Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Post-Baccalaureate Program
I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?
(11-23-2019, 11:33 AM)Peculiar Patty Wrote: I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?

I don't have any experience with any specific certification programs via WGU, but if your problem is related to meeting a specific GPA requirement, you may want to look for a different college since WGU doesn't provide graded credits which means no GPA.

Yes, WGU internally considers a passing score to be equivalent to a B, but that doesn't guarantee that other institutions will reflect that 3.0 GPA recommendation. Many colleges just ignore courses that are listed with a Pass or CR for purposes of GPA calculation, others may provide a C equivalency. So if it is the NJDOE doing the evaluation, you may want to find out how they evaluate ungraded credits before signing up for anything at WGU.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-23-2019, 06:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 11:33 AM)Peculiar Patty Wrote: I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?

I don't have any experience with any specific certification programs via WGU, but if your problem is related to meeting a specific GPA requirement, you may want to look for a different college since WGU doesn't provide graded credits which means no GPA.

Yes, WGU internally considers a passing score to be equivalent to a B, but that doesn't guarantee that other institutions will reflect that 3.0 GPA recommendation. Many colleges just ignore courses that are listed with a Pass or CR for purposes of GPA calculation, others may provide a C equivalency. So if it is the NJDOE doing the evaluation, you may want to find out how they evaluate ungraded credits before signing up for anything at WGU.

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I feel quite foolish but had not thought about that. Looks like my next step will be to contact the NJDOE tomorrow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 372 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer Science Program is now ABET accredited frankc 18 1,629 10-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSCSIA program changes raekwon 5 1,143 12-29-2022, 04:35 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Does any WGU program give credit for passing any FINRA exams? MaMichelle 1 670 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU Covered by Amazon Career Choice program MNomadic 9 3,079 03-30-2022, 04:55 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU IT Program Changes 9/14/20 GizmoJack 13 3,945 10-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: maxxor6868
  Which IT Program? bext 1 1,053 10-02-2020, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BSN program amomwholearns 4 1,404 09-25-2020, 01:56 PM
Last Post: dmjacobsen
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,341 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  What can transfer to WGU Teaching Program??? Idreamofadegree 7 2,474 08-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree