Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
General UMPI Questions
#1
I've always had my sights on a History degree from TESU, and at the moment that is still the plan, although UMPI is starting to make a bit more sense in light of the 30 RA credit requirement (24 + 6 from TESU).

There are some general questions I'd like to ask:

  1. Can you choose your order of classes or do you have no say in that?   The reason I ask is that I have read that the English courses are easier and less work at UMPI than Sophia, and also that many courses have essays.   So I'd want to have my English courses first just to be sure I'm totally up to speed in that area, which I think makes perfect sense but not sure how the advisor may feel.  Is this something you can work with your advisor to make happen?
  2. I have no real desire to take a science lab, and at this time I have Biology from Sophia, which I think I read doesn't come in to meet the requirements of UMPI.    If you take Biology at UMPI, does that just make the Sophia course a waste of time or does it transfer in as something else?   Is there any better option for a lab credit with only the Sophia course and Straighterline's Environmental Science?  
  3. Foreign language is not something I really want to do, at least not on a timeline at $1400 per term.   I'd choose Spanish over any other option.   I can essentially count to 10 in Spanish and say "I want some Taco Bell".    Big Grin   How difficult is the Spanish at UMPI if you are starting with nearly no knowledge, and are there better options where I can take my time and still bring in the credit?
  4. Do you have to complete a course within a term?   For example if you are in the middle of a course and the term ends, do you just keep going into the next term with it?   Or if you don't finish by the end of the term do you fail?
  5. Can you take terms off if something comes up and then resume your progress toward the degree later, or once you are enrolled do you have to keep paying every term until completion even if something comes up and you cannot focus on schooling for a while? 
I think these are all my questions at the moment and I appreciate all the info that has already been posted here.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
18 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
83 Credits
Reply


Messages In This Thread
General UMPI Questions - by NC Coach - 03-07-2021, 10:42 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by rachel83az - 03-07-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by NC Coach - 03-07-2021, 11:17 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by ss20ts - 03-07-2021, 11:33 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by NC Coach - 03-07-2021, 11:51 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by NC Coach - 03-07-2021, 11:58 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by freeloader - 03-07-2021, 11:45 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by bjcheung77 - 03-07-2021, 11:56 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by dfrecore - 03-07-2021, 08:49 PM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by NC Coach - 03-08-2021, 07:40 PM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by NoStudentNoCry - 03-11-2021, 10:44 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by ss20ts - 03-11-2021, 06:06 PM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by ashkir - 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by Ideas - 03-31-2021, 04:21 AM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by Luiscastaneda25 - 04-02-2021, 10:44 PM
RE: General UMPI Questions - by crotique - 03-31-2021, 07:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI's under review by NECHE?? GoBroncos95 29 2,497 09-27-2026, 06:34 AM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  UMPI Master of Science in Business Jonathan Whatley 102 53,135 09-08-2026, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Easiest Natural Science UMPI Course? LevelUP 5 1,008 09-06-2026, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  UMPI Proposing 90-Credit YourPace BLS and Applied Psychology BA Jonathan Whatley 39 14,664 08-16-2026, 09:07 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI CBE Master’s in Human Services Planned, and MHA Still Happening Jonathan Whatley 8 2,067 08-14-2026, 10:20 AM
Last Post: newdegree
  Credits for DSST exams at UMPI any4yeardegree 7 1,306 08-14-2026, 01:20 AM
Last Post: daydream
  UMPI Your Pace New General Education Requirements Fall 2026 (New Degree Plan) LevelUP 8 3,949 08-13-2026, 07:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI YourPace Fall 2026 majors - clarification request lauramichele1 0 714 08-12-2026, 05:15 PM
Last Post: lauramichele1
  UMPI Article: Rebuilding Trust in Higher Ed Using CBE LevelUP 4 894 07-29-2026, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Swiss Cognac
  Discontinued Minors At UMPI... RIP MIS, BA & Management Swiss Cognac 4 1,421 07-28-2026, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)