Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Sophia credits are priority?
For someone doing this with very little outside credits, which courses would you guys say should be prioritized on Sophia? I have been struggling to complete one class per month (busy mom), and now I’m getting to the end of my year membership and am trying to hurry and get some done. Which should I prioritize if I don’t have a specific degree that I want? I was thinking of going to COSC and getting a BS liberal arts, but heard there were better options now. So I’m looking for the most generic advice out there. Also, if I can take it on OnlineDegree.com instead, I’d rather do that later (those were pretty easy for me) and focus on stuff at Sophia that’s not a duplicate.

Here’s my current completion and provider transcript:

English Composition @ Credit by Exam - STI
Medical Language @ STI
Anatomy & Physiology w/lab @ STI
Basic Math Lab @ STI
Intermediate Algebra @ STI
Cyber Ethics @ TEEX
Cyber Law and White Collar Crime @ TEEX
Information Security for Everyone @ TEEX
Ethics and the CPCU Code @ The Institutes UL
Student Success Seminar @ STI
Multi-Disciplinary Health Teams @ Prior LearnCr - STI
BG101 Biology - Organisms & Ecosystems @ OnlineDegree
Intro to Oil and Gas @ NMJC
Equine Anatomy @ NMJC
Equine Science @ NMJC
Equine Nutrition @ NMJC

Developing Effective Teams @ Sophia
The Essentials of Managing Conflict @ Sophia
Student Success @ Sophia
Ancient Greek Philosophers @ Sophia
Intro to Business @ Sophia
Approaches to Studying Religions @ Sophia
Project Management @ Sophia
Human Biology @ Sophia
Intro to Information Technology @ Sophia
Environmental Science (in process) @ Sophia

Thanks for your consideration!

- Bethany
FYI, OnlineDegree is NOT accepted at COSC. Neither is TEEX or The Institutes. I am not sure what STI is but if it is ACE or NCCRS then it won't be accepted at COSC either (if this is RA credit then it would be accepted). In addition, The Institutes is not going to be accepted anywhere now because the credits are NOT in the new Credly system. Because of that, I would suggest prioritizing Ethics at Sophia.

All of those credits should work at either Excelsior or TESU, at least.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
What is STI?
I'd say Ethics should be your priority. You'll need it virtually anywhere.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I am also curious what that institution stands for, I've heard of STI before... are you in the state of MA? Did you go to Southeastern Regional for secondary school? I know people who have attended that vocational/technical high school and have gone onto STI - Southeastern Technical Institute. Only one thing I wanted to ask, I know Southeastern Regional is RA, but is STI Regionally Accredited or Nationally Accredited? I remember seeing their programs have programmatic/secondary accreditation but not sure if they are NA or RA. If this is the same school we're referring to, and they are NA, your chances of those credits are slimmer...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
STI is short for Southeast Technical Institute - is an RA college in South Dakota.

(06-12-2021, 10:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: FYI, OnlineDegree is NOT accepted at COSC. Neither is TEEX or The Institutes. I am not sure what STI is but if it is ACE or NCCRS then it won't be accepted at COSC either (if this is RA credit then it would be accepted). In addition, The Institutes is not going to be accepted anywhere now because the credits are NOT in the new Credly system. Because of that, I would suggest prioritizing Ethics at Sophia.

All of those credits should work at either Excelsior or TESU, at least.

So did COSC change their credit acceptance policy? Because when I did OnlineDegree, they were still taking NRCCS credits and COSC had the most flexibility to accept The Institutes and TEEX…

(06-13-2021, 12:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'd say Ethics should be your priority. You'll need it virtually anywhere.

Thanks for staying on track, Danika. What else?
(06-13-2021, 02:43 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: So did COSC change their credit acceptance policy? Because when I did OnlineDegree, they were still taking NRCCS credits and COSC had the most flexibility to accept The Institutes and TEEX…

Yes, things changed about a year ago. COSC added a requirement for 30 RA credits (24 from anywhere + capstone & cornerstone) and now they only accept alternate credits from a handful of providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php (information about 2/3rds of the way down the page). They are probably the least flexible now as a result.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Quote: Yes, things changed about a year ago. COSC added a requirement for 30 RA credits (24 from anywhere + capstone & cornerstone) and now they only accept alternate credits from a handful of providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php (information about 2/3rds of the way down the page). They are probably the least flexible now as a result.

I was pretty sure that OnlineDegree is NCCRS and it still shows on that link that they accept the NCCRS credits (very bottom of page). So are you absolutely sure? I remember when they upped the RA requirement, but I saw nothing about nixing providers etc.
(06-13-2021, 06:11 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote:
Quote: Yes, things changed about a year ago. COSC added a requirement for 30 RA credits (24 from anywhere + capstone & cornerstone) and now they only accept alternate credits from a handful of providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php (information about 2/3rds of the way down the page). They are probably the least flexible now as a result.

I was pretty sure that OnlineDegree is NCCRS and it still shows on that link that they accept the NCCRS credits (very bottom of page). So are you absolutely sure? I remember when they upped the RA requirement, but I saw nothing about nixing providers etc.

They nixed providers.  I wouldn't take a chance.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks Rachel and Danika on the COSC info. I’m at least a year out anyhow, so we’ll see where I’m at then. I wasn’t set on them.

My main question was for the Big 3 (or whatever else fits later), which additional Sophia courses should I prioritize for a generic BS Liberal studies kind of degree?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 4 132 6 hours ago
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 60 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 121 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,383 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 399 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 924 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 605 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 350 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 423 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 262 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley