Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FEMA & FREE College Credit courses
For anyone interested in the TESC Emergency Disaster Services Program, please see this information:

TESC Emergency Disaster Services - Distance Learning Discussion Forums
BMWGuinness Wrote:Most colleges in The College List require some type of attendance/enrollment before credit transfer.

I would guess that the cheapest way to utilize FEMA credit would be to find a college in that list that will accept FEMA courses as college credit without the $60/credit fee (I know Red Rocks charges $15/credit) and does not have course residency requirements.
What credit classification does Excelsior put these into? Applied Professional maybe?
[SIZE="1"]
Excelsior Business Degree finished 6/5/08
Principles Of Management Clep: 72
Principles of Macro-Economics Clep: 58
Business Law Clep: 68
Organizational Behavior ECE: B
Principles Of Accounting Clep : 52
Human Resource Management ECE: C
Ethics ECE: A
Operations Management (Pueblo): A
MIS DSST: A
Info Systems & Computer App Clep: 63
Drug and Alcohol Abuse DSST: A
Principles Of Finance DSST: A
Business Policy TECEP: PASS
Brown-
It goes under Applied Professional for the B.S. at Excelsior.

For TESC they're "free electives".

I have no idea what it is for COSC.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
PatsGirl1 Wrote:For TESC they're "free electives".

Don't forget that they can also count toward the major for Emergency Disaster degrees at TESC. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is utilizing FEMA and USFA toward ANY Bachelor degree program with TESC look into what it would take to additionally complete an Associates in Disaster Services.

For more information, please see http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...ement.html

As always, check with your advisor, but I have put a lot of research into this.
BMWGuinness Wrote:Don't forget that they can also count toward the major for Emergency Disaster degrees at TESC. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is utilizing FEMA and USFA toward ANY Bachelor degree program with TESC look into what it would take to additionally complete an Associates in Disaster Services.

For more information, please see http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...ement.html

As always, check with your advisor, but I have put a lot of research into this.

I understand. I was told I can't do it, because I want to go into Emergency Management eventually, but not right now, and the advisor at TESC told me the Associates was for Emergency Personnel such as EMT, Fire, Police, etc. Reason being, I have no current experience in it. Then again, the advisors aren't that great there either (love the school, not too fond of the people in the office).

But yes, for others it would probably work out perfectly.
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
PatsGirl1 Wrote:I understand. I was told I can't do it, because I want to go into Emergency Management eventually, but not right now, and the advisor at TESC told me the Associates was for Emergency Personnel such as EMT, Fire, Police, etc. Reason being, I have no current experience in it. Then again, the advisors aren't that great there either (love the school, not too fond of the people in the office).

But yes, for others it would probably work out perfectly.

I would speak with:

Donald S. Cucuzzella
Thomas Edison State College
Admissions Counselor
Phone: 609-984-1164 x3055
Fax: 609-984-8447
dcucuzzella@tesc.edu

as he is familiar with the program, and knows how to get in touch with the right people.

take a look at this
https://ssl.tesc.edu/practicum.php

Quote:The BSHS and ASPSS degree programs are designed for mid-career adults currently employed or volunteering in the area of their chosen specialization.

If I were you, I'd ask to get a more detailed definition of the practicum requirements and especially "volunteering" in writing. This might fall in line with past or future volunteer work, as long as it pertains to Public and/or Social Services.
Just finished taking 2 courses in a matter of 3 hours. I really wanted to get a 100 on all the ones I am taking, hence the long time. If I would just want a pass, I'm pretty sure my knowledge would have been suffice. 3 more tomorrow and I should be good. Is the PDS certificate all that it is cracked up to be? I wouldn't mind getting that!
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
larry7crys Wrote:Just finished taking 2 courses in a matter of 3 hours. I really wanted to get a 100 on all the ones I am taking, hence the long time. If I would just want a pass, I'm pretty sure my knowledge would have been suffice. 3 more tomorrow and I should be good. Is the PDS certificate all that it is cracked up to be? I wouldn't mind getting that!

Larry,

My PDS certificate is a little larger and a little nicer than the individual course certificates. My individual certificates look more like a computer generated receipt with perforated edges than an actual certificate. The PDS certificate was printed on a thicker card stock, without perforated edges, a nicer font, and a better logo.

The PDS could seem impressive on a resume in certain circumstances since it consists of a specific grouping of courses and culminates in a certificate. Obviously, the individual courses probably would not serve any purpose if listed on a resume. So the PDS is definitely worth completing.

When I did my FEMA courses (18 of them, just for fun), they didn't even report a score at all. They simply recorded a pass. So I don't know that there is any benefit to getting 100%, nor would you have any way of knowing whether you passed with 100% or not. Do they now report your actual score?

Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:When I did my FEMA courses (18 of them, just for fun), they didn't even report a score at all. They simply recorded a pass. So I don't know that there is any benefit to getting 100%, nor would you have any way of knowing whether you passed with 100% or not. Do they now report your actual score?

Snazzlefrag

I think he is doing it to try and learn as much as possible, instead of short term retainment. I found the information to be quite interesting, as it shed some light on my EOC and FOC experiences since 9/11.

larry7crys
Since I am in IT Security, "Homeland Security" is a great buzz word. I have an interview today at the Space Center, and I'll let you know their reactions when I mention the certificate/experience.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 134 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 1 63 Yesterday, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 1,590 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,161 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,839 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,224 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,229 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,608 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 752 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,971 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM