Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
top military friendly colleges?
I'd like your opinion - I'm looking for military friendly colleges.

They have to cap their tuition at $250 for TA and they have to be distance learning.

Though I know you can make an argument for the big 3, I'm less inclined to go there since all the degrees can't be done in house (making it a real PITA for someone with limited time to research such things).

My #1 is American Military University, because of the above- plus they accept ACE and CLEP, they offer relevant degrees that can be completed 100% in house.

Any other really really good contenders?
A lot of people I work with like Bellevue University. They cap out at 250 for 5 degree programs: Criminal Justice, Investigations, IT Operations Management, Leadership, and Management. Many others prefer AMU because books are included in tuition
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
Excelsior offers all of the required courses for all of their programs. TESC and COSC make it clear which degrees can be completed only using their courses. TESC offers nearly 30 online bachelor's degrees.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have known people they liked UMUC; all in house and military friendly as well.
Fort Hays seems to be a very military friendly school. Even though they don't accept Straighterline or Aleks, they did accept all of my Community College of the Air Force credits.
sanantone Wrote:Excelsior offers all of the required courses for all of their programs. TESC and COSC make it clear which degrees can be completed only using their courses. TESC offers nearly 30 online bachelor's degrees.

Sanantone, have you found a list on TESC's website? I looked around a bit yesterday but didn't see anything.
cookderosa Wrote:Sanantone, have you found a list on TESC's website? I looked around a bit yesterday but didn't see anything.

All of the programs listed on their online degrees page can be completed using only TESC courses. The other degrees are listed under "What You Can Study."

Quote:Thomas Edison State College offers a wide variety of degree and certificate programs that may be completed entirely through the College's online and distance learning courses. Below is list of these programs.

Thomas Edison State College: Online Degrees and Certificates
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:All of the programs listed on their online degrees page can be completed using only TESC courses. The other degrees are listed under "What You Can Study."

Thomas Edison State College: Online Degrees and Certificates

Thank you!
navy3912 Wrote:I have known people they liked UMUC; all in house and military friendly as well.

Of all the military friendly schools, it's been my experience that they are the most like a regular school and can be unfriendly in certain instances.

If you deploy a lot or work a lot of overtime, I would find another school that is flexible around your schedule.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
There is a publishing company that produces magazines with military friendly employers and schools. Every year, they come out with a book (usually available at the base ed office) with a list of what they deem as military friendly (CLEP/ACE friendliness, deployment policies, military tuition, veteran's liasion, distance options, etc.). Its not a bad list, but it has a lot of schools and it is still confusing, but a good start for whatever you are trying to do. Surprisingly, none of the Big-3 are on it even though they have huge military enrollments. http://militaryfriendly.com/

But getting to the subject at hand, I personally did Saint Leo University for two semesters and loved the school. They are a small Jesuit school with a B&M in Florida. They have satellite campuses on military bases around the country. Also, Embry Riddle is great and has a good rep. Other good military friendly schools on my list, TESC, COSC, Excelsior, Troy University, University of Oklahoma, NVCC, Tidewater CC, ODU and CMU.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best and Worst Colleges for Veterans sanantone 9 5,481 09-05-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: AUDACITY4U
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Converting Dive training to Colleges credit vetvso 9 1,680 09-16-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,575 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,533 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,773 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,924 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,256 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore