(01-23-2019, 01:31 AM)davewill Wrote:(01-22-2019, 05:45 PM)Merlin Wrote: ... I'd rather focus on one, finish it, and then move on to the next. If I take one course at a time with 12-week courses, it will take several years to finish since courses are only offered in spring and fall; at two courses per year, it would take five years to finish... which is also not happening. To get it done in two years I'd have to take at least five courses per year spread between the two terms.
...
There's a summer term as well, so you can get the 30 credits done in three years plus one term, doing one course at a time.
Hmm, when I was on the site it said something about only offering classes in spring and fall terms, no summer option. But maybe that was just for starting the program?
Even with 3 terms per year, yeah that is more than 3 years to finish the program, plus however long after that before graduation is confirmed and degrees awarded. That just seems unbearably long, and I'd be miserable the whole time I bet.
Now, if I needed the degree to fill out my resume, then 3 years might be worth it.If I did it, I might need to take a page out of Ideas book and work on another competency-based degree elsewhere at the same time. That would still require task switching, but it would be short term, and I'd at least feel like I was making progress.

Anyway, once Walden, WGU, NAU, or some other college opens up a competency-based masters in CS, this won't be as big of a deal anymore. I have 30 years of hands-on CS experience, so I'm pretty sure I could blow through a CS program pretty quickly given the opportunity to do so.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23
Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)