Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
excelsior question
I am in process of getting my transcripts evaluated with EC. Do you have to stay enrolled in excelsior while you take CLEP/DSST exams? Is there a way not to be enrolled but still submit exam scores? I estimate it will take me at least about 2 years to complete my reqs. Just trying to avoid extra fees i dont need.

Thanks
I'm in the same process you are, and I'm quite sure that I read that you do NOT have to be enrolled...that you can put that off. For how long, I'm not sure. I plan on delaying my enrollment as well. I want to make sure that I don't have to pay for the SSAF for the 2nd year.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
pitbull30 Wrote:I am in process of getting my transcripts evaluated with EC. Do you have to stay enrolled in excelsior while you take CLEP/DSST exams? Is there a way not to be enrolled but still submit exam scores? I estimate it will take me at least about 2 years to complete my reqs. Just trying to avoid extra fees i dont need.

Thanks

Hi pitbull,

I didn't realize when you PM'd me yesterday that you weren't ALREADY enrolled. Then Matymus is correct, that you can wait to enroll and just take as many exams as you need (provided you are SURE that you aren't taking anything you won't need). So you can get busy taking exams, and worry about the enrollment later! I think the time limit for how long your CLEP and DANTES scores are good for (they can still be sent to Excelsior) is fairly long...hopefully someone here will know the exact time for sure.

So I say GO FOR IT!!! And have fun! Big Grin

JoAnne
I just wanted to make sure that after I get my evaluation done there isnt a mandatory enrollment in order to follow the plan i get apporved by them or there is a expiration on the evaluation they give you. Hope that makes sense.
pitbull30 Wrote:I just wanted to make sure that after I get my evaluation done there isnt a mandatory enrollment in order to follow the plan i get apporved by them or there is a expiration on the evaluation they give you. Hope that makes sense.

Oh, it makes perfect sense. I wouldn't have applied otherwise...I would've just waited.
Big Grin Matymus Primehilarious
Waterloo, NY
Excelsior College
B.S. General Business, Class of 2008

Fall 2011 - currently pursuing Pre-Pharmacy
I believe you can bank CLEP for 20 years. I don't know about DSST.
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE
Goal Master Library Science 2009

Ambition is the Path to success,
Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
The main exposure you will have is the degree requirements changing in the interim. If you're enrolled and the degree requirements change--the changes will not apply to you the same way. If you are not enrolled, the changes WILL apply to you. For example, here's a quote from my Excelsior counselor:

"A Heads Up: Our faculty has approved a change in
the Business Policy capstone course. Any student enrolling in the School of
Business Bachelor degrees on or after 9/1/07 will be required to take our
Business Strategy course, BUS 495. If you enroll in the Bachelor degree
before that time you will have a year to complete the requirement
elsewhere if you want to."

So, what you lose by not enrolling is degree plan assurance and access to an advisor. Now, realistically, how often do changes occur and how much could that hurt you? It seems like at least once every year or two SOMETHING like the quote above occurs. Is that protection and access to a counselor worth the extra $$$$???? It's your call. It's not that much exposure in my opinion and if you follow this forum and are following a common degree plan, you can probable get most of the info here. But--you may end up taking a class/test or two that are no longer part of the plan if you're not enrolled.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,188 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 558 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,353 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 679 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Calling all Excelsior business students! shoron 1 527 01-23-2023, 07:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Terminated by Excelsior Due to Lack of Activity pilot 1 457 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 619 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior vs locally named University? EDUxplorer 21 2,486 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 550 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 739 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha