Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Diploma Mills
#68
I read through all of this, and I guess I have a different point of view than most.

I have always been an autodidact. I love doing new things, and whenever I need to learn something I seek out a way to do so. I have raised my children to do the same, and they are always amazing me with what they have taught themselves.

I have worked with some very educated people... people with masters and PhDs. And, for the most part, I am not impressed. They did traditional schooling, got decent grades, and their diplomas - spent years of their lives and boatloads of money. But, they retained very little and, most importantly, never learned how to learn. I only have completed an AAS in Computer Science and there have been SO MANY times I have had to coach the "IT person" with a BS degree or higher on how to fix something, even things I have never dealt with before. Why? Because I am able to seek out and use information without someone holding my hand or leading me down the path.

I want my children to have at least a bachelors... simply for that piece of paper that will get them in the door. There are indeed some classes they will take that will be pertinent to their future careers that I want them to slow down and absorb as much as they can. But for the most part, it is all just to satisfy degree snobs who are the gate keepers at big companies. I'm not worried about them not knowing something they need to know. They have been raised to solve problems and seek out answers on their own. There are many resources they use that are free and they learn so much from, but they don't "count" for anything. Not to mention that most degrees don't really "line-up" with a specific job. Different companies have different policies and ways of doing things, so on-the-job training is the norm regardless of education or experience.

If I were looking at hiring person A with a traditional degree or person B who worked his butt off and got that same degree in one-fourth of the time, I'd go with person B hands down. I'd much rather have a self-starter & hard worker.

Basically, it all boils down to this:
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." -commonly attributed to Mark Twain
[-] The following 8 users Like mamalbh's post:
  • badooble, cookderosa, mudball, Murdockb, quigongene, ReyMysterioso, StoicJ, teacher2
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-01-2018, 04:59 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by davewill - 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Thorne - 02-01-2018, 11:04 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-04-2018, 01:54 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-01-2018, 06:38 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by homeschoolmom1 - 02-01-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by bjcheung77 - 02-01-2018, 07:54 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Murdockb - 02-01-2018, 09:46 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by RANSOMSOUL - 02-01-2018, 09:39 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by bluebooger - 02-02-2018, 04:06 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by RANSOMSOUL - 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-01-2018, 11:32 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Gloddy - 02-03-2018, 08:54 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Ideas - 02-03-2018, 09:34 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by bluebooger - 02-03-2018, 10:35 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-03-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by HistoryMaker - 02-28-2018, 04:52 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 03-01-2018, 11:34 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-03-2018, 10:44 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by High_Order1 - 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by studiousimp - 02-05-2018, 03:23 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-05-2018, 05:00 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-06-2018, 09:17 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by davewill - 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by originalamyj - 02-06-2018, 01:26 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-06-2018, 02:49 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-06-2018, 03:09 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-06-2018, 03:19 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by clep3705 - 02-06-2018, 03:43 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-06-2018, 03:53 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsh1138 - 02-06-2018, 04:00 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by mudball - 02-06-2018, 04:43 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsh1138 - 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by mudball - 02-06-2018, 06:55 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsh1138 - 02-06-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by High_Order1 - 02-06-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-07-2018, 11:33 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-07-2018, 01:33 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by posabsolute - 02-07-2018, 02:16 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-07-2018, 05:21 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsh1138 - 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Cheeseburrito - 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by bluebooger - 02-09-2018, 05:25 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-09-2018, 05:23 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-09-2018, 05:57 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by jsd - 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by High_Order1 - 02-10-2018, 11:17 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Cheeseburrito - 02-10-2018, 11:58 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Life Long Learning - 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-10-2018, 11:09 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Life Long Learning - 02-10-2018, 11:42 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by DavidHume - 02-11-2018, 12:32 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-11-2018, 02:02 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-11-2018, 12:06 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-11-2018, 01:25 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by Bibby - 02-11-2018, 09:13 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-11-2018, 09:34 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by cookderosa - 02-12-2018, 09:00 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by StoicJ - 02-12-2018, 10:11 AM
RE: Diploma Mills - by clep3705 - 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by mamalbh - 02-15-2018, 11:53 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by ReyMysterioso - 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by sanantone - 02-26-2019, 12:59 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by dfrecore - 02-26-2019, 04:09 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by sanantone - 02-26-2019, 07:43 PM
RE: Diploma Mills - by clep3705 - 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went crazy and bought 5 - Level 7 Diploma's... bjcheung77 17 10,282 04-19-2026, 09:18 AM
Last Post: wow
  Level 5 TEFL Diploma - £120 Kalas 13 4,689 01-06-2026, 02:25 PM
Last Post: CollegeStudentAC
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 3,456 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 9,280 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  XAMK Tourism Diploma rachel83az 22 10,103 05-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Last Post: CollegeStudentAC
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 2 3,384 05-27-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: mdn
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 7,957 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 4,026 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 4,251 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  What are some of the dumbest degree mills have you seen? elcastor21 6 2,972 10-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elcastor21

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)