Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you fail to study before exams...
sanantone Wrote:... You just made an argument for getting rid of the Pell Grant. It would lead to better tracking and more accountability. It would also mean that, since the federal government is holding the purse strings, it can put constraints on prices as it does with Medicare.
I also think it is partly an argument for going to free (or at least capped tuition) public 4-year college. It does fall a bit short to get students through two years, then suddenly raise the price to astronomical. Like Obamacare, these compromise measures can be very frustrating. I hate that we didn't go all the way to public healthcare. This in between state, where private companies get to profit on a mandate to purchase insurance, plain sucks...except that having millions with no real access to healthcare is even worse.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
dfrecore Wrote:I would just like to remind everyone that there would not be "free" community college! I, and everyone who pays taxes, will be funding it. Just because YOU don't have to pay for it doesn't mean that it's free! (and that's a YOU as in anyone who doesn't have to pay, not pointing the fingers at anyone in particular).

I don't agree with what this seems to insinuate. I had a work permit as middle schooler, and figured out how to pay taxes on my own. To say my parents weren't involved would be a HUGE understatement. Jennifer is right in that DegreeForum does seem to attract some very motivated individuals, and I know I am one of them. I paid taxes into the system for years before I ever turned 18. As a matter of fact, I am filing for disability right now and the Social Security Administration just printed me out a list of the years I paid taxes into the system - going all the way back to. So the fact is I paid into a system that funded the Pell Grant, which I wasn't able to access - is irritating to say the least. In reality, FAFSA seems to me like another form of classism, which keeps of some the neediest from being able to actually access education.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:I don't agree with what this seems to insinuate. I had a work permit as middle schooler, and figured out how to pay taxes on my own. To say my parents weren't involved would be a HUGE understatement. Jennifer is right in that DegreeForum does seem to attract some very motivated individuals, and I know I am one of them. I paid taxes into the system for years before I ever turned 18. As a matter of fact, I am filing for disability right now and the Social Security Administration just printed me out a list of the years I paid taxes into the system - going all the way back to. So the fact is I paid into a system that funded the Pell Grant, which I wasn't able to access - is irritating to say the least. In reality, FAFSA seems to me like another form of classism, which keeps of some the neediest from being able to actually access education.

Also, just because people haven't paid into the system yet does not mean that they never will. The expected benefit is that you will have more higher-income people who will pay more taxes.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humans may be fueling global warming by breathing: new study LevelUP 9 583 02-21-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  Passed All Eight Microsoft Fundamentals Exams sanantone 2 504 07-30-2022, 03:52 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  What was he thinking? Uber guy fail! bjcheung77 0 375 05-09-2022, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fail: Non-fungible token laugh... bjcheung77 3 575 04-16-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Question how to study for exam Imbanewbie 3 1,604 02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,407 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Study abroad burbuja0512 9 2,102 11-01-2018, 07:18 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Study of Georgia Tech OMSCS shows solid success davewill 2 1,539 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: davewill