Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is your favorite Caribbean Beach?
My husband and I are planning a special vacation for our 30th anniversary this March. We went to Puerto Rico for our 20th and we loved it. We are trying to find an all inclusive vacation this time and we are stuck between going back to Puerto Rico or traveling someplace new. The only other place outside the continental US I have been is Amsterdam, so I have little to base choices on. We want a nice warm location (I am freezing up here in Niagara Falls) and we don't need to go sightseeing just a nice relaxing spot.

I have looked at Cancun, Cozemul, Punta Cana DR, and of course San Juan (can't find any all inclusive there). I don't know enough about any other places to choose them. I have friends that have been to these places and recommend them. So I am asking for your experiences and recommendations. We had a rough year in 2013 and we want to make sure we enjoy this trip. I have been planning for a while I wanted to go for our 25th, but hubby got layed off that year so I really want to make this special.

I am so confused from looking at different sites to book through and different hotels I have gotten to the point I am overwhelmed with all the decisions:willynilly:. I do not want to spend a whole day on an airplane or in an airport so someplace I could get a direct or short layover flight would be nice. Some of the flights I have looked at to Cancun fly me all over the place and end up taking 12-25 hours to get from Buffalo to there. I am sure some of you must have tried a few of these places so where would you recommend?
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
All I can say is, happy anniversary and have fun on your vacation! Never been to the Caribbean but it's a dream of mine :coolgleam: Big Grin
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
My wife and I went on a cruise last year that left from San Juan and hit St. Thomas, St. Marten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, and Barbados. I'm not sure about all inclusive vacations, but the beaches we enjoyed the most were on St. Thomas and St. Marten. The islands that we didn't enjoy were Barbados and St. Kitts. We spent our time on St. Lucia zip lining, so I can't speak of the beaches there. What was neat about St. Thomas was that you could take a ferry to St. John and St. Croix. We didn't do that but heard great things from other people who did. My wife LOVES Puerto Rico also =) Happy anniversary and happy planning!
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Great Topic - one that is discussed on another discussion board I belong too; see my alternate signature below. We have sailed all thoughout the western and eastern Caribbean and must say that we don't have any particular favorite but do "favor" Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, St. Thomas/St.John and Grand Turk.

ShotoJuku - I Am Carnival!!!

My Cruises: Past-Present-Future

Carnival Vista: 2016 (Return To The Mediterranean)

Carnival Sunshine: May, 2015

Carnival Miracle: September, 2014 (Alaska Retirement Cruise)

Up Next: Carnival Paradise II: April, 2014

Carnival Ecstasy: November, 2013

Carnival Legend III: May, 2013 30th Anniversary Review --->ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Carnival Paradise I: November, 2012

Carnival Dream: July, 2012

Carnival Inspiration IV: November, 2011

Carnival Valor: July, 2011

Carnival Fascination: March, 2011

Carnival Inspiration III: November, 2010

Carnival Legend II: July, 2010

Carnival Legend I: October, 2009

Carnival Triumph: July, 2009

Carnival Sensation: May, 2009

Carnival Inspiration II: November, 2008

Carnival Inspiration I: May, 2008
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:see my alternate signature below.

I do not see an "alternate signature".....what am I missing? How do I view it?
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
ironheadjack Wrote:I do not see an "alternate signature".....what am I missing? How do I view it?

Sorry about that as when I cut/pasted the "alternate" (from the other site) it did not translate well (color etc.) however you can see it in all of it's LEGENDary color (et al) here ---> ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
I'm with ShotoJuku on this one. Cruises really are a lot of fun. Carnival is pretty fun, but so is Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (which is owned by RCL).

In October, I went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean. We went to a private island owned by the cruise line, and the private beach was a LOT of fun. You could rent additional items, like snorkle gear or a jet ski.

In other ports of call, you can add "Shore Excursions" which can be anything from deep sea fishing (in most ports) to touring Mayan Ruins (Tulum ruins in Cozumel).

There is a cruise port in NYC, which is about 6.5 hours from Buffalo, if I'm not mistaken....long drive, short flight.

Norwegian Cruise Lines has a BRAND NEW ship (Norwegian Breakaway) that cruises out of that port to Port Canaveral Florida, Great Stirrup Cay (Norwegian's private island), and Nassau.

Carnival also has a ship in the NY port. The Carnival Splendor has been in operation since 2006, and it also cruises to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
ShotoJuku Wrote:Great Topic - one that is discussed on another discussion board I belong too; see my alternate signature below. We have sailed all thoughout the western and eastern Caribbean and must say that we don't have any particular favorite but do "favor" Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, St. Thomas/St.John and Grand Turk.

ShotoJuku - I Am Carnival!!!

My Cruises: Past-Present-Future

Carnival Vista: 2016 (Return To The Mediterranean)

Carnival Sunshine: May, 2015

Carnival Miracle: September, 2014 (Alaska Retirement Cruise)

Up Next: Carnival Paradise II: April, 2014

Carnival Ecstasy: November, 2013

Carnival Legend III: May, 2013 30th Anniversary Review --->ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Carnival Paradise I: November, 2012

Carnival Dream: July, 2012

Carnival Inspiration IV: November, 2011

Carnival Valor: July, 2011

Carnival Fascination: March, 2011

Carnival Inspiration III: November, 2010

Carnival Legend II: July, 2010

Carnival Legend I: October, 2009

Carnival Triumph: July, 2009

Carnival Sensation: May, 2009

Carnival Inspiration II: November, 2008

Carnival Inspiration I: May, 2008

It's fun reading your posts on that forum. I'm going to have to look and see if I can find my old credentials for that site Tongue

I cruised on the Fascination in April 2012. It's a decent ship, though it's pretty dated. I really enjoyed the piano bar Big Grin
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
Thank you for the recommendations. We have never been on a cruise and we are not sure we would like it. We don't want to take the chance with this trip. I do want to try a cruise in the future but we will probably start with a short 3-4 day cruise. This trip we just want to relax and sit in the sun. My husband works hard and long hours, he needs a nice quiet do nothing trip. I just want warmth. I HATE SNOW!! I am not sure why I ever agreed to move to this freezing spot (well he did need a job and there were not any offers south of here).

So we really just want to pick a nice warm all inclusive beach and veg out.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:Thank you for the recommendations. We have never been on a cruise and we are not sure we would like it. We don't want to take the chance with this trip. I do want to try a cruise in the future but we will probably start with a short 3-4 day cruise. This trip we just want to relax and sit in the sun. My husband works hard and long hours, he needs a nice quiet do nothing trip. I just want warmth. I HATE SNOW!! I am not sure why I ever agreed to move to this freezing spot (well he did need a job and there were not any offers south of here).

So we really just want to pick a nice warm all inclusive beach and veg out.

Then perhaps a resort is more what you need Smile

Yahoo! Top 10 All Inclusive Resorts
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your favorite sport? HorseManiac 19 2,645 07-27-2015, 05:10 AM
Last Post: dewisant
  Favorite Classic Literature? swf 10 1,636 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM
Last Post: ZsaZsa
  Favorite Book Overall! nick94 71 8,736 09-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Last Post: MomOfMany
  What's your favorite type of dessert? CollegeStudent7 40 5,170 05-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Last Post: jmichelle79
  Your Favorite Test burbuja0512 15 2,793 11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Last Post: TMW2010
  Aloha - Waikiki Beach!! ShotoJuku 15 2,573 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Favorite Authors Librevore 19 4,205 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Danielp248