Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question on TESU non-proctored degree classes?
Hi All,

I am helping my son develop a degree plan to finish his Bachelor's degree. It will likely be in Business (potentially Finance) or Bachelor of Liberal Studies. I believe someone had mentioned that it is possible to complete a Bachelor of Liberal Studies at TESU without taking any proctored classes? I forgot if this is possible or not.

He prefers to minimize or not have any proctored exams, but, can take some.I

He is looking at either TESU for a BALS or Business degree. Is it possible to complete the Business Bachelors of Business without proctored exams? The other option he is looking at is UMPI BABA program.

Thanks,

Education Seeker
At TESU, it's possible to minimize proctored exams by choosing sources of credit wisely. However, for some required credits, there may not be an option without an exam. Thus, it's likely that your son will need to take a few exams. Many courses at TESU have a required proctored midterm exam. You can check this for each course by going to the TESU courses page, clicking on the course title, then clicking the syllabus link. An exam will be mentioned there if one is required. 
The TESU Business Administration Capstone, BUS-421, has a required midterm exam. 
The TESU Liberal Arts Capstone, LIB-495, requires taking the ETS Major Field Test or a Written Communication Assessment, which I think is proctored through ProctorU. 
Note that, for most exams, TESU allows alternative pen & paper proctoring arrangements in lieu of ProctorU. 

FYI for the UMPI YourPace BABA, applicants must be at least 20 years old. How old is your son?
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
on Lib 495, here is some info on the ETS Major Field test. Not all majors take that https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4D...h0M_k/edit
and the Written Communication Assessment was not proctored or timed essay. It was turned in with regular class stuff (aka on Moodle).
and the Lib 495 "proficiency exam" was timed but not proctored in case that matters. that's different thing in that class.

I did TESU BALS in 2021 without proctored at TESU. only took Sos110 and LIB 495 at TESU. Turned in written assignments. But I did have 4 or 5 courses that needed final exam proctoring ( some from SDC and some from Coopersmith). wasn't bad with ProctorU experience with Coopersmith and my internet was good enough. others have had other experiences. and with SDC it was fine too. Set up a room with sheets on the bookcases and empty walls. it really wasn't that bad. more nervous than needed to be.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(08-01-2022, 02:48 PM)jch Wrote: At TESU, it's possible to minimize proctored exams by choosing sources of credit wisely. However, for some required credits, there may not be an option without an exam. Thus, it's likely that your son will need to take a few exams. Many courses at TESU have a required proctored midterm exam. You can check this for each course by going to the TESU courses page, clicking on the course title, then clicking the syllabus link. An exam will be mentioned there if one is required. 
The TESU Business Administration Capstone, BUS-421, has a required midterm exam. 
The TESU Liberal Arts Capstone, LIB-495, requires taking the ETS Major Field Test or a Written Communication Assessment, which I think is proctored through ProctorU. 
Note that, for most exams, TESU allows alternative pen & paper proctoring arrangements in lieu of ProctorU. 

FYI for the UMPI YourPace BABA, applicants must be at least 20 years old. How old is your son?

Hi @jch,

My son is turning 21 in 2 weeks. I recall @bjcheung77 I believe or one of the regular contributor/moderators stating that it is possible to complete TESU BALS degree without taking proctored courses, but, I could be wrong. Is it possible to take alternative credits through a provider like Sophia, Coopersmith, Davar, or another provider for UL credits that are not proctored? How long is the LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone assessment? Is it like a long essay that is proctored?

Thanks,

Education Seeker

(08-01-2022, 05:04 PM)P226mem Wrote: on Lib 495, here is some info on the ETS Major Field test.  Not all majors take that https://docs.google.com/document/d/10S4D...h0M_k/edit
and the Written Communication Assessment was not proctored or timed essay. It was turned in with regular class stuff (aka on Moodle).
and the Lib 495 "proficiency exam" was timed but not proctored in case that matters.  that's different thing in that class.

I did TESU BALS in 2021 without proctored at TESU.  only took Sos110 and LIB 495 at TESU. Turned in written assignments.  But I did have 4 or 5  courses that needed final exam proctoring ( some from SDC and some from Coopersmith). wasn't bad with ProctorU experience with Coopersmith and my internet was good enough. others have had other experiences.  and with SDC it was fine too.  Set up a room with sheets on the bookcases and empty walls.  it really wasn't that bad.  more nervous than needed to be.

Hi @P225mem,

Echoing the question I had to @jch, but, in your experience, are there UL options aside from SDC like Sophia (I think this is generally LL courses credit that is evaluated at when transferring) that don't require proctoring? I was wondering for him if there is an option for other credits *aside* from the TESU courses (i.e. alternate providers) that don't have a proctoring requirement or minimize the number of proctoring courses or at least have a better proctoring experience?

Thanks,

Education Seeker
The only Sophia course that might come in as upper-level at TESU is Principles of Management (MAN-301): https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Davar Academy lets you choose between ProctorU (live), RPnow (recorded), and a local proctor: https://www.davaracademy.com/take-a-course.html
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(08-02-2022, 07:40 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: The only Sophia course that might come in as upper-level at TESU is Principles of Management (MAN-301): https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List

Davar Academy lets you choose between ProctorU (live), RPnow (recorded), and a local proctor: https://www.davaracademy.com/take-a-course.html

They don't bring any Prin of Management courses in as UL because they don't consider that an UL course at their own school (although they used to years ago - my Prin of Management and Prin of Marketing CLEP exams came in as UL).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hmm, is there a need for a second thread in regards to this?  You've been back and forth with TESU and UMPI, sometimes (as I mentioned) it'll be hard to decide and will take time.  It's great you're asking questions but if it duplicates what was asked, I don't think there will be a real need to "re-ask" as things wouldn't have changed too much in the last few months.

Pretty much what you want to do is have a plan/spreadsheet created for both and see which one has the least amount of proctored exams, lowest cost, ease to complete, quickest time to finish, provides the most ROI and value.  Being stuck at starting really will continue to bog your son down, especially since he needs to get back up on his feet after such trauma.

It's great you're helping your sons, both boys are late teens and early 20's, talk to them and see how they want to proceed, it doesn't have to be 100% exact, make sure the courses you take transfer to BOTH TESU & UMPI, that's it, get those 90 credits and be done with the BABA or BSBA!  The few months you've been going back and forth would have gotten you to that already...

In short, continue with the Sophia.org/Study.com combo and complete as many courses that will go towards a degree, you can change it to another school if you do decide to switch as the last 30 credits will be done there at UMPI, or the last 16 credits at TESU.  That's the only difference, the last few credits (and a language/lab course).

As a proud dad, you may be pressuring your sons even more if you "delay starting".  Let them get some courses off their chests and have the ball rolling, they'll get more momentum when it comes, the plans don't have to be 100% perfecto.  Your previous threads are here, review them: UMPI and TESU , the landscape may change as you can go for Excelsior University BSLA with LawShelf at $35 for UL requirements.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
(08-03-2022, 01:39 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, is there a need for a second thread in regards to this?  You've been back and forth with TESU and UMPI, sometimes (as I mentioned) it'll be hard to decide and will take time.  It's great you're asking questions but if it duplicates what was asked, I don't think there will be a real need to "re-ask" as things wouldn't have changed too much in the last few months.

Pretty much what you want to do is have a plan/spreadsheet created for both and see which one has the least amount of proctored exams, lowest cost, ease to complete, quickest time to finish, provides the most ROI and value.  Being stuck at starting really will continue to bog your son down, especially since he needs to get back up on his feet after such trauma.

It's great you're helping your sons, both boys are late teens and early 20's, talk to them and see how they want to proceed, it doesn't have to be 100% exact, make sure the courses you take transfer to BOTH TESU & UMPI, that's it, get those 90 credits and be done with the BABA or BSBA!  The few months you've been going back and forth would have gotten you to that already...

In short, continue with the Sophia.org/Study.com combo and complete as many courses that will go towards a degree, you can change it to another school if you do decide to switch as the last 30 credits will be done there at UMPI, or the last 16 credits at TESU.  That's the only difference, the last few credits (and a language/lab course).

As a proud dad, you may be pressuring your sons even more if you "delay starting".  Let them get some courses off their chests and have the ball rolling, they'll get more momentum when it comes, the plans don't have to be 100% perfecto.  Your previous threads are here, review them: UMPI and TESU , the landscape may change as you can go for Excelsior University BSLA with LawShelf at $35 for UL requirements.

@bjcheung77

I appreciate the advice and I apologize if I was duplicating past questions that were asked. I was having difficulty finding the old posts. I had recalled you stating it was possible to do a TESU Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BALS) that did not require proctored classes?

I am not sure my younger son is ready yet for college classes yet, but, the older one has started taking Sophia classes per your advice.

I appreciate it.

Education Seeker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 754 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Quick question about MAN-3760 & MAN-3730 jg_nuy 7 480 03-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 26 2,049 03-01-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538