Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of jobs can you get with a BA in Natural Science/Mathematics
I'm curious as to what kinds of jobs someone can get with this bachelor's. All I've read are of people getting this degree and becoming teachers, which is not what I want to do (aiming for something at least somewhat related to medicine). I'm considering getting this bachelor's because I work full time and have an 8 month old to take care of at the same time, and going to a B&M school isn't feasible at this time.
If you're interested in the medical field, then use this degree to complete the prerequisites for a medical laboratory technology internship that is accredited by NAACLS. Otherwise, you'll probably be stuck in low-paying lab tech jobs.

What you will qualify for depends on which courses/tests you take since this is a broad degree. If you focus on biology, chemistry, and environmental science, then you should look for jobs in labs, natural resource management, park ranger, environmental protection, and safety. If you focus on physics, mathematics, and computer science, then you should look for jobs that involve computer science, programming, statistics and quantitative research, and actuarial science. A strong math background might even get you into finance.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you take the appropriate course load to have a focus on some specific discipline (rather than introductory courses of several scientific disciplines), you should research what type of work one can pursue with an undergraduate degree in math, chemistry, biology, earth science, or whatever discipline you decide to pursue.

The people I know of that have science based undergraduate degrees often had to pursue graduate or terminal level degrees to become competitive in their respective areas. This could be very different depending on where you want to go in life. A forest ranger with an earth science based NS&M degree might be fine with an undergraduate degree, but someone working in bioinformatics may need a MS or PhD, for example. I am talking generally here, and hope that someone can correct me if I am mistaken on this.
Do you care about getting high pay?

Not all STEM majors pay well.

Math (with a grad degree or extra learning) will make a lot more money than something like chemistry. Many lab jobs have left the country for good over the past 20 years. The ones that are left don't pay that well.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I'm about to get this one. I just need any 4 year degree to qualify for more management jobs in my industry. Math is highly associated with computer work and finance so those are options too. I would like to teach, but there is too much silly red tape for any long-time commitment without more specialized educational training, so it looks like you can't just jump in for more than a few years. I'm not sure i have ever seen any job posting saying looking for someone with a 4-year liberal arts degree, but I think it'd be a little easier for hiring officials to justify a science/math degree as a related major.
petersouth Wrote:I'm about to get this one. I just need any 4 year degree to qualify for more management jobs in my industry. Math is highly associated with computer work and finance so those are options too. I would like to teach, but there is too much silly red tape for any long-time commitment without more specialized educational training, so it looks like you can't just jump in for more than a few years. I'm not sure i have ever seen any job posting saying looking for someone with a 4-year liberal arts degree, but I think it'd be a little easier for hiring officials to justify a science/math degree as a related major.

Now you have.

Quote:Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Health, Education, Social Work, Liberal Arts, a related field; or Associate’s degree in Health, Education, Social Work, Liberal Arts, a related field, or Registered Nurse or L.P.N. certification and two years of experience. Qualifying experience means verifiable full or part-time care management or customer service experience working with any of the following: persons living in poverty, persons with mental illness, homelessness, chemical dependence, HIV/AIDS, and/or other qualifying chronic conditions (diabetes, asthma, hypertension, etc).

Health Homes Outreach Intake Care Manager job - Southern Tier Care Coordination - Ithaca, NY | Indeed.com

Quote:EDUCATION REQUIRED
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Liberal Arts, Business or related field.
https://jobs-aicpa.icims.com/jobs/3694/d...ffset=-300

But, the liberal arts/liberal studies degree is just a check-the-box degree similar to a general studies degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The nature of this degree is to prevent you from really getting a depth in one area- they cap the number of credits you can earn in any of the sciences, so keep that in mind. This degree won't be the same as a degree in one of the sciences (biology, for instance) but you can pick-and choose how you fill your classes. Here's my caution, if you're using this for pre-reqs, be sure that it will actually meet the prereqs. Some of the pass/fail options won't work for prereqs that require letter grades, and you'll need labs for almost any science prereq. While it's more efficient to use this degree for prereqs, it will likely be more expensive to do so. Finding online science labs is a lot more money than people on this forum are accustomed to paying- its tuition plus books plus lab fees/supplies. Community college options are the lowest cost, but again, you need to be sure they work for your goals, because some competitive fields really want you using a 4-year college for sciences (like UNE) not a community college. You could easily spend $10,000 on just those classes (that doesn't count the rest of the degree that WILL require upper level sciences - cha ching).

In my opinion, you have to look at this degree in one of two ways. 1) as a liberal arts/check the box degree that satisfies either general requirements or your general desire to finish a degree.
2) a foundational degree for something else. If it's #2, you need to define the "something else" and then back-track to be sure you're meeting those requirements.

I think the problem with this degree is that it feels very "sciency" but doesn't really do anything specific in science. For sure without question, it is cheaper to focus on computers or maths vs bio/chem/physics.

(I am currently only 3 courses shy of completing this degree, but I've held off because of the cost of more upper level sciences)
This degree might also be useful for government work, and as sanantone pointed out, you can tailor it to your job search.
Thank you all for your responses. Something else I'm curious about is the straighterline courses and general online labs. What I'm wondering is if it's pointless to do labs online in getting this degree or if this is mainly a concern for those looking to do lab work or other types of clinical work with this degree. Also, I have 80ish credits, some of which might not really count anyways. Is it true I can transfer up to a max of 85 credits from a community college? I'm trying to avoid a b&m classroom setting, as I work full time, 2nd shift as a specimen processor and can't really do much constructive things during the week if it involves leaving home. I also would like to avoid retaking any classes or be forced to take exams for classes I already took.

I would like a job where I feel like I'm making somewhat of a difference (and not selling my soul to the devil ha ha), yet I can live comfortably. I don't need a lot of things, as I'm a pretty practical, resourceful person but I'm not okay working a $12/hour job that demands employees have a bachelor's. My second choice of bachelor's I may get from tesu instead is the psychology degree, which is far easier to get away with doing online (and is much easier to test out of from what I understand).
Sapphyreopal5 Wrote:Thank you all for your responses. Something else I'm curious about is the straighterline courses and general online labs. What I'm wondering is if it's pointless to do labs online in getting this degree or if this is mainly a concern for those looking to do lab work or other types of clinical work with this degree. Also, I have 80ish credits, some of which might not really count anyways. Is it true I can transfer up to a max of 85 credits from a community college? I'm trying to avoid a b&m classroom setting, as I work full time, 2nd shift as a specimen processor and can't really do much constructive things during the week if it involves leaving home. I also would like to avoid retaking any classes or be forced to take exams for classes I already took.

I would like a job where I feel like I'm making somewhat of a difference (and not selling my soul to the devil ha ha), yet I can live comfortably. I don't need a lot of things, as I'm a pretty practical, resourceful person but I'm not okay working a $12/hour job that demands employees have a bachelor's. My second choice of bachelor's I may get from tesu instead is the psychology degree, which is far easier to get away with doing online (and is much easier to test out of from what I understand).

I can't help you with the job stuff, but regarding the transfer- if your credits were earned at a community college, they'll all transfer assuming there is a slot for them to land in.
I did all my science labs online, which went fine, but they are expensive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM Mathematics AOS Electives shadowgem 8 1,882 08-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,694 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,461 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,198 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,344 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,270 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,767 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Science Lab Requirement ? stampbuyme 7 2,528 04-10-2018, 02:05 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  BS degree in fire science frankshorey 5 1,703 04-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun