Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you fail to study before exams...
adavis84 Wrote:I'm actually really interested in seeing compiled data for this. My nearest CC is $5500 / academic year (tuition only and I believe there is a 30sh cap with a per credit fee afterward, not 100% on that though). A 60sh AA will run north of $11k with books et al. I wonder if there are some that are even higher out there?

If you're compiling data, let me know what you find.
sanantone Wrote:I agree with part of your post. I do not agree with $75 a week being easy to afford. If I didn't receive the Pell Grant, I would not have been able to afford $75 per week. Luckily, Texas CCs aren't that expensive anyway.

I worked full-time, but I had bills to pay. I wasn't living at home with my mother. I also had a dependent to provide for making less than $9 per hour. $300 per month would have made us homeless. Of course, one can take on a second job, but that means that there would be practically no time left to put in an adequate amount of effort on schoolwork, especially if one is attending on campus.

The woman in the video does have a point. Making CCs free should be around the same cost as offering grants since grants are often give in excess. Of course, eliminating grants, though, would mean that students would have to take out loans to help with books and living expenses.

While some may believe that some college presidents make too much (a very small percentage make as much as CEOs), reducing their salaries will probably drop tuition rates a couple of dollars at most.

The required fees do hurt. Students should be able to opt out of access to things they won't use.

I guess my problem is that I don't see it as a problem that needs solving.

We do have Pell Grants- and it's true not everyone qualifies, but many do! https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grant...ships/pell
There are avenues to access scholarships while you're enrolled, especially at the community college level (Rebel can share his daughter's awesome story)
CLEP exams are accepted in some amount at most community colleges in the country for those so inclined
Somewhere around 60% of large companies offer tuition reimbursement in some amount
College isn't the only way to earn a living in this country, only about half the adults even have college degrees
K-12 is already mandated and funded by the government, secondary education is still a privilege - but people are arguing as if it's an entitlement.

Everyone on this board is a shining example of exceptional motivation not exceptional privilege or exceptional talent (though I'm sure we have both, too) and frankly, a little more chutzpah will take a person farther than a few more dollars.
cookderosa Wrote:Apples and oranges, not antipathy. A graduate with an AA for transfer hasn't yet earned their job skills they'll earn when they do their major. In other words, the "free community college" hasn't paid for 2 (+) years that matter- the last 2.
You can't do the second two without doing the first two. I guess I don't understand since you need both. 2 times 20k beats 4 times 20k.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
cookderosa Wrote:Apples and oranges, not antipathy. A graduate with an AA for transfer hasn't yet earned their job skills they'll earn when they do their major. In other words, the "free community college" hasn't paid for 2 (+) years that matter- the last 2.

They matter because you need the first two years to earn the 4-year degree. Let's say that there is a shortage of people with bachelor's degrees in computer science (according to the government, there is). The average associate's degree at a community college will cost $6,000. The average cost of the last two years of college is $18,000, but the cost of the last two years doesn't really matter. Free community college just saved that student $6,000 making it easier for him or her to afford the last two years or to graduate with less debt.

cookderosa Wrote:I guess my problem is that I don't see it as a problem that needs solving.

We do have Pell Grants- and it's true not everyone qualifies, but many do! https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grant...ships/pell
There are avenues to access scholarships while you're enrolled, especially at the community college level (Rebel can share his daughter's awesome story)
CLEP exams are accepted in some amount at most community colleges in the country for those so inclined
Somewhere around 60% of large companies offer tuition reimbursement in some amount
College isn't the only way to earn a living in this country, only about half the adults even have college degrees
K-12 is already mandated and funded by the government, secondary education is still a privilege - but people are arguing as if it's an entitlement.

Everyone on this board is a shining example of exceptional motivation not exceptional privilege or exceptional talent (though I'm sure we have both, too) and frankly, a little more chutzpah will take a person farther than a few more dollars.

Eliminating the Pell Grant eliminates the middle man and waste. You can educate more people with roughly the same amount of money by distributing the money more efficiently.

College isn't the only way to earn a living, but those with associate's and bachelor's degree do earn more than people with just a high school diploma or GED, on average.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I would just like to remind everyone that there would not be "free" community college! I, and everyone who pays taxes, will be funding it. Just because YOU don't have to pay for it doesn't mean that it's free! (and that's a YOU as in anyone who doesn't have to pay, not pointing the fingers at anyone in particular).

I also would like to point out that our RIGHTS are spelled out in the constitution, and education is not one of them. Certainly I'm all about education, but I think people tend to forget that just because they want something doesn't make it a RIGHT. Education and healthcare are 2 great examples of recently of things people claim are a right, but just aren't. Not saying they aren't important, or that we shouldn't make it easier in some ways for people to get them, but they are not a right.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
davewill Wrote:Rant: What we really need is to stop the ridiculously extravagant expenditures that our public universities seem to think they need. University presidents don't need salaries like CEOs (of course CEOs aren't worth that money either).

At least with CEO's, they get paid based on making a company profitable and other things like that. If shareholders don't like what a CEO is paid, or don't think they are doing a good job, they get fired (people that don't like how a company operates sell their shares, prices go down, and the CEO takes the ultimate blame if that happens).

With public universities, it is our tax dollars paying them, but we have no say in whether or not they should get paid that amount. There is no way to get them fired if we don't like what they do. And the real problem is that they are not paid to try to make college more affordable for people or anything in the public's interest. They are just not accountable to the people who pay their salaries, and it stinks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:...
I also would like to point out that our RIGHTS are spelled out in the constitution, ...
A common mistake. Some of our rights are spelled out in the Constitution. Your mistake is why some of the founders hesitated to include the bill of rights in the document. They feared people would consider the list exhaustive. Our rights are what our actions, laws, and the courts determine them to be.

We made free public education a right for our children. It is not listed in the Constitution, yet we felt so strongly about it that not even parents are allowed to interfere with that right. If we as a society decide that free higher education should be a right, it can be done.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:You can't do the second two without doing the first two. I guess I don't understand since you need both. 2 times 20k beats 4 times 20k.

sanantone Wrote:They matter because you need the first two years to earn the 4-year degree. Let's say that there is a shortage of people with bachelor's degrees in computer science (according to the government, there is). The average associate's degree at a community college will cost $6,000. The average cost of the last two years of college is $18,000, but the cost of the last two years doesn't really matter. Free community college just saved that student $6,000 making it easier for him or her to afford the last two years or to graduate with less debt.

YES! But the flawed assumption is that if taxpayers fund the first 2 years, then students will:

a) finish the first 2 years (currently only 13% of community college students currently finish an associate's degree- most enter and exit the CC system multiple times and eventually leave w/o a degree)

b) plan to pursue additional education beyond what is being provided for free (and some % of those students will not have an AAS/AOS, it will be AA/AS....which doesn't yield return on tax dollars because they haven't learned their contributable skill yet)

c) have the resources to pay for years # 3 and 4

d) can geographically attend years #3 and 4
-or-
have a computer and reliable internet to attend years #3 and 4 as a distance learner assuming that's an option in their major

e) will contribute back into society with their degree by becoming employed in some way that elevates our economy- though occupation incentives aren't part of this discussion.

The point is that for my tax dollars, this is a bad plan. Beyond being unnecessary, even if we had the money to spend (we don't) there is an obscene risk with absolutely zero upside. We already spend tons of money on Pell Grants (which helped my family multiple years btw). Current reports simply do not support that funding a student's education increases outcomes (graduation). This report summarizes a huge analysis of of Pell recipients:

An unprecedented look at Pell Grant graduation rates from 1,149 schools - The Hechinger Report

"The study found that Pell recipients had a six-year graduation rate of 51 percent in 2013 compared to 65 percent for non-Pell students."

(there are multiple barriers to completion that have nothing to do with paying tuition- I think this is lost in translation somewhere, why does everyone think it's just cost?)

"Pell grants are the U.S. Department of Education’s largest single expenditure, making up $31.5 billion of its budget in 2013-14. Because of a quirk in federal policy, there is very little accountability for this money, however; schools must provide their Pell student graduation rates to any prospective applicant who asks, but are not required to report this information to the Department of Education."

(so, we don't even track this money to see if they graduate!)

EDIT to add: I still stand by my position that I don't think cost is the barrier to admission or completion.
davewill Wrote:A common mistake. Some of our rights are spelled out in the Constitution. Your mistake is why some of the founders hesitated to include the bill of rights in the document. They feared people would consider the list exhaustive. Our rights are what our actions, laws, and the courts determine them to be.

We made free public education a right for our children. It is not listed in the Constitution, yet we felt so strongly about it that not even parents are allowed to interfere with that right. If we as a society decide that free higher education should be a right, it can be done.

Exactly. The Constitution basically says that not all rights are enumerated. It is not and never was intended to be an exhaustive list. It would actually be pretty scary if it were because it is humanly impossible to come up with an exhaustive list. The right to privacy is NOT in the Constitution, so I guess people don't think that's a right? The government does not give rights; it recognizes rights. I'm giving everyone a homework assignment. Read the 9th Amendment.

cookderosa Wrote:YES! But the flawed assumption is that if taxpayers fund the first 2 years, then students will:

a) finish the first 2 years (currently only 13% of community college students currently finish an associate's degree- most enter and exit the CC system multiple times and eventually leave w/o a degree)

b) plan to pursue additional education beyond what is being provided for free (and some % of those students will not have an AAS/AOS, it will be AA/AS....which doesn't yield return on tax dollars because they haven't learned their contributable skill yet)

c) have the resources to pay for years # 3 and 4

d) can geographically attend years #3 and 4
-or-
have a computer and reliable internet to attend years #3 and 4 as a distance learner assuming that's an option in their major

e) will contribute back into society with their degree by becoming employed in some way that elevates our economy- though occupation incentives aren't part of this discussion.

The point is that for my tax dollars, this is a bad plan. Beyond being unnecessary, even if we had the money to spend (we don't) there is an obscene risk with absolutely zero upside. We already spend tons of money on Pell Grants (which helped my family multiple years btw). Current reports simply do not support that funding a student's education increases outcomes (graduation). This report summarizes a huge analysis of of Pell recipients:

An unprecedented look at Pell Grant graduation rates from 1,149 schools - The Hechinger Report

"The study found that Pell recipients had a six-year graduation rate of 51 percent in 2013 compared to 65 percent for non-Pell students."

(there are multiple barriers to completion that have nothing to do with paying tuition- I think this is lost in translation somewhere, why does everyone think it's just cost?)

"Pell grants are the U.S. Department of Education’s largest single expenditure, making up $31.5 billion of its budget in 2013-14. Because of a quirk in federal policy, there is very little accountability for this money, however; schools must provide their Pell student graduation rates to any prospective applicant who asks, but are not required to report this information to the Department of Education."

(so, we don't even track this money to see if they graduate!)

EDIT to add: I still stand by my position that I don't think cost is the barrier to admission or completion.

You just made an argument for getting rid of the Pell Grant. It would lead to better tracking and more accountability. It would also mean that, since the federal government is holding the purse strings, it can put constraints on prices as it does with Medicare.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Exactly. The Constitution basically says that not all rights are enumerated.

Yup, it explicitly says this in fact. The ninth amendment is short an to the point, and reads:

Quote:The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 9 601 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 766 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Passed All Eight Microsoft Fundamentals Exams sanantone 2 514 07-30-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  What was he thinking? Uber guy fail! bjcheung77 0 380 05-09-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fail: Non-fungible token laugh... bjcheung77 3 596 04-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,631 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,453 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Study abroad burbuja0512 9 2,134 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,892 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,563 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill