Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Withdrawing from UMPI : Financial Aid
Greetings to All. I am planning on throwing in the towel at Umpi YP this semester. Time constraints with work and various life issues are making it impossible. Pell grants covered my tuition this semester with money left over. All over the internet as well as Umpi is the 60% rule which is where withdrawing after this point in the semester results in the strident having earned 100% of their Title IV funds. But I can’t get Umpi’s financial aid dept to verify when that date would fall on for this current semester. They want my name and info first, that way they can tell me today is considered my withdraw date and you now owe us money. I’d prefer they simply share the date, as many schools do, but they won’t. So I don’t know if I’m suppose to kinda keep up with the class work and then come late April or May 1 I officially withdraw from all classes. I’d like to do this clean and easy but with FA not helping out with any info, it’s a guessing game.
YourPace is not on the same schedule as on campus students. The Financial Aid Office may not be able to give you a date without receiving your info so they can look at your account. They may have to calculate the date for you. You need to remain in good academic and financial standing to ever receive financial aid again. You could also lose federal tax refunds for the grants that may be need to be repaid. I would really try to complete 4 classes during the Spring Semester so this isn't a problem for you. You were in Spring 1 Session, correct? You only need 4 classes total for Spring 1 & 2 to be in the clear with financial aid. It's unwise to say you'll never need financial aid again in the future. No one can possibly know this. I myself never imagined I'd return to college 20 years later. My husband returned after 30 years to get his bachelor's degree. So it does happen. Seems to happen to a lot of those over 30 on here.
(03-13-2023, 04:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: YourPace is not on the same schedule as on campus students. The Financial Aid Office may not be able to give you a date without receiving your info so they can look at your account. They may have to calculate the date for you. You need to remain in good academic and financial standing to ever receive financial aid again. You could also lose federal tax refunds for the grants that may be need to be repaid. I would really try to complete 4 classes during the Spring Semester so this isn't a problem for you. You were in Spring 1 Session, correct? You only need 4 classes total for Spring 1 & 2 to be in the clear with financial aid. It's unwise to say you'll never need financial aid again in the future. No one can possibly know this. I myself never imagined I'd return to college 20 years later. My husband returned after 30 years to get his bachelor's degree. So it does happen. Seems to happen to a lot of those over 30 on here.

I understand there are scheduling differences between YourPace and normal on-campus. However, the financial aid office is playing a game rather than being helpful. I can tell you firsthand that the reason they want my name and to look up my account is that once I even inquire about this issue, they immediately set the date of inquiry as the date of withdrawal - that way they can deny the 60% Rule. I know this as fact. 

If they wanted to be helpful, they could simply use the start date of Spring 2023 Session I (Jan 17th) and the end date of Spring 2023 Session II (May 5th), and provide a date when they consider things to be at the 60% mark. But rather than doing this, they outright refuse to answer this simple question. 

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but anything other than the above is not of concern to me. I am not attending UMPI or any other school after this - so my academic standing is a non-issue. Federal tax refunds are a non-issue. Perhaps you can say it's unwise to state a fact I know as truth, but again, it's a non-issue to me.

I asked on this forum because the UMPI financial aid office literally refuses to answer this question. It's a secret they wish to keep to themselves, even though they have a webpage detailing the 60% Rule = 100% earned. So it seems they prefer I simply muddle through the classes, wait until the end of April, and then officially withdraw from both classes and the school.
You have to get the date from the Financial Aid Office. No one here can give it to you. You are making assumptions about the office as well when they ask you for personal info.
Aaaand, that's enough. Let's see if a week away calms you down.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ashkir, LevelUP
This is something you need to talk with the UMPI staff about. You attacking a member of our board over it, is not acceptable. UMPI has very clear financial aid standards that you agreed to and signed. You also agreed to that you will contact their office with questions about this. You effectively failed your government loan contract by not completing a course completely. You can jeopardize your future loans over this. Please try your best to finish the term, and, return the funds for the second term. Contact the financial aid office at UMPI with questions.

Do not call names, or, belittle our members. Thank you
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Please review your previous post here as well: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ts-PayBack
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 147 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 293 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 278 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 202 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 185 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 343 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 312 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,662 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,508 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 505 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1