Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which school for a degree in history
I was thinking about getting a third degree in history from TESC or COSC. I already have a BS from EC. I am assuming I already meet the general education requirements and only need the history requirements. Here are the history exams choices:
Civil War & Reconstruction DSST 3 Upper
A History of the Vietnam War DSST 3 Lower
Intro to Modern Middle East DSST 3 Lower
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union DSST 3 Upper
U.S. History I: Early Colonizations to 1877 CLEP 3 Lower
U.S. History II: 1865 to the Present CLEP 3 Lower
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 CLEP 3 Lower
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present CLEP 3 Lower
Western Europe since 1945 DSST 3 Lower
Intro to World Religions DSST 3 Lower
Social Science and History CLEP 6 Lower
World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE 3 Upper

I am active duty military but have used up all my tuition assistance. Which school would be the cheapest route? I am guessing TESC since they don't require a capstone course. Any thoughts?
Couple of things...and I only know how it works for the Army, so if things are different for your service, please feel free to disregard what I have to say.

Tuition assistance won't pay for additional coursework at the baccalaureate level if you've already completed a BA or BS.

If you do get them to pay for it somehow, TA starts over with the beginning of each fiscal year, so you would only have to wait 2 1/2 months.

You shouldn't have an issue with any of the above if you're strictly taking exams...tests don't draw from TA.

Have you verified that those 24 lower level and 9 upper level credits are enough to complete a history degree?

And most importantly...why are you going for a 3rd undergraduate degree instead of starting a masters program?
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09
I have a MBA. I'm willing to get a different masters but TA won't pay for it. Everything for now on is out of my pocket. Since the exams are free, I thought I could get an additional BA for around $1400.

I think TESC may be the best bet. Their Military Degree Completion Program stipulates 18 hours which can consist of TECEP exams. At $83 per credit attempt ($83 x 18), I'm looking at $1494. The alternative would be to pay the annual tuition at $1390 for the BA in history. I'm not sure if the above exams I listed above would count. I was hoping somebody would be able to tell me before I shell out $75.

Since I'm paying out of pocket, what are the cheapest masters to get?

You've got an impressive amount of exams racked up. How did you prepare, instacert?
dave042 Wrote:I was thinking about getting a third degree in history from TESC or COSC. I already have a BS from EC. I am assuming I already meet the general education requirements and only need the history requirements. Here are the history exams choices:
Civil War & Reconstruction DSST 3 Upper
A History of the Vietnam War DSST 3 Lower
Intro to Modern Middle East DSST 3 Lower
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union DSST 3 Upper
U.S. History I: Early Colonizations to 1877 CLEP 3 Lower
U.S. History II: 1865 to the Present CLEP 3 Lower
Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 CLEP 3 Lower
Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present CLEP 3 Lower
Western Europe since 1945 DSST 3 Lower
Intro to World Religions DSST 3 Lower
Social Science and History CLEP 6 Lower
World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE 3 Upper

I am active duty military but have used up all my tuition assistance. Which school would be the cheapest route? I am guessing TESC since they don't require a capstone course. Any thoughts?

I will graduate with a degree in the Social Sciences: History from Edison in September. Edison does require the 18 On Station units for a Bachelors so be aware. Most schools are 30 so thats a bargain. If you are navy or army you want to take war and american society as part of the deployment or pace program. 6 credit hours. Cheap and fast are two different stories. The tests are no problem but make sure I cant say having a bachelor of science that u need to take the time to get an arts degree. You might consider a masters in public health or Physician assistant, human resources etc, but I think that info there can be a precursor to your start at edison make sure you arent wasting your time.

All the Best
Cool

[SIZE="2"]TESC-AS: Electronic Systems
TESC-BA: History
Phoenix College-MBA: Masters of Business Administration
Keller Graduate School-MISM: Masters of Information Systems Management
[/SIZE]

"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is; you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."

[SIZE="1"]Cleps/DSST Failed:
Intro to Psychology 45/46, Chemistry 47/50
Cleps/DSST Passed:
Analyzing/Interp Lit 48/47, Intro to Computing 64/47
Business Law 53/50, English Comp w Essay 54/50
College Mathematics 54/50, MIS 445/400
Biology 56/50, Technical Writing 59/46
Sociology 67/50, World Religions 445/400
Intro Middle East 51/47 Environment/Humanity 51/46
Human/GrowDevelop 65/50 Educational Psych 55/50
Ethics 460/400 Vietnam War 64/44
Civil War/Recon 56/47 Western Europe 59/45
US History 1 59/50 US History 2 61/50
Western Civ 2 56/50

ALEKS
Intro to Stats
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra w Trig
PreCalculus[/SIZE]
dave042, will the Army allow tuition assistance to be used towards PhD programs?
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Unfortunately, once you get a masters then they cut you off of TA. I still can take all the CLEP, DSST, and ECEs I want for free. Its not that I need a BA in history now but maybe it will help me later if I go the troops to teach route.

I agree a masters would be more beneficial but my finances are limited.

Sure, I'd be interested in taking war and american society but I don't know about the deployment or pace program. Can you tell me more?
I know you said that finances were limited, but I thought I might point out two reasonably affordable PhD programs from Missississippi State University.

PhD in Community College Leadership
DANTES Online Catalog

PhD in Industrial Engineering
DANTES Online Catalog

Both are $274 a credit hour (which is insane cheap by PhD standards). They have a minimum enrollment of 32 semester hours with the actual school. The rest can be transfered in.

Just a thought.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,754 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,347 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,033 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,990 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  Looking for a school that caps Mil TA at $250 per sem hr for an MBA??? barberakb 6 2,140 09-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  (New to Military) Does the AF pay for grad school if I enter OTS? horsewhiz 1 991 08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  My Degree Path dposborne 7 2,830 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,966 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  From High School to USAF Fighter Pilot cframe 23 3,670 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Vandalet