Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the weirdest thing you've heard someone say about college?
Random Facebook "Friend": "Your job requires a degree for you to get promoted?! I'd quit!!".
Me: "You have a job you like, with teammates you like and an awesome boss (oh, and tuition reimbursement)...and you'd QUIT?!! You're an idiot."
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 2 users Like quigongene's post:
  • alab21, burbuja0512
My BFF's daughter is considering graduating with her BS and then going and working IN HER FIELD OF STUDY for a couple of years to see if she even needs a MS, and if she does, what some of the other options are; AND she may find a job that will pay for her masters (it's a specialized field of study); AND she has a standing job offer due to an internship she did, that she absolutely loved. The advisor at school told her that "a gap year is ok," but that she REALLY needed to go straight into a master's program if she wanted to be successful. ISN'T THE ENTIRE POINT OF GETTING YOUR BACHELOR'S DEGREE TO GET A JOB??? I hardly this think getting a job in your field would be considered "a gap year!"

She literally gets the WORST advice from advisors at school, regularly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • alab21, burbuja0512, davewill
My high school guidance counselor talked me out of going to college for a programming degree (circa 1985-1986). She told me there were too many people going to school for programming and there wouldn’t be any jobs available. You know, because computers are a fad.

Worst advice I’ve ever been given.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 4 users Like alab21's post:
  • burbuja0512, cookderosa, davewill, quigongene
I had a culinary student tell me she was transferring to a school with better school colors. True.
(06-25-2019, 08:19 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I had a culinary student tell me she was transferring to a school with better school colors.  True.

And Cookderosa wins the thread!    Ha ha ha ha
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(06-24-2019, 12:50 PM)sanantone Wrote: "The federal government won't hire you if you have an online degree unless you have veterans' preference. "

"Ivy League schools will never offer online degrees."

"For-profit colleges don't have regional accreditation."

"For-profit colleges never have specialized (programmatic) accreditation."

"All online degrees are offered by online schools, and all online schools are diploma mills." 

"You'll never get a job with an online degree."

These kinds of statements get me riled up.

I had this argument with a friend of mine the other day, who made the comment "I would rather have no degree, than an online degree".  As you can imagine, he has NO degree.  And, no job.  I find it odd that he picked the very week that I received my TESU diploma, to make such a statement.

I read a great article the other day on the epidemic of small colleges closing their doors for good.  A survey of the school administrators discovered that one of the top issues that they wish they had addressed sooner was to implement an online program. 

My wife works for a rather famous Liberal Arts 4-year.  They are in a full-on scramble to add an online program and a Computer Science program, and do it rather quickly.  Enrollment is way down and a focus group of students that turned down their acceptance to the school have indicated that they would not attend a school without at least partial online presence.

I will be as bold to say that not only are the comments AGAINST online schooling inaccurate and ignorant, but if a college wants to survive today, they MUST have an online course delivery offering.  My son is in the Engineering program at the University of Northern Florida.  So far, as a B&M student, his course delivery has been 30% online, and not by his selection.  The counselors are putting him in these courses. 

It is the way of the future, and traditional students from decades ago are going to be salty about it.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChilliDawg's post:
  • alab21
(06-26-2019, 07:45 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: These kinds of statements get me riled up.

I had this argument with a friend of mine the other day, who made the comment "I would rather have no degree, than an online degree".  As you can imagine, he has NO degree.  And, no job.  I find it odd that he picked the very week that I received my TESU diploma, to make such a statement.

I read a great article the other day on the epidemic of small colleges closing their doors for good.  A survey of the school administrators discovered that one of the top issues that they wish they had addressed sooner was to implement an online program. 

My wife works for a rather famous Liberal Arts 4-year.  They are in a full-on scramble to add an online program and a Computer Science program, and do it rather quickly.  Enrollment is way down and a focus group of students that turned down their acceptance to the school have indicated that they would not attend a school without at least partial online presence.

I will be as bold to say that not only are the comments AGAINST online schooling inaccurate and ignorant, but if a college wants to survive today, they MUST have an online course delivery offering.  My son is in the Engineering program at the University of Northern Florida.  So far, as a B&M student, his course delivery has been 30% online, and not by his selection.  The counselors are putting him in these courses. 

It is the way of the future, and traditional students from decades ago are going to be salty about it.

I think it's funny that people have strange perceptions of what employers think about their degree.    Did you go to Harvard?  Yale?  the top school for people in your field? or even the local State U that has the locally famous sports team?   If so, congratulations.  Your employer might care about your degree.

If not, your employer could care less and is just looking for a checkbox.  I wouldn't criticize anyone with a UoP degree, but maybe there could be an issue there....  Otherwise, who the heck even recognizes school names?

I have used this example here before, but a friend of mine went to the locally prestigious Colorado College.  As of 2019, it's about $55k per year.   Right now my friend is a high school teacher.  Good for her.  I'm glad that she has an emotionally satisfying job that she has wanted her whole life.   BUT I guarantee that no one has heard of her school or realizes that she is now in her 40's and still paying off loans.     It also took me EVERYTHING I had not to tell her what I make yearly when she criticized my education path and online schools in general.  

Not to mention that most major schools have some form of online school and this just keeps growing.   Online school is not going away anytime soon.    I do recognize that there are some people out there that have biases, and for that reason, I don't actively announce "online college" on my resume, but I'm 99% that no one has heard of COSC just like most people haven't heard of Colorado College.   I just paid a LOT LESS for my degree.  Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • alab21, ChilliDawg
One of our moderators (rebel100), who is now inactive, said that he would throw away any resume with University of Phoenix on it because anyone who would spend all that money on such a terrible school is an idiot.

I think the perceived utility of an online degree comes from two misconceptions. A lot of people think that online degrees are only offered by online, for-profit colleges, but this is slowly changing as people discover online programs at state schools. The other misconception is that "online" will be indicated on a transcript and/or diploma.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-26-2019, 10:12 AM)sanantone Wrote: One of our moderators (rebel100), who is now inactive, said that he would throw away any resume with University of Phoenix on it because anyone who would spend all that money on such a terrible school is an idiot.

Big Grin  Ha ha ha ha yes and Rebel100 is probably inactive because he's too busy with his crazy awesome upward career trajectory!!!!!  Just saw yet another cool thing on LinkedIn yesterday.   He is kicking butt and taking names!!!

I would have to agree with him though I didn't want to say it in my earlier post.   The only caveat I would say is that since UoP does prey on the disadvantged, I do take that into account. I interviewed a really good candidate once for an entry level position who was a single mom that had worked her way through college while going through a divorce.   I didn't hold the UoP degree against her, but that would be one of just a few cases where I would overlook it.    (Plus the position needed a motivated self-starter more than a degree)
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa
I'd also keep in mind that many UOP students were at employers with ongoing relationships with UOP, and tuition reimbursement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,742 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Heard v. Depp Alpha 3 601 06-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 697 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az