Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waiving foundation courses
the graduate admissions is asking to take some foundation courses. There are introduction accounting and business law. I do not have accounting major nor business degree, but my current job responsibilities needs to work related accounting and business related law. I am trying to talk to admission. The first try, they reject it. What should I do in this case?
Some programs are going to have leveling courses in which they will not waive without a business degree. This is done so in an effort to give you a foundation to build upon in those particular subject areas. Honestly, I am not sure any program would waive them but there are plenty of programs that do not require them.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
I don't see them just waiving them. See if they will accept ACE credit for them. You might have to get them put on a Big3 transcript for them to do so. This is one of those cases where credit banking can actually work. If they say it just has to appear on a college transcript, that's a good sign.

If ACE credit is out, they might accept the Business Law CLEP or the CLEP or DSST Financial accounting tests.

Otherwise, you'll have to take them at an actual college.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-22-2019, 12:12 PM)davewill Wrote: I don't see them just waiving them. See if they will accept ACE credit for them. You might have to get them put on a Big3 transcript for them to do so. This is one of those cases where credit banking can actually work. If they say it just has to appear on a college transcript, that's a good sign.

If ACE credit is out, they might accept the Business Law CLEP or the CLEP or DSST Financial accounting tests.

Otherwise, you'll have to take them at an actual college.

I resubmit for approval again with more detail about my responsability and courses I took training with my current company, let hope they accept and waive the foundation class.

(03-22-2019, 08:16 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Some programs are going to have leveling courses in which they will not waive without a business degree. This is done so in an effort to give you a foundation to build upon in those particular subject areas. Honestly, I am not sure any program would waive them but there are plenty of programs that do not require them.

ok good. I will see my resubmitting for approval again. 

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree? Can you share experience with the Southeastern Oklahoma State University online MBA program? What do you think about this program? What is the academic pressure and workload at Southeastern Oklahoma State University online MBA? Do you have good professor to take some of the Online MBA? Can you send me message with some of good recommendation professor? I also am looking for the Missouri state university which it is affordable too.

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or tips y'all might have.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

(03-22-2019, 02:50 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree for Southeastern Oklahoma State University?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

Yes you do.

(03-22-2019, 02:55 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 02:50 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the John Massey School of Business at Southeastern Oklahoma State University. The academic pressure is about what you would expect from an AACSB accredited program and the workload is manageable if you are capable of managing your time appropriately. Each professor I have had has been very good at leading the course and answering questions that one may have. Overall, it is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone looking to pursue a MBA online.

Do you need to take some foundation courses if you do not have business degree for Southeastern Oklahoma State University?

I'm pretty sure that most colleges will expect you to come into an MBA with a business degree, or if not, they will expect you to take foundational courses (if you didn't take them in undergrad) to make sure you're prepared for the coursework in the MBA. Many of the MBA courses build on existing concepts from undergraduate business courses, so it makes sense.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
My husband had a degree in business but still didn't have one of the leveling courses for his MBA (a stats course). They gave him the option of taking it on his own and transferring it in, or through the graduate school directly. Since he had a tuition benefit, he decided to take it through the school directly, but this was at graduate pricing, so if we were paying out of pocket it would have been a LOT cheaper to use the community college or DSST.
(03-23-2019, 10:23 AM)cookderosa Wrote: My husband had a degree in business but still didn't have one of the leveling courses for his MBA (a stats course). They gave him the option of taking it on his own and transferring it in, or through the graduate school directly.  Since he had a tuition benefit, he decided to take it through the school directly, but this was at graduate pricing, so if we were paying out of pocket it would have been a LOT cheaper to use the community college or DSST.
I agree with you, I resubmit for review the credit waiver. Let hope they can waive the law courses
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  Using Pell Grant for Graduate Courses while Undergrad SophiaPrincess 2 460 10-19-2023, 02:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith and 500 level courses vetvso 14 1,047 08-23-2023, 08:39 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Lightbulb Idaho State University Courses Learningnow 9 1,102 08-22-2023, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  ENEB courses: Let’s discuss the classwork Vle045 32 9,676 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: BadSquirrelBeta
  Master's Level Computer Science Courses (One at a time) udi 9 1,555 08-21-2022, 03:02 AM
Last Post: LaraPeter
  NDSU courses for teachers hsfamfun 3 1,075 04-02-2022, 08:09 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
Information Master's in Computer Science cheap pre-req courses MNomadic 5 1,547 01-15-2022, 08:50 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Leadership Courses @ $125 per Credit Hour sanantone 10 1,705 12-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Coursera MBA from Institute of Management Foundation - FIA Business School (FIA) durain 0 1,139 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: durain