Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSB/HR Grad. MASTERS?
(07-17-2019, 01:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of amused that you got a BA at a very expensive school, but then are looking to save money on the MA.  I personally would say spend very little on a BA, then splurge a little on the MA if you have the extra cash...

Well in this case, without very little knowledge. I researched online colleges and UoP was mentioned. Had I known UoP was expensive, I would've taken another route. I mentioned that college is new to me. I have zero support to inform about college. Being that I've spent a quite deal of money at UoP, yes, I am now seeking low cost.

WGU and Walden...
Anyone more suggestions?

I did look into a MBA program.
(07-17-2019, 12:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting indeed, I am guessing at this, but I think the OP finished at the UOP, the For-Profit entity known as University of Phoenix, not the University of the People.  So technically, the Bachelors is Regionally Accredited and not Nationally Accredited in the case of U of the People.  

My recommendation is also WGU, unless you want to go for a slightly more well known brand name, then go for Purdue Global MBA ExcelTrack, and as a third/final option, I'll throw in the Walden MBA as they have a couple of specializations, such as Project Management.

If you look into Walden we only speak here of their Tempo Learning options. Llike WGU it is a self-paced competency program; you have to be committed as a result if you want to get it done 'quicker and cheaper', but Walden (for-profit RA, like your UofP) often offers a first term free (nothing to lose if you don't like it - as long as you withdraw before the end of the first term; which are three months each).  I started there myself, but an MBA was just not for me (no matter what school) - so when I switched to WGU (non-profit, RA) I did not go for their MBA, but for a MS-ITM. I am really very happy with WGU - their student support system is fantastic should you need it (their terms are 6 months - its a factor if your looking to compare costs).

Of course if NA is ok with you then we're back to the other UofP - https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ba/deg...istration/ , but I'd strongly recommend sticking with an RA school - plus WGU and Walden are both ACBSP accredited - https://www.acbsp.org
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Whenyousee20
(07-17-2019, 01:07 PM)Whenyousee20 Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 01:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm kind of amused that you got a BA at a very expensive school, but then are looking to save money on the MA.  I personally would say spend very little on a BA, then splurge a little on the MA if you have the extra cash...

Well in this case, without very little knowledge. I researched online colleges and UoP was mentioned. Had I known UoP was expensive, I would've taken another route. I mentioned that college is new to me. I have zero support to inform about college. Being that I've spent a quite deal of money at UoP, yes, I am now seeking low cost.

WGU and Walden...
Anyone more suggestions?

Sorry, not trying to be snarky - did you not realize it was expensive when you signed up for your first class?  I wasn't an expert or anything when I first started, but I certainly knew when something was expensive.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Whenyousee20
(07-17-2019, 01:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 01:07 PM)Whenyousee20 Wrote:

WGU and Walden...
Anyone more suggestions?

Sorry, not trying to be snarky - did you not realize it was expensive when you signed up for your first class?  I wasn't an expert or anything when I first started, but I certainly knew when something was expensive.

When you're young, you do things just for the fun of it. Once i started, other colleges accepted nearly 3 credits so I decided to stay.

(07-17-2019, 01:16 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 12:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting indeed, I am guessing at this, but I think the OP finished at the UOP, the For-Profit entity known as University of Phoenix, not the University of the People.  So technically, the Bachelors is Regionally Accredited and not Nationally Accredited in the case of U of the People.  

My recommendation is also WGU, unless you want to go for a slightly more well known brand name, then go for Purdue Global MBA ExcelTrack, and as a third/final option, I'll throw in the Walden MBA as they have a couple of specializations, such as Project Management.

If you look into Walden we only speak here of their Tempo Learning options. Llike WGU it is a self-paced competency program; you have to be committed as a result if you want to get it done 'quicker and cheaper', but Walden (for-profit RA, like your UofP) often offers a first term free (nothing to lose if you don't like it - as long as you withdraw before the end of the first term; which are three months each).  I started there myself, but an MBA was just not for me (no matter what school) - so when I switched to WGU (non-profit, RA) I did not go for their MBA, but for a MS-ITM. I am really very happy with WGU - their student support system is fantastic should you need it (their terms are 6 months - its a factor if your looking to compare costs).

Of course if NA is ok with you then we're back to the other UofP - https://www.uopeople.edu/programs/ba/deg...istration/ , but I'd strongly recommend sticking with an RA school - plus WGU and Walden are both ACBSP accredited - https://www.acbsp.org

Mind I ask why wasn't any MBA program suitable for you?
(07-17-2019, 01:42 PM)Whenyousee20 Wrote:
(07-17-2019, 01:16 PM)allvia Wrote: If you look into Walden we only speak here of their Tempo Learning options. Llike WGU it is a self-paced competency program; you have to be committed as a result if you want to get it done 'quicker and cheaper', but Walden (for-profit RA, like your UofP) often offers a first term free (nothing to lose if you don't like it - as long as you withdraw before the end of the first term; which are three months each).  I started there myself, but an MBA was just not for me (no matter what school) - so when I switched to WGU (non-profit, RA) I did not go for their MBA, but for a MS-ITM. I am really very happy with WGU - their student support system is fantastic should you need it (their terms are 6 months - its a factor if your looking to compare costs).

Mind I ask why wasn't any MBA program suitable for you?

I don't mind you asking at all.  I did my bachelor in business administration (BSBA-GM) because it was just easier at the time I started this alternative route to plan out and obtain credits. TESU was the lower cost option as well (at the time), and at that time a BACS/BSCS was not an option for this method (it is now - hence my stop with an ASNSM in Computer Science).  I have worked in CS/Technology for more years than I'd like to admit (decades), and my current career path is working towards IT related project management.  The BSBA has been a great way to 'prove' that I understand the business side of things (and gave my the ability to 'check the box' that I am a college graduate), while my work experience proves my IT knowledge. In the end I realized that the MS IT Management is a better fit for where I am now, and where I'm going career wise - and the topics if the MS-ITM is of far more interest to me. Can't knock having interest in a subject to keep you motivated.   When I did try the MBA at Walden, Project Management was my concentration - there is good career growth in PM and I will eventually take the PMP exam (pass it! - and that will be all the professional 'proof' I need for project management) 

If you're not 100% sure where you want to end up in the long run an MBA is a very solid choice - it is extremely well recognized as far as master degrees go, and it is general enough to not box you into one set path.  Also since you're already going for a BSBA/HR you're likely already familiar with many of the topics an MBA covers - that existing knowledge helps to accelerate your MBA through these competency programs we recommend most often here.
Amberton University

Thank you, Guys for those who gave their insight. I absolutely appreciate it.

Next question, when should I apply for grad school? Months before? or when I'm complete with undergrad??
(07-18-2019, 10:08 AM)Whenyousee20 Wrote: Thank you, Guys for those who gave their insight. I absolutely appreciate it.

Next question, when should I apply for grad school? Months before? or when I'm complete with undergrad??

If you're going with WGU or Walden - I'd wait until you graduate.  They both require your degree official transcript to confirm you have the degree, and they both start on rolling schedules (each month vs semesters) - so the process is overall quick.
Amberton University

allvia Wrote:
Whenyousee20 Wrote:Thank you, Guys for those who gave their insight. I absolutely appreciate it.

If you're going with WGU or Walden - I'd wait until you graduate.  They both require your degree official transcript to confirm you have the degree, and they both start on rolling schedules (each month vs semesters) - so the process is overall quick.

FYI, WhenYouSee20, for all graduate studies, you must have "finished" your degree before you can apply as they will need your final transcripts from the undergrad institution before they fully admit you. You can apply before graduating, but you'll only have conditional acceptance at most and they won't let you begin until you have finished/conferred for undergrad.

BTW, There are a few MBA's that can be had that is competency based, WGU, Walden, Purdue Global, and you can check out other providers as well that may not be competency based.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 127 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 3,937 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,923 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,510 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 480 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,559 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,104 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,265 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,040 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Affordable Indiana University Kelley Bschool Online Masters smartdegree 6 695 01-19-2024, 12:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77