Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
systems analyst cert/programs
Does anyone know of cheap/free systems analyst training that offer a certificate or training in epic or other healthcare related software?
Clinical Epic Analyst (IP Orders) here. I'll just mention that Epic is very protective of their training material and you're unlikely to find anything outside of the official training that's going to be worth anything. Certification/proficiency in Epic requires sponsorship by an organization that has an Epic implementation in place or is upcoming. So, if you're dead-set on Epic certification, your best option is to get a relevant job with a healthcare organization that uses it. Some consulting agencies like TEKsystems will hire techie folks on and send them for Epic certification, but it's pretty difficult to get them to do this without a track record with that company.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
Thanks for the info. My wife currently does coding (CPC) and I gave her the idea of getting systems analytics. Any certifications out there that could get your foot the door to get hired within a healthcare organization that could potentially be a sponsor?
(08-10-2018, 04:37 PM)Paramedic12 Wrote: Thanks for the info. My wife currently does coding (CPC) and I gave her the idea of getting systems analytics. Any certifications out there that could get your foot the door to get hired within a healthcare organization that could potentially be a sponsor?

If she has a considerable amount of coding experience, I would recommend that she look for an HB or PB Epic job and apply straight away without worrying about certs. I think the product/module is called Resolute. YMMV, but I think that most organizations would rather have someone that knows the end user workflow and will teach them the techie side (which, honestly, isn't all that techie) instead of trying to take a techie person and teach them the workflow. Does that make sense?

Things like PMP and understanding data analytics are good for moving up. But, for getting in the door, the clinical background is going to generally be more important when attempting to land that first Epic role.

Also, by no means am I implying that Epic is the way to go. With the VA finally getting around to attempting to implement Cerner, I think there's going to be some insane consulting money to be made here soon. But, Epic consulting is also still pretty lucrative as well.

She’s applied to a couple epic systems analyst jobs with no response. I’ve reached out to epic about taking courses independently and they’re pretty strict about being affiliated with a partner or contractor to take courses.

Any ideas on the best approach to get an entry level job that would sponsor? I also reached out to Cerner with the same results.
Ah, I love these kinds of things.

Q: How do I get Epic certification?
A: You need to work for a partner company that will give you the training.

Q: Ok, then how do I get hired by a partner company?
A: You need an Epic certification.

Awesome
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It’s so frustrating. It seems like an awwesome career path to go down but getting started seems impossible. She works for a contracting coding company that doesn’t offer any type of education. She’s applied to a major health insurance company as a healthcare operations associate (temp) to see if that experience can get her foot in the door.

I was thinking maybe there would be a private online company that offers epic or Cerner education even if they’re not affiliated with epic or Cerner. I feel like company’s may hire just based on the fact you have knowledge of how the system works and a basic understanding of what the job entails. I’ve had no luck finding any type of education like that though
(08-26-2018, 08:49 AM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I was thinking maybe there would be a private online company that offers epic or Cerner education even if they’re not affiliated with epic or Cerner. I feel like company’s may hire just based on the fact you have knowledge of how the system works and a basic understanding of what the job entails. I’ve had no luck finding any type of education like that though

Nope. So, a couple of cold, hard facts:
1) You will not find a reputable company that offers "unofficial" Epic training, as it's essentially of zero value because;
2) The Epic certification itself is valued more than the knowledge of how to actually make Epic work.

Why? Because most hiring managers have absolutely no clue as to what the day to day work involves, so Epic certification is their only benchmark by which to judge.

If you're not getting any bites on a direct-entry application for an Epic analyst position, you have a couple of options:
1) If it's feasible to relocate, expand your job search. My organization has hired many non-Epic certified folks from outside of our immediate geographic region based on clinical experience and aptitude. Unfortunately, there was no relocation bonus for these people, so it was a risky move to be sure.
2) Consider applying for a position with an organization that is live on Epic or soon to implement, which is in your wife's current skillset. In 6 months (or whatever the minimum transfer time frame is for the employer), apply for an open Epic position.

Outside of this, there is no surefire way to get directly into an Epic position with a company that you don't already work for, unless you have great contacts. Does your wife know anyone -- and I mean anyone -- at the organization she is applying at? It's very possible that her app is getting sent to the circular file long before it even hits the hiring manager, so if she knows anyone that can at least get the app in front of a manager, it would help tremendously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,305 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 357 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 521 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,650 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters-level CBE programs EverSpinning 5 1,421 10-11-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Any Master programs similar to UMPI? Ebroady23 6 1,342 10-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Last Post: xspect
  Completion programs for Business Heartstrings 4 463 10-02-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Heartstrings
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 805 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,453 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM