Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you ever recommend a NA degree?
(08-07-2017, 06:43 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: California has the BPPE and allow certs/dips and associates. - https://app.dca.ca.gov/bppe/default.asp
I randomly did a search and grabbed 4 schools that started with the letter A... See below
This one caught my attention with MA/PHD: https://app.dca.ca.gov/bppe/view-school....de=1921961

A California Law School - http://www.nwculaw.edu/, people can get a cheap JD degree and chance at the BAR!

This is not a law school, per se, but rather a self-study program to be able to take the bar exam. You could do it on your own for free. Their JD degree counts for nothing, and almost nobody passes the bar exam through them, so I wouldn't use them as a prime example for this. And BTW, CA does not require a law degree to sit for the baby bar, so you don't even need this "degree".
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can't become an attorney with just the baby bar; that's for first year students. It looks like California doesn't allow self-study. The closest is training under a judge or attorney.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requ.../Education
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-08-2017, 01:17 AM)sanantone Wrote: You can't become an attorney with just the baby bar; that's for first year students. It looks like California doesn't allow self-study. The closest is training under a judge or attorney.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requ.../Education

Sorry, I was unclear. You have to pass the baby bar to sit for the bar. You don't need a law degree to sit for either of them.

And you can do self-study, you just have to also have a certain amount of hours of training under a judge or attorney. Either way, you do not need a law degree in CA to become a lawyer. We are quirky that way.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-08-2017, 01:19 AM)dfrecore Wrote: And you can do self-study, you just have to also have a certain amount of hours of training under a judge or attorney.  Either way, you do not need a law degree in CA to become a lawyer.  We are quirky that way.

I think that's wonderful. Of course CA's bar exam is also harder than, I believe, 47 other states.

There are around 8 other states that allow someone to take the bar if they worked under an attorney enough.

(08-08-2017, 01:28 AM)Ideas Wrote: I think that's wonderful. Of course CA's bar exam is also harder than, I believe, 47 other states.

We have the worst pass rate of any other state, by far - roughly 50% pass.

Also, I think less than 50 people here have ever passed the bar doing this alternative option. So, it really is not a great option, but then, neither is spending $150k at a law school with a crappy pass rate. And then making $50k a year...
(08-08-2017, 01:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote: We have the worst pass rate of any other state, by far - roughly 50% pass.

Also, I think less than 50 people here have ever passed the bar doing this alternative option.  So, it really is not a great option, but then, neither is spending $150k at a law school with a crappy pass rate.  And then making $50k a year...

I feel bad for the people who spend a few years of their lives and can't pass. Many of them study more and try again, and don't pass again Sad

It's become such a poor career path.

California is thinking about making its bar exam easier because it's so ridiculously hard.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas
(08-08-2017, 02:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: California is thinking about making its bar exam easier because it's so ridiculously hard.

Some say the pass rate is only low because of all the crappy schools there. The low quality of the school makes people think they can pass the bar. I wonder if pass rate would be fine if they subtracted out all the exam takers from the non-RA (and non-NA?) schools.

(08-08-2017, 03:12 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 02:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: California is thinking about making its bar exam easier because it's so ridiculously hard.

Some say the pass rate is only low because of all the crappy schools there. The low quality of the school makes people think they can pass the bar. I wonder if pass rate would be fine if they subtracted out all the exam takers from the non-RA (and non-NA?) schools.

I heard that California requires a higher passing score than other states do.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-08-2017, 12:34 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(08-07-2017, 08:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'll be blunt and to the point - it's a total waste of money and time to get an unaccredited degree.  It would be easier just to lie.  At least that's free.
EDIT TO ADD:  University of the People did earn accreditation a couple years back and might be a great solution for Idea's situation.

U of People seems like it's almost the cost of COSC, etc. They say a Bachelor's is estimated to cost $4060 and an Associates $2060. I would just do an RA Associates in that case. I might be able to get some grant or scholarship, if I delay my TESU degree longer (which would probably cost me because of the Study.com agreement expiring).

I'm not thinking of getting an unaccredited degree, but I am still confused on where the cut off is regarding accrediting body and being worthwhile. I trust your opinion on the matter Smile

Are you saying the ones with state approval are a waste of time too, or do those make the cut? It's an online job, but would I have to only look for schools in the state I live in? I am planning to move to another state and maybe move down the road.

I also don't know how secondary/programmatic accreditation factors in. It seems like bjcheung is saying state approval plus secondary/programmatic is more solid. Is it worthwhile if they have both? I would assume some secondary/programmatic are better than others, and I don't know how to tell the difference.

University of the People's RACK RATE would be $4000 because you pay for proctoring if you took all your courses with them. They take all your ACE, CLEP, etc so no reason to pay rack rate. You could get that cost way down. I've not done a degree plan, but I'd estimate you could come in close to $1500.

COSC, on the other hand, costs $4000 AFTER you've already done all that. UoP is before.

To determine whether or not a school is accredited, simply type their name into the US Department of Education Accreditation database. https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx

(08-08-2017, 01:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 01:28 AM)Ideas Wrote: I think that's wonderful. Of course CA's bar exam is also harder than, I believe, 47 other states.

We have the worst pass rate of any other state, by far - roughly 50% pass.

Also, I think less than 50 people here have ever passed the bar doing this alternative option. So, it really is not a great option, but then, neither is spending $150k at a law school with a crappy pass rate. And then making $50k a year...

It's like anything- remove the barrier to allow anyone to try, and the likelihood of people trying is disproportionately higher. It's probably why community college graduation rates are 11% (open enrollment & low cost).
I very much like the model of allowing people to take the bar without a law degree. If I were inclined to practice law, without question I would attempt it under that model. I'm quirky like that lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 678 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 284 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 642 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,790 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 573 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 288 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 871 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,240 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,844 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74