Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
average time to finish WGU - opinions wanted
I am also looking at WGU as it really looks like a cost effective option for my wife to get her Bachelor's in Marketing from WGU.  She got evaluated at 108 credits out of 120 credits. I am wondering what your experiences were in how long it took you to get through this degree. I realize the answer is "it depends on you" but, I am looking at people's experiences and averages.  Is this degree doable in 1 year if you transfer in 78 credits for GL/LL courses and then do 30 business credits at WGU in 6 months.  She would need to take 26 courses/CBE's in 6 months.  Is this completely crazy or doable? Opinions wanted!

Thanks

Education Seeker
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • akr680
Join Facebook Wgu Accelerators group

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

A lot of people have done it. It comes down to if she wants to do it and can commit to doing it and spend most of her free time working through her courses.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I was pretty motivated and finished 15 courses in just under 4 months (bear in mind I was very familiar with 90% of the material). 26 might be doable in 6 months, but you're effectively looking at a course per week with no "life" happening in the meantime. I wouldn't count on being able to do it in one term.

Edit: Are you looking at doing 26 through WGU, or 26 total?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Does your wife have a job? Does she have a lot commitments outside of work. Those would be a factor. The more time you have the easier it will be to complete courses.
(06-28-2019, 08:08 AM)quigongene Wrote: I was pretty motivated and finished 15 courses in just under 4 months (bear in mind I was very familiar with 90% of the material).  26 might be doable in 6 months, but you're effectively looking at a course per week with no "life" happening in the meantime.  I wouldn't count on being able to do it in one term.

Edit:  Are you looking at doing 26 through WGU, or 26 total?

For my wife, she would need to to do 26 classes (3 credits each) on Saylor, Study.com, or SL before she would transfer in the other 78 credit hours (she got 12 credits from WGU already) to WGU.  Then, she would complete the remaining 30 cr hours to complete the Bachelors in Business.  Considering my wife's normal work pace, 1 year is probably to aggressive to expect her to finish. I am thinking a total of 1.5 years with 6-12 months to complete the 26 non-WGU hours and 6 mos. to complete the remaining 30 hours at WGU.
Is Modern States/CLEP not an option? I CLEP'ed out of most of the gen eds. 30 CUs in 6 months shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(06-28-2019, 04:15 PM)quigongene Wrote: Is Modern States/CLEP not an option?  I CLEP'ed out of most of the gen eds.  30 CUs in 6 months shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quigongene,

To clarify, I believe she would need take 26 (78 cr. hours) remaining CBE exams/courses before she transferred in and started at WGU to maximize the cost savings.

In the Bachelor of Mktg Mgmt at WGU for her, I had planned on her being able to complete all (if not most or else use Study.com/SL/Khan Academy...cheap/free credit for rest of GL/business core classes) the remaining 78 credit hours (26 classes) using free CLEP tests from Modern States and the free voucher.

To clarify your comment, is a Competency Unit (CU) at WGU typically to 3 semester credit hours?  Did you accomplish 30 CU (90 cr hrs) all through CLEP or what other sources did you use? It looks like some of the Gen Ed. classes are not offered through CLEP, but, are offered via Study.com, SL, Davar Academy, etc?  I only observed about 4-5 classes if that many she could not do through CLEP?

On average, how many classes did you get through per week/month? Did you find you worked on avg amount of time or in spurts where you had more time or felt motivated?  I know she would likely not have much of a social life outside of being a mom and working 40 hrs a week.  Thankfully, our kids are 13 and 17 so fairly self sufficient.

Did you also move through the remaining 30 CU's (15 cr hours) in 6 months at WGU or did it take you longer/shorter?  I think it would be more likely she would take about 6 months to 1 year to complete remaining CLEP GL/business core classes and 6 months of business upper level core programs.

Thanks,

EducationSeeker
(06-29-2019, 05:47 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(06-28-2019, 04:15 PM)quigongene Wrote: Is Modern States/CLEP not an option?  I CLEP'ed out of most of the gen eds.  30 CUs in 6 months shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quigongene,

To clarify, I believe she would need take 26 (78 cr. hours) remaining CBE exams/courses before she transferred in and started at WGU to maximize the cost savings.

In the Bachelor of Mktg Mgmt at WGU for her, I had planned on her being able to complete all (if not most or else use Study.com/SL/Khan Academy...cheap/free credit for rest of GL/business core classes) the remaining 78 credit hours (26 classes) using free CLEP tests from Modern States and the free voucher.

To clarify your comment, is a Competency Unit (CU) at WGU typically to 3 semester credit hours?  Did you accomplish 30 CU (90 cr hrs) all through CLEP or what other sources did you use? It looks like some of the Gen Ed. classes are not offered through CLEP, but, are offered via Study.com, SL, Davar Academy, etc?  I only observed about 4-5 classes if that many she could not do through CLEP?

There are about 12 courses you take take for that degree through CLEP (I can't remember how many courses she already has that might be duplicates with that).

The remaining may be gotten through Study.com, SL, DSST, whatever.

Then, there are 31 credits that can't be transferred in, that she would have to do through WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-28-2019, 02:57 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote: For my wife, she would need to to do 26 classes (3 credits each) on Saylor, Study.com, or SL before she would transfer in the other 78 credit hours (she got 12 credits from WGU already) to WGU.  Then, she would complete the remaining 30 cr hours to complete the Bachelors in Business.  Considering my wife's normal work pace, 1 year is probably to aggressive to expect her to finish. I am thinking a total of 1.5 years with 6-12 months to complete the 26 non-WGU hours and 6 mos. to complete the remaining 30 hours at WGU.

That seems like a good plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How fast (in how many days) can you realistically finish Sophia, etc. or WGU course? whiverem 32 7,513 01-19-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,384 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
Sad Struggling to finish angellicarob 3 674 10-26-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Do you have to be super smart to finish WGU? What can you do to eliminate any doubts whiverem 30 6,585 05-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Will start in over a month, what can I do in the mean time? thepoetvd776 5 794 01-15-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term bjcheung77 26 12,195 10-31-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Time limit on cert credit for WGU? reylok 4 1,357 04-08-2020, 07:46 PM
Last Post: reylok
  Western governors' University - WGU - competency based? Experience or opinions? GoodYellowDogs 12 2,059 05-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dcan