06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Librevore Wrote:Hello everyone,
I would like to offer some possible reassurance and encouragement to back2school and others who might share some of the same concerns. For background, I manage a mid-size bookstore and am located about 5 blocks from a well-respected college. This means that whenever I have an opening a fair amount of the applicant pool are either current or recently graduated students.
In years past, I rarely needed to consider whether or not these applicants had basic literacy skills, ie. average high school level reading and spelling ability along with arithmetic skills. I now test for these things as part of the interview process. It is my experience that it is very possible for today's students to obtain a degree simply by having good attendance, turning in their assignments and passing a final which was only 10% to 50% of their grade. It is not necessarily a reflection of their competency.
If an applicant had earned their degree the way so many on this board are doing I would know several important facts about that person that actually would lean in their favor. These students must have a competent level of computer and English skills. They are motivated individuals who are capable of setting a high goal and then acheiving it often with the handicaps of carrying family, career, financial and time demands at the same time. I also know that since they are risking their entire grade on one "final" and without the benefit of an instructer to tell them what to study for it I know that they have studied very hard. Just like you did to pass the tests you mentioned.
So yes, there may be some employers who will not consider a degree earned this way to be "Bush league." But put your mind at ease, there will be plenty who will see the true worth and value.
Kate
A very interesting first post Kate,
Welcome to the board!
My name is Rob
_____________________________________
Exams/Courses Passed (43):
- Courses (4): 1 Excelsior, 1 CSU-Pueblo, 2 Penn Foster.
- Exams (39): 24 DSST, 15 CLEP.
Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
_____________________________________
Exams/Courses Passed (43):
- Courses (4): 1 Excelsior, 1 CSU-Pueblo, 2 Penn Foster.
- Exams (39): 24 DSST, 15 CLEP.
Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]


![[-]](https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/images/collapse.png)