Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestions for 1st Straighterline class
My 10th grader is going to take his first Straighterline class starting this December. He isn't working on a degree, but this will count for high school credit and college credit later.

I don't care about the subject, I just want his first class to be a good experience. I'd like him to complete it in 1 month as well. If you were in my shoes, which class would you choose?
cookderosa Wrote:My 10th grader is going to take his first Straighterline class starting this December. He isn't working on a degree, but this will count for high school credit and college credit later.

I don't care about the subject, I just want his first class to be a good experience. I'd like him to complete it in 1 month as well. If you were in my shoes, which class would you choose?

My teenage son just started with Straighterline at the end of September. He has completed 8 courses and is working on a few more - he has found the history classes to be enjoyable and pretty simple (open book finals), and he really enjoyed Business Ethics. Environmental Science was a good one as well, and he is a kid who hates science. I also recommend English Comp 1 and 2 - those are good ones to get out of the way and I found the courses to be thorough and to cover much more than I expected.

Your son should be able to complete any of the above courses in well under a month. I recommend ordering the texts used on Amazon, though, as they are much cheaper there.
I'd say have him start with the English comps also, get them out of the way now. Unless your child is really good in English with writing and that kind of thing then have them take the CLEP and go with something Like History or maybe even a personal finance type thing. Never to early to start learning about money.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
May also want to try for this https://study.com/blog/guardian-s-person...rship.html not sure if they have any left but I just got mine so I think they do. You can get 3months free. If you do 2 courses each month that will be 18 credits for free. Over a semester down at 0 cost. You child can take the Mandatory Personal Finance course and then just take a bunch of gen ed stuff so it doesn't mess with a possible degree choice down the road.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:May also want to try for this https://study.com/blog/guardian-s-person...rship.html not sure if they have any left but I just got mine so I think they do. You can get 3months free. If you do 2 courses each month that will be 18 credits for free. Over a semester down at 0 cost. You child can take the Mandatory Personal Finance course and then just take a bunch of gen ed stuff so it doesn't mess with a possible degree choice down the road.

Thanks, but he's not doing Study.com, he'll be doing Straighterline.
rowan555 Wrote:My teenage son just started with Straighterline at the end of September. He has completed 8 courses and is working on a few more - he has found the history classes to be enjoyable and pretty simple (open book finals), and he really enjoyed Business Ethics. Environmental Science was a good one as well, and he is a kid who hates science. I also recommend English Comp 1 and 2 - those are good ones to get out of the way and I found the courses to be thorough and to cover much more than I expected.

Your son should be able to complete any of the above courses in well under a month. I recommend ordering the texts used on Amazon, though, as they are much cheaper there.

Rowan, are you guys using print text or ebooks?
Cultural Anthropology is an easy one to start with. The ebook is available free online and the questions were logical and in the text. I hate when their exam questions don't match up with the exact year text (e.g. regarding exhibit 12.4, what were the names of the top whatever) and points are lost. Not a bad topic to learn either!
Done! 0-120 TESU BSBA  Cool
I just finished 3 classes on straighterline...each one took me about a week. Intro to Religion was pretty straight forward. All open book quizzes and final. I also thought Intro to Communications was pretty easy and fast to complete. All open book with 3 speeches that you record on youtube and submit for grading. American Government was a little more challenging in my opinion. A closed book final and the questions were trickier.
cookderosa Wrote:Rowan, are you guys using print text or ebooks?

He prefers the print books, and I was able to get all of them for less than $10 shipped each, so it worked out well.
cookderosa Wrote:Thanks, but he's not doing Study.com, he'll be doing Straighterline.

My son got the Guardian scholarship to Study.com 2 days after he signed up with Straighterline - bad timing, but it's hard to turn down free! He's juggling both right now, and while it's not ideal, he is knocking out a few credits with Study.com at absolutely no cost, so it's worth it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,441 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 632 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,169 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,089 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138