Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BUS421 Capstone OL/GS - Which Professor?
I definitely want to do my best to get an A in this class. I want to pick Guided Study than Online. Does anyone recommend J. Lampan as being a good grader. I read somewhere he doesn't give A's. I am hard on myself too. I prefer GS but if I have to do OL to get an A, I will not mind choosing this. Thanks!

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-GS001 (83155) Business Administration Capsto
Guided Study Courses
J. Lampman

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL009 (83156) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
A. Campo

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL010 (83157) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
B. Courts
I don't think there's a big difference between Online and Guided Study, so I'd go with the best instructor overall.

I didn't have any of those people, so I can't help with that. But I did GS, and I had Himelstein and thought he was very fair, as well as responsive.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-23-2020, 04:33 PM)JC39 Wrote: I definitely want to do my best to get an A in this class. I want to pick Guided Study than Online. Does anyone recommend J. Lampan as being a good grader. I read somewhere he doesn't give A's. I am hard on myself too. I prefer GS but if I have to do OL to get an A, I will not mind choosing this. Thanks!

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-GS001 (83155) Business Administration Capsto
Guided Study Courses
J. Lampman

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL009 (83156) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
A. Campo

December 2020
Open
BUS-421-OL010 (83157) Business Administration Capsto
Online Course
B. Courts

I have him now for Bus 421 that started this month. I have only gotten my first case study graded so far (of 4 papers submitted), I got a 98%. i am pretty sure that is an A.

I think he is good, he made LOTS of posts on what he expects and what he would consider as going above.. Just follow them.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
As I mentioned via private mail, Lampman was my capstone instructor and I found him to be a perfectly acceptable teacher. In the GS and OL versions of the course, the instructor really doesn't do a whole lot other than post up the rules and schedule, add a few comments in the message forum in response to student posts, and grade the papers. They will also answer emailed questions, but that is about it.

As far as grading goes... he's hard but fair. If you do the work, you'll get a good grade. I came out with a high A in his course and 100% plus a special recognition for my final paper. So you can ignore anything you've read about him not giving A's... that is likely sour grapes from someone who didn't put in the work to get a good grade.

It won't matter which version of the course you take since they are almost identical. Personally, I find OL is better since you extra credit towards your final grade by just making a few posts and filling in a few questionnaires for the school. The GS version doesn't require the posts, but you have more assignments and the exam and final project are more heavily weighted in your final grade.

Good luck!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(11-24-2020, 02:04 AM)Merlin Wrote: As I mentioned via private mail, Lampman was my capstone instructor and I found him to be a perfectly acceptable teacher. In the GS and OL versions of the course, the instructor really doesn't do a whole lot other than post up the rules and schedule, add a few comments in the message forum in response to student posts, and grade the papers. They will also answer emailed questions, but that is about it.

As far as grading goes... he's hard but fair. If you do the work, you'll get a good grade. I came out with a high A in his course and 100% plus a special recognition for my final paper. So you can ignore anything you've read about him not giving A's... that is likely sour grapes from someone who didn't put in the work to get a good grade.

It won't matter which version of the course you take since they are almost identical. Personally, I find OL is better since you extra credit towards your final grade by just making a few posts and filling in a few questionnaires for the school. The GS version doesn't require the posts, but you have more assignments and the exam and final project are more heavily weighted in your final grade.

Good luck!

I would have picked OL except they were full and only one spot left in the GS.. the extra papers are the downside for sure.

The written assignments I am doing 1000-1200 words, with at least 10 references/citations.

The case studies use tables and figures and 15 references /citations and the assignments specify how many words are expected. 

His comments to me "Rather than concentrate on page counts, pay more attention to the depth and breadth of your assignment. Limiting yourself to "x" words or "y" pages will place an artificial limiter on your efforts that may impact the overall quality of your assignments. In other words, free free to deliver an assignment with a length that has allowed you to present your very best responses to the assignment. Less is not always more. Besides, I'm happy to read your submissions, regardless of length."

In other words, he is looking for the rubric, but also looking to see if you are examining the subject and trying to do more than just meet the rubric.

