Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local proctoring experiences/tips?
Question 
After another ProctorFU disaster, I'm looking at other options for exam proctoring. I see that TESU and Saylor offer the option to use a qualifying local in-person proctor. TESU mails a paper exam to the proctor, while Saylor sends a password to the proctor for their online exam. My local library offers proctoring services free of charge and is now back to full operating hours. I'm considering using that route for applicable exams in the future. Has anyone used this proctoring option before? What were your experiences with TESU and/or Saylor? Are there any gotchas or tips that I should be aware of? Thanks!
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
I've done in-person proctoring with TESU. I filled out the proctor form TESU with the proctor's information about 7ish days later my proctor received my test in the mail with all the instructions on how to proctor etc. My proctor and I scheduled a time I took the test and they mailed it that same day about 14ish days later had a grade update for my test.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

You know what, I've always thought about how to get the Saylor exams for free with in-person proctors, but every single proctor I look at are "paid" where I am... So, as a workaround for this, I figured out an option! Some independent CLEP exam centers have specific hours they provide you for an exam, say if a CLEP center offers a flat rate of $50 for 1-3 hours, and $10 and extra hour, then you can try to cram one more exam into that one session! Haha, that means, if you're doing a CLEP exam from ModernStates, you get reimbursed for the exam, but because you have "time left', you can do an extra Saylor or two if you're really speedy!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'm all set up to take the two exams for my current TESU courses at my local library. That process was relatively painless to deal with. I just got permission from the proctor and entered their info into the TESU form. TESU quickly checked in with them and approved the arrangement.

Saylor, on the other hand, is difficult to work with. Their proctoring security requirements are more rigorous than I've seen from any actual school. We went back and forth for a month regarding proctor identification documents. They wanted the proctor to upload a photo of their staff badge, but the library doesn't allow that. Saylor finally gave me the go ahead to schedule a proctoring appointment, but never provided the access code to my proctor. Unless they respond in the next 24 hours, my appointment for corporate communications tomorrow won't taken. As is the norm with Saylor, their support contacts are often a black hole. Attempting to utilize their in-person proctoring option requires staff intervention at several points in the process. If the support contacts don't respond, the process doesn't work.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
I wonder if / when one of us start teaching at a college, etc, if we can sign up for this and do our proctoring over zoom or something for each other or something. More trustworthy and forum members that won't get so mad about people having kids etc nearby.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Novo
(07-16-2021, 03:56 PM)ashkir Wrote: I wonder if / when one of us start teaching at a college, etc, if we can sign up for this and do our proctoring over zoom or something for each other or something. More trustworthy and forum members that won't get so mad about people having kids etc nearby.

The issues with that are that the institution itself generally sets the rules about things like having kids nearby, what stuff can be in the room, etc. Often very, very detailed.

Also, there are all sorts of requirements for security, locked down web browsers and such. With so many virtual proctoring options, I would find it hard to imagine that a school would allow a virtual proctoring situation other than one of the commercial ones.
(07-16-2021, 03:01 PM)jch Wrote: I'm all set up to take the two exams for my current TESU courses at my local library. That process was relatively painless to deal with. I just got permission from the proctor and entered their info into the TESU form. TESU quickly checked in with them and approved the arrangement.  

Saylor, on the other hand, is difficult to work with. Their proctoring security requirements are more rigorous than I've seen from any actual school. We went back and forth for a month regarding proctor identification documents. They wanted the proctor to upload a photo of their staff badge, but the library doesn't allow that. Saylor finally gave me the go ahead to schedule a proctoring appointment, but never provided the access code to my proctor. Unless they respond in the next 24 hours, my appointment for corporate communications tomorrow won't taken. As is the norm with Saylor, their support contacts are often a black hole. Attempting to utilize their in-person proctoring option requires staff intervention at several points in the process. If the support contacts don't respond, the process doesn't work.

I'm all done with exams in the current term. The TESU exams went well, with some issues. Here's the general process to take exams using in-person proctoring: 
  1. Get approval from the proctor
  2. Provide proctor's info to TESU
  3. OTA confirms proctor's details
  4. OTA emails exam info to proctor
  5. OTA mails exam materials to proctor
  6. Proctor receives exam in the mail and sets up an appointment slot
  7. Take the exam while the proctor is present
  8. Proctor fills out a certification section on the front of the exam booklet
  9. Proctor mails the exam booklet/materials back to TESU using the included reply envelope
  10. TESU receives and scores the exam within a few weeks

Compared to online proctoring, this system had much less stress. I easily received the accommodations necessary for success and could take my approved bathroom/water/rest breaks as needed with no fuss. The physical environment wasn't perfect but worked out. I had to sit at a table in front of the reference librarian's desk so that she could observe me while doing her work. Unfortunately, I was occasionally distracted by other library patrons walking by or chatting. 

One exam with all multiple-choice questions utilized a scantron-style bubble sheet to record responses. The other exam, comprising mixed multiple-choice and essay questions, used the exam booklet for everything. Be prepared with several writing instruments! Contrary to my earlier expectation, TESU provides a return envelope with postage. 

My proctor received the epack exam a few weeks after the start of the term, and I took it right away. Within about two weeks, it was scored and reflected on my TESU transcript. 
However, there was a problem with the other exam. It was supposed to be a midterm exam, so I wasn't suspicious when it didn't arrive straight away. However, as the midterm week approached, I still hadn't heard from my proctor. When I asked, she quickly confirmed to me that she had yet to receive anything. Then, I emailed OTA at TESU. Someone responded right away, apologizing for their mistakes. They had missed this course on my forms at the start of the term and then failed to catch the mistake when I emailed them to confirm my exam arrangements. It took a week to get it mailed out and another week for my proctor to receive it. Due to further scheduling conflicts, I was delayed by one more week. In the end, this worked out fine, and I appreciated the extra preparation time. Still waiting on the score, but I'm feeling confident. 

Through this process, I've identified two gotchas to be aware of:
  • Make sure that the proctor has received the exam materials. Monitor the process, and reach out if something isn't happening as expected. 
  • Answering exam questions on paper takes much longer than it does on a computer! I'm used to whipping through the 100-question computer-based DSST exams in about 15 minutes. Here, the 100-question TESU paper exam took me about 45 minutes to finish. Filling in those bubbles is very time-consuming! Written answers are even worse. My other exam also had five short essay questions, which stretched my physical stamina and appointment slot to their very limits. 
Now, on to Saylor. As I expected, they never delivered the exam access codes to my proctor. To date, no one from their team ever responded to my increasingly frantic messages. In fact, the last communication I received from them regarding proctoring was two months ago! 
Not wanting to delay the exams and disrupt my schedule, I scrambled to set up ProctorU sessions. As expected, I had three ProctorFU experiences. In all of the sessions, it took longer for them to get their systems to work than it did for me to actually answer the exam questions. During the second session, there were serious issues getting the proctoring software connected. Their support technician disregarded the fact that I had just completed a proctoring session and insisted that something was wrong on my end. After failing to find any faults on my system, even running an internet speed test, he finally relented and did some magic on his end to make it work. During the third session, I experienced yet another example of ProctorU's totally inconsistent security procedures. Saylor instructed ProctorU to have candidates show their computer screen using a mirror. Earlier in the day, I successfully used the back of a CD twice for this task. Now, the proctor insisted that using a CD was strictly against policy. Despite their confident marketing copy, I have never experienced the same set of exam security measures twice with ProctorU. In the end, I dealt with the drama and passed all three of the exams. 
One department at Saylor has been in contact with me recently - their marketing people. They congratulated me on completing four courses and asked me to consider appearing in their student spotlight. Of course, I told them to fix the proctoring and ACE/Credly issues first. Waiting on a follow-up from Saylor management on that.
ProctorU has gotten so bad that I also had to do the pen/paper test. I didn't have a problem with ProctorU in 2018 and 2019 from what I remember, but starting in 2020, it didn't work at all on my computer even though nothing changed.

Highly recommend going to the library and just doing it there if it's possible.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
One more piece of advice if taking an exam with written/essay questions via in-person proctoring:
After taking the exam, message the mentor to let them know. OTA will scan the paper exam pages for the mentor to grade. However, the mentor isn't necessarily notified. My mentor wasn't aware I had taken a midterm exam on paper until I asked why it still wasn't graded. Then he was able to pull it up right away. Sending the mentor a message lets them know to be on the lookout.
Things went a bit awry this term when setting up exam arrangements. 
The person at TESU responsible for setting up exam accommodations and processing the forms is on leave, and the university didn't set up any alternative arrangements. I sent in my TARF as soon as possible but didn't get any response beyond the automated acknowledgment. My emails to several relevant contacts went unanswered. Eventually, after several students' prodding for over a month, someone else retrieved the forms and pushed everything through. 
My proctor finally received the exams, which I'll hopefully take soon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,606 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology udi 41 7,343 09-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graduation and Commencement Tips and Tricks? 2021 Toastmaster 11 1,661 09-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Flelm
Exclamation GPA tips - graduation - multiple failed class attempts szr 7 1,363 08-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Just applied to TESU. Any tips? romoh 3 1,039 03-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  AOS for BA in Psych - length of time, tips, etc. CarpeDiem8 28 4,645 02-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Local CC Police Academy Credits - Syllabus Requested fingerscrossedx2 8 1,480 04-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Completed Associate Degree from Thomas Edison - A Few Tips jumpstart 4 1,815 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero