Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI - Transfer Credit Report
I've enclosed my transfer credit report I received from UMPI.  Right now, I have 19 more courses to finish. 

For those with experience, any thoughts on other classes to take?  The next start is in March so I have about a month to add a few more classes.  

It is not required that I do a minor in Management if that helps at all.

Attached Files
.pdf   Jenny Transfer.pdf (Size: 130.17 KB / Downloads: 220)
MTAW Certified Municipal Treasurer - Wisconsin 
IAAP Certified Administrative Professional
Administrative Professional Associate Degree - Madison College

Next up: Bachelor's Degree 

[-] The following 1 user Likes BSBRose21's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-27-2021, 02:05 PM)BSBRose21 Wrote: I've enclosed my transfer credit report I received from UMPI.  Right now, I have 19 more courses to finish. 

For those with experience, any thoughts on other classes to take?  The next start is in March so I have about a month to add a few more classes.  

My only advice would be Sophia's Environmