Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work-from-home Ideas
Now that my higher education is complete...I'm thinking of leaving the traditional workforce. One of my main drivers is that we are homeschooling my son, and while we are making it happen around our schedules and we are all certainly happier for the change over the public school experience he had, it can be quite a challenge for all of us. If I had a bit more time with him, it would help considerably. Also, while I was once the highest earner, my husband just received a promotion and raise, which makes it a bit more feasible. Finally, the responsibilities and workload in my job continually increases; for months, I've had to bring work home every night, commonly working from a few minutes after I walk in the door until after everyone goes to bed (which is eating into that homeschool time), and typically have about 6-8 hours of work each weekend. It's not a pace I can or am willing to continue, it's not fair to hubby and son, and I'm tired.

All that said...we need some supplemental income. While hubby's new paycheck is great, it still does not quite cover all our bills. In addition, all our benefits are through my employer, and his employer's plan costs more so we would need that extra difference coming in.

Does anyone have ideas for non-traditional work composed of telecommuting? I've seen those scammy-looking ads on a lot of the job websites, but surely there are legit options out there.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
mrs.b Wrote:Now that my higher education is complete...I'm thinking of leaving the traditional workforce. One of my main drivers is that we are homeschooling my son, and while we are making it happen around our schedules and we are all certainly happier for the change over the public school experience he had, it can be quite a challenge for all of us. If I had a bit more time with him, it would help considerably. Also, while I was once the highest earner, my husband just received a promotion and raise, which makes it a bit more feasible. Finally, the responsibilities and workload in my job continually increases; for months, I've had to bring work home every night, commonly working from a few minutes after I walk in the door until after everyone goes to bed (which is eating into that homeschool time), and typically have about 6-8 hours of work each weekend. It's not a pace I can or am willing to continue, it's not fair to hubby and son, and I'm tired.

All that said...we need some supplemental income. While hubby's new paycheck is great, it still does not quite cover all our bills. In addition, all our benefits are through my employer, and his employer's plan costs more so we would need that extra difference coming in.

Does anyone have ideas for non-traditional work composed of telecommuting? I've seen those scammy-looking ads on a lot of the job websites, but surely there are legit options out there.

Western Governors University hires student mentors, and the mentors are allowed to work from home. I think the minimum qualification for this is a masters degree in the field in which you are a mentor.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
Thank you, publius! I may look into that down the line after I've earned the credential. I've finally decided what I want to be when I grow up (that happens after 40, I hope!) and have trimmed my previously not-so-short list of graduate schools to two...which I'll refrain from naming here in open public for fear of jinxing myself on the application processes.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have that Masters degree yet, though. After some more brainstorming, planning, and so on, I am going to stick it out where I am for as long as possible while I at least start the process of earning a Masters in Accountancy with plans to eventually sit the CPA exam. Holding an MAcc and CPA opens a lot of part-time and seasonal work options locally, that will allow more time at home to focus on kiddo's education. It captures the parts of my job that I absolutely love (all things numerical) while offering enough of a career change to eliminate the parts for which I am not so fond (HR). In the meantime, we're reworking the home schedule and kiddo curriculum to hopefully fix the time-crunch issues since I'll need to squeeze a bit more out of the clock to get back to hitting the books.

I realize I am/was asking for the holy grail of employment opportunities - a telecommuting job doing "something" and making decent money. If those were widely available, I doubt many would be here, looking into career changes!
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Could you take private clients as as a bookkeeper/tax preparer/non-certified accountant?
You don't need a degree to take the enrolled agent exam. I posted a thread in the off-topic forum about enrolled agents. Some open their own businesses and make enough money during the tax season to not have to work the rest of the year. Check the technical support section of Craigslist. I was hired for a work-from-home technical support job after passing a proficiency test and interview, but I turned it down. The base pay was around $10 an hour, but you can earn up to $13 an hour with bonuses. They require split shifts. There are non-technical customer service jobs that allow you to work at home: LiveOps, Alpine Access, and a few others. With these companies, you do have to pay for a background check, but they are legit. Leapforce hires work-from-home search engine evaluators.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
If you like reading and are obsessive about catching errors you can try freelance copyediting. I plan to do that myself. Here is one group to get you started: Editorial Freelancers Association: Home
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
It may not be quite what you have in mind, but I've been in medical software B2B sales for years and most people I know work from home. I've worked from home for over 3 years and will only have to return to an office because my new job is a senior management position.

The great thing about B2B sales is that it's not the stereotypical salesperson you think of - that's B2C. If you find the right position, you're offering a service that companies need and it's more of a consultative role. Yes, you have sales goals, but you're selling something that people need anyhow. It's just your job to do presentations and help your clients find the best products for their needs. Another positive is that the pay is really good. Entry level B2B roles (at least in my industry) start off in the 60-80k per year range and once you've been doing it for a few years, you can easily make 6 figures.

The negative is that it can be difficult without any experience to get into a solid company and it's hard to sort through the job listings to determine which companies would be a good fit for you. Your best bet is to network and talk to people who work for different types of companies. Even if someone isn't in the sales dept, they may know enough about their company's products to give you a sense of whether you'd be interested in working there.

Sales isn't for everyone. I enjoy giving presentations and am not afraid of public speaking or speaking to "important decision-makers." I also dislike the fact that for some strange reason, my field seems to be very male-dominated and sometimes can attract very aggressive and rude managers. I have had bosses in the past that had no problem yelling and cursing in meetings when sales reps weren't hitting quota. Luckily, this personality type is less common than it used to be, but you have to be able to handle pressure and let these sort of things roll off your back.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you are interested and want more info. Smile
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
This is kind of small compared to the other great ideas here, but a nice way to get a little extra money for things you do anyway is Swagbucks. It started as a search engine, and that's a big part of its operation. They pay you in "Swagbucks" for searching with them. Each Swagbuck equals 1 cent. You can redeem Swagbucks for gift cards (Amazon.com, WalMart, Paypal, Starbucks and more). You can also shop through them and get a percentage back in Swagbucks (they have great rates). There are also games, polls, activities and such that you can do when you have a few minutes to get more. I like it because I'm already searching and shopping online and now I get paid to do it Big Grin

Here's a blog post I wrote about it: Making easy money with Swagbucks! | Star Shining Forever
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:This is kind of small compared to the other great ideas here, but a nice way to get a little extra money for things you do anyway is Swagbucks. It started as a search engine, and that's a big part of its operation. They pay you in "Swagbucks" for searching with them. Each Swagbuck equals 1 cent. You can redeem Swagbucks for gift cards (Amazon.com, WalMart, Paypal, Starbucks and more). You can also shop through them and get a percentage back in Swagbucks (they have great rates). There are also games, polls, activities and such that you can do when you have a few minutes to get more. I like it because I'm already searching and shopping online and now I get paid to do it Big Grin

Here's a blog post I wrote about it: Making easy money with Swagbucks! | Star Shining Forever
Westerner, I've tried this and it works out about 22cents per hour which was fine for fun but you couldn't rely on this source of income to pay bills. Its tax season and I'm completely swamped, H&R Block style work is available for around 13 an hour for data entry bookkeeping skills. There are some companies who'd love to farm out their payroll ect. the only issue with this is that you can't take a vacation if you have a weekly wage contract. My boss wants me to work in his office so that his data isn't compromised but you may find that there are some who'd let you pick up the work and drop it back off at the accountancy office. I can come and go as I please but its part time work most of the year with almost full time hours November through April.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
One other thought... almost any profession will have something that can be done from home. Not all pay quite as well as in the office, but it's really easy to do searches on LinkedIn jobs or Indeed.com to find something in your field or related that can be done from home.

I know that LinkedIn jobs has the option of choosing only work from home jobs, so this might be the easiest. I once knew someone who did customer service for a nationwide floral company from her home. No, the pay wasn't spectacular, but it was easy and flexible. I would imagine that there are other types of customer service home jobs too.. just an idea.

Also, do keep in mind that working from home and being able to watch children isn't necessarily compatible depending on your child. I have homeschooled kids while working, but it truly only is feasible when they are older kids that require minimal direction. I don't personally think that it would be possible to work full time and do a good job while homeschooling a child younger than middle school, but of course it depends on your kid. But I also think that where there is a will, there's a way. In working from home, due to the lack of commute, time wasted at the water cooler or in redundant meetings, not having to get ready, etc, you end up putting in more actual "work" time than you do in an office. As long as you're disciplined, if there are interruptions during the day, you really can make up for them and then some. I know my company has gotten a LOT more work from me by having me at home. LOL this isn't always easy with late night/early morning international calls, but it balances itself out. I am really ready to go back into a physical office with my new job!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,069 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,103 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Video of Airbnb Guest Refusing to Leave Woman's Home. The Drama Gets Real! LevelUP 4 1,841 06-23-2022, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 869 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Great Resignation - Better Balance of Life & Work? bjcheung77 5 979 01-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Dream Job Alert! Work From Home & Unlimied Vacation?! bjcheung77 4 1,204 08-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Vonne
  @Home - Free Learning Resources bjcheung77 2 1,146 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  FREE (for now) Ashampoo Home Designer 5 bjcheung77 2 1,134 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM
Last Post: JWells247
  College degree required to work at a factory? sanantone 1 1,430 12-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
Big Grin Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! jsd 11 2,676 12-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Life_One