being assigned a mentor other than the first semester reflecting approved.

I have noticed that some of the instruction for some of the courses appear to be very vague, anyone want to volunteeer to answer my course specific questions for the MBA? Ex: what do they actually want you to do when they evaluate the communication modalities?

Which course are you referring to?  Most courses include a detailed explanation of what is expected in the PA under the Course Tips section menu.  Some are in the form of videos and others are documents.  I usually check out Course Tips before I do anything else in a course.

Management Communication – C204 is one that i thought was a little vague. 

I could say: email is the best and you should always be positive. but i feel like that's not really what they are looking for when they say evaluate communication modalities. 

I wish someone had a stash of example assignments so I can know how much work I really need to do. So far it really seems like I am going a little too far above and beyond what they are asking for.
I'm in the MBA IT Management program, so I didn't have to take C204.  So I can't speak to that specific task, but what I can tell you is that when they ask you to "evaluate" something they want details -like pros and cons, when to use, why to use, comparisons and details that support your assertion.  The only time a single sentence will meet the requirement is when they ask you to "identify" something.   Hope that helps.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(10-23-2018, 01:37 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Management Communication – C204 is one that i thought was a little vague. 

I responded with: Email is good for this purpose... but it falls short here... so instead I would... or in addition I would...

But mine hasn't been graded yet, so I don't know if I'm on the right track.
(10-24-2018, 04:56 PM)amilitab4k9 Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 01:37 PM)jjsafari Wrote: Management Communication – C204 is one that i thought was a little vague. 

I responded with: Email is good for this purpose... but it falls short here... so instead I would... or in addition I would...

But mine hasn't been graded yet, so I don't know if I'm on the right track.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.  Good luck!
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

I guess this can be my progress thread.

Start date 11/01/18

As of 11/14/18:
44%
15/34 CU's

1 OA scheduled for Saturday the 17th.

1 pre-assessment planned for Wednesday the 21st, then OA for the 24th.

Hope to be 21/34 on the 24th.

Biggest takeaway so far:
Write the papers with the prompts as headings so that the grader knows exactly what you are addressing so they do not count you off for missing a point that is actually there, EVEN IF it makes the paper FAR less readable. You can write excellent papers all you want, but it does not matter if the random person checking the boxes on the rubric does not take the time to understand what you MEANT rather than what you could have pinpointed with the heading.

Made up example:
A2a. Describe a way that blah blah blah is an effective ethical policy
Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph
Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph Paragraph. Etc.

Things I am not looking forward to: DDDM course. Feedback online says this course and the evaluation team are in need of improvement/more conforming standards.
You are almost half done in less than one month? No wonder some people can finish in 3 months or four. I start in Jan 2019. I'll be looking at this for reference. Following this thread. Thanks for the updates.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-14-2018, 04:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You are almost half done in less than one month? No wonder some people can finish in 3 months or four. I start in Jan 2019. I'll be looking at this for reference. Following this thread. Thanks for the updates.

I will say it is more difficult than I was expecting and you do need a business background to go this fast. Try to take all of the preassessments cold and see where you place. The papers you can generally do if you follow the prompts with minimal study.
Oh one more thing, your signature shows a few certs, and degrees, could you elaborate the concentrations if any and how you got them? Did you test out of everything but the cornerstone and capstone? Thanks
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-14-2018, 04:13 PM)jjsafari Wrote: I will say it is more difficult than I was expecting and you do need a business background to go this fast. Try to take all of the preassessments cold and see where you place. The papers you can generally do if you follow the prompts with minimal study.

I agree with this- Having a business background or undergrad makes a HUGE difference. I took all pre-assessments cold and actually passed all of them. However, I did study my weakest points to ensure I'd pass the final test. 

With the papers, format it just as the assignment is, matching their headings so they know what to check off on the rubric. If you have to do revisions, do them in red and let the grader know. I had to revise two papers so far, which consisted of adding a few sentences of clarification for each. You don't have to study to do the papers, though you may have to look up and reference a few things. 

I was nervous about Data-Driven Decision Making, but it's been a lot easier than I expected. I've already passed the test, just need to write the paper. Overall, the whole program is easier than I expected.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Input on My Amberton University Master's/HR Certification Plan Claudia P 8 571 02-13-2024, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Claudia P
  Online MSCS from University of Colorado Boulder, No bachelor’s degree needed frankc 13 3,028 04-22-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  RA Masters needed 18 old credits BethB 7 1,198 04-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  Advice needed on which Grad school to choose lyndsey233 15 3,336 12-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Last Post: lyndsey233
  Need Input/Advice ThatBankDude 7 1,408 02-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Advice needed- Graduate Program for teaching gstekis 13 4,517 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Last Post: sterjs