Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the hardest class you have ever taken?
My worst class was Organic Chemistry II with lab 5 credits. When I started the class I had A's in all my previous Chemistry classes. While I was taking the class 3 hours of lecture and 2 hours of lab each week I was fired/Quit my job, I had a teenage daughter at home, I found a full time temp job while I looked for a full time real job then I found out I was pregnant. I got a full time job, tried to do it all through the first semester exhaustion, then a chicken Pox epidemic went through work and I wasn't sure I had ever had it (not good when you are pregnant). I finally cried my eyes out to my professor and was given a little more time to finish my last 2 lab write ups. Somehow I made a C and was happy it wasn't a D or F. That was the last college class I took for 20 years.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
You have to make an assumption that you receive interest payments monthly, not daily. The nominal rate is 0.01/12, or 0.000833/month. The average number of days per month in an average year is 365.2/12 = 30.43 days/ month. The amount of our accumulated daily deposits is therefore
P = 30.43*5 = 152.17 (same as $1826 per year/ 12 months/year)
Using the same technique as #5:
F = 152.17((1.00083)59 + (1.00083)58 + etc.
Summing the factors using a spreadsheet:
F = 152.17(61.499)
F = $9358.11

If you look at my equation the 60th month is actually at the end of the equation before the equal sign.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Don't know if this counts since its a Military Class:
Reactor Principles at Naval Nuclear Power School.
Basically an insane class that covers such topics as:
Reactor Physics, Nuclear Physics, and reactor dynamics.

For most in the program this is the class that breaks them and causes a failure. When I went through the program this was the class that caused the 75% attrition rate.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:Don't know if this counts since its a Military Class:
Reactor Principles at Naval Nuclear Power School.
Basically an insane class that covers such topics as:
Reactor Physics, Nuclear Physics, and reactor dynamics.

For most in the program this is the class that breaks them and causes a failure. When I went through the program this was the class that caused the 75% attrition rate.

Yes it counts. I took Persian Farsi at DLI. I thought that was hard. Those classes sound impossible. LOL
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Wow 75% attrition!! Is there a minimum grade required or does it just make people give up? I have a friend that just graduated from Nuclear Power School I know it took everything he had to pass.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
High School Honors Chemistry. Not understanding a word my Ghanaian professor was saying didn't help to spark an interest in the subject matter.banghead
Finished: BA Liberal Studies TESU 2016

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." - Earl Nightingale
Just based on pure difficulty of the material? Probably Analysis 1. For those unfamiliar you can think of it as "Calc 5". Analysis 1 and 2 were both tough just from the material.
Based on my preparation for it? Calc 1. I actually straight-up failed it and it was the experience of failing it that made me want to become a math major lol.
Based on life's extenuating circumstances? I've had several times in my life where I had to withdraw from all classes, regardless of their difficulty level. So I don't think those count.
Lindagerr Wrote:Wow 75% attrition!! Is there a minimum grade required or does it just make people give up? I have a friend that just graduated from Nuclear Power School I know it took everything he had to pass.

For Power School the minimum grade is a 2.5 based on a 4 point scale. Since the early 2000's the attrition rate has gone down due to not being able to get the numbers they needed out to the fleet to be operators (they eased up on some of the coursework and afforded more opportunities for a second, third or sometimes even a 4th chance to make it through).

I think that one of the biggest things that made it so hard for me was that we were in sunny Orlando Florida for a year and never really got to see the sunlight haha... You went into school with no windows (everything is classified so no windows allowed) in the early morning and left after it got dark. On top of the normal 40 hours of class during the week, it was not uncommon for one to spend another 40 to 50 hours of the week devoted to studying for exams.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:I think that one of the biggest things that made it so hard for me was that we were in sunny Orlando Florida for a year and never really got to see the sunlight haha... You went into school with no windows (everything is classified so no windows allowed) in the early morning and left after it got dark. On top of the normal 40 hours of class during the week, it was not uncommon for one to spend another 40 to 50 hours of the week devoted to studying for exams.

Sounds fun! I wonder why they have a high attrition rate???
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Introduction to Chemistry w/ Lab.

I tried to take it while on my first deployment to Afghanistan. Didn't work out so well. I then tried to retake it, and ended up missing the 40% of grade final when my daughter was born 45 days early.

Someone out there just doesn't want me to pass that class...
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Student signs up for class, finds out 2 months in that his professor died 2 years ago studyingfortests 5 748 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Class Ring pricing (rip off!) Vle045 11 2,060 01-27-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Student Loans Cancelled for an Entire Graduating Class Jonathan Whatley 9 2,318 05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Black NYU Student Kept from Attending Class sanantone 24 3,169 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Class Rings? rowan555 15 4,155 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Professor fails everyone in class ajs1976 8 1,374 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Last Post: defscarlett
  Class Dismissed - the movie cookderosa 1 1,004 11-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Big 3 Class Rings CLEP101 10 4,077 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  Message to the Class of 2013 IrishJohn 0 757 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Last Post: IrishJohn
  Starting a new class at my local USF this Monday ryoder 1 753 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Last Post: ryoder