Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
computer use at work, and how many hours do people really work?
I'm in customer service. Of my 40 hour week, close to 30 is spent online. A lot of studying gets done at work.

Getting paid to get good grades Smile
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
TinHead Wrote:I'm in customer service. Of my 40 hour week, close to 30 is spent online. A lot of studying gets done at work.

Getting paid to get good grades Smile

Some may call that innovative....some might call that theft....unless you are authorized to spend 75% of your time at work engaged in studying; are you?
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:Some may call that innovative....some might call that theft....unless you are authorized to spend 75% of your time at work engaged in studying; are you?

It all depends. Some jobs, you really getting paid for your "time". Think of some emergency management type workers who get paid to sit and wait for something to happen, like firefighters. In the AF, we had a team that were in charge of responding to crashes. How many times a year does an aircraft crash on an Air Base? They still needed to be available. They have ancillary duties, but that only takes so much time. The rest is spent on other tasks or personal things.

You owe your employers an honest effort and nothing more.

Speaking of theft, there's an active class action lawsuit against Apple from their store employees. Apple requires the employees' bags to be checked before they leave to prevent theft. It's a reasonable request. But some employees claim that they wait sometimes 10 minutes or more for a manager to come over and check -OFF the clock. An estimate for one employee was approximately $1500 in lost wages from time waiting. Forget the legal arguments and the law regarding this. Morally, an employee employee owes an effort while "on the clock", does the employer owe the employee for their personal time?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
In my humble opinion the workers at Apple and others who slack off when the boss is not looking are hurting not just the employer but also themselves. Since my husband is a salary worker and most of our friends are also in that boat I have a different opinion on what you owe your employer. If you want to get somewhere in life and you want a career and not just a job than you need to stop looking at the clock and do what is required to get you ahead in your job. Of course having an employer who appreciates the effort is important, but you never know what the employer will appreciate until you make the effort.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:In my humble opinion the workers at Apple and others who slack off when the boss is not looking are hurting not just the employer but also themselves. Since my husband is a salary worker and most of our friends are also in that boat I have a different opinion on what you owe your employer. If you want to get somewhere in life and you want a career and not just a job than you need to stop looking at the clock and do what is required to get you ahead in your job. Of course having an employer who appreciates the effort is important, but you never know what the employer will appreciate until you make the effort.

You actually agree with my statement, not disagree. You are stating if you want more, you need to give more. I agree. I was rapidly promoted throughout my career for going above and beyond. But for hourly employees who are required to clock in and clock out, the employer feels they only owe them the clock time, why would an employee be obliged to give more? Or even salaried employees, if all they want in life is to pay the bills and go home to their families, then why do they owe MORE than an honest effort (honest effort being doing exactly what their employer hired them to do and nothing more). I see nothing wrong with that. I've had both types of employees work under me, and I appreciate the work from both, but the one that goes above and beyond gets more reward. But that doesn't make the other one bad. If they get the work done and want to take a coffee break, go for it. If you are three weeks behind on your projects, then yeah, you better put that doughnut down and get busy.

As far as Apple, I've been in their stores quite a few times and I've seen very intelligent, and engaged employees, who have to provide service to hordes of customers in packed stores. I haven't seen any slackers. Have you seen otherwise?

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

I don't know how I feel about this. It really does depend on the job. In some jobs, there really is nothing to do. I worked as a telemarketer as a teenager. Sometimes, the calls would come in several minutes apart. On really slow days, we could wait 15 minutes or more for a call. We were losing available numbers as more and more people added themselves to the Do Not Call List. Our manager did not want us reading magazines or books. The computers worked on MS-DOS. LOL. All we could do was stare at the computer screen and twiddle our thumbs. What a mind-numbing job.

Then, you have emergency dispatchers and call-takers. During the graveyard shift, it's often slow. What are they supposed to do when calls aren't coming in?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
@Prloko I was not trying to disagree with you I was just stating my thoughts on the subject. I did not mean to infer that all Apple employees were slacking off I was referring to the ones that were complaining about waiting 10 minutes to get checked out.

I may be old fashion in my thoughts about work ethics, I have worked at all kinds of jobs from a cashier at "John's Bargain Store" which some of the old timers may remember to Owner of my own company. I always felt that as long as I was being paid I should try to find something to do even if it meant cleaning the bathroom.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:@Prloko I was not trying to disagree with you I was just stating my thoughts on the subject. I did not mean to infer that all Apple employees were slacking off I was referring to the ones that were complaining about waiting 10 minutes to get checked out.

I may be old fashion in my thoughts about work ethics, I have worked at all kinds of jobs from a cashier at "John's Bargain Store" which some of the old timers may remember to Owner of my own company. I always felt that as long as I was being paid I should try to find something to do even if it meant cleaning the bathroom.

no fight, I'm not offended Smile I always enjoy your posts. And again, I agree with you, you owe your employer an honest days work.

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,067 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 393 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
  Yesterday, April 20, 2023, a date which will live in infamy. People are going to die LevelUP 11 1,427 09-06-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,101 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 427 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 770 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,195 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  The Government Is Literally Stealing People’s Homes! LevelUP 1 729 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,740 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Some People Have Found a Novel Way to Get Money to Ukrainians LevelUP 0 506 03-06-2022, 09:53 AM
Last Post: LevelUP