For a study.com paper, after the quizzes and exam, I worry about hitting the rubric and getting a CR on my TESU transcript, unless the subject is one I am for whatever reason enjoying writing about. I did enjoy one that ended up being 2000 words too many and I ended up wasting a ton of time shortening it down to where at the end of the day, it met the rubric and a wee biit more.

I have a very "robust" desktop/workstation, with 128 GB ram, 3 screens, 2 Xeons with total 24 physical and 48 logical cores.. While looking up information for my BUS 421 case assignments I managed to have 90 tabs open and Chrome ran into memory issues (not system, just Chrome). The textbook is from 2016 and the assignments have you looking at companies. right now, with Covid, how these companies are doing now is quite different than 2016 and I am writing the papers to answer the questions based on how/what they are doing now, contrasting with how they were doing pre covid and discussing.  It may be overkill, but truthfully, it's actually a really good exercise for anyone that is in business right now, the whole school thing aside. In a weird way, covid is giving us a chance to really write something interesting. I have looked at course hero etc at case studies and written assignments that others have submitted for this course, most of them are pretty much just someone writing to avoid plagiarism and regurgitating the textbook. I assume they passed or wouldn't be bold enough to post them up.

My #1 priority is get a degree, I am not at all inclined to let perfect get in the way of "good enough" with the sophia and SDC classes I took. I started all this May 21st this year with no credits other than 2 UL ethics to transfer in and obviously have somewhat accelerated thru all of this. Most sophia and SDC I got right around an 80%, courses that the information was a bit harder for me I had to slow down and work harder I would get low 90's, and truthfully the effort to get higher than that in my view was counter productive to the progress I wanted time wise.

For SOS 110 and BUS 421, they count for GPA, and truly, they are there to show the university that we as students are capable of demonstrating a college-level academic ability, my take on them is give it a good effort to get the best marks I can. It is harder than sophia and study.com, I want them to be. I could approach them the same as I did sophia and SDC and likely pass them and get a degree, but I want to feel I really did do what I can with them.

YMMV
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 1 user Likes cerich67's post:
  • rachel83az
I'm curious if anyone has the schedule of assignments for GS of the BUS421 capstone.

I wonder how much of a difference it is from the OL one.

On the GS you are still using the online TESU moodle platform?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-24-2020, 10:29 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has the schedule of assignments for GS of the BUS421 capstone.

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

Thanks Degreeforum!
(11-24-2020, 02:04 AM)Merlin Wrote: As I mentioned via private mail, Lampman was my capstone instructor and I found him to be a perfectly acceptable teacher. In the GS and OL versions of the course, the instructor really doesn't do a whole lot other than post up the rules and schedule, add a few comments in the message forum in response to student posts, and grade the papers. They will also answer emailed questions, but that is about it.

Good luck!

I found the "extra" writing to not be really hard, and the weighting of the course was fine - I figured it out, and the difference in my grade would have been .2%.  And you don't have to wait for posts, you can do whatever work you want ahead of time with GS, so that may be an upside during the holidays.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-24-2020, 12:20 PM)cerich67 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:29 AM)LevelUP Wrote: I'm curious if anyone has the schedule of assignments for GS of the BUS421 capstone.

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

OL is:
11 forum posts.  (people generally do 250-500 word count with least 2 citations)
7 case studies (1000 words each)
midterm exam
1 final project

You can get ahead on forum posts but you have to wait till 2 people post to do your replies.
My strategy is to write up the forum posts and case studies ahead of time, then wait to turn them in near the due date.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-24-2020, 12:20 PM)cerich67 Wrote:

Yes to moodle

11 Written assignments
7 case studies
1 final project

I took it 3 years ago, but I only had 5 written assignments in addition to the 7 case studies (so 12 written assignments overall).

My written assignments were 208-287 words with 1 work cited, and I got between 85% and 100% on each one.  So I'm guessing 1000 words with 10 citations is putting way too much effort into something only worth 10% of your grade overall. But that's just me, and I'm lazy.  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,983 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 361 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,326 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,041 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,144 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 878 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 662 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  TESU transfering alt credits after doing capstone or during? CanICode 5 875 03-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone disney_day_dreamer 12 1,975 02-21-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Anyone willing to share their capstone experience/sample? Amberlinjeanne 9 1,657 12-13-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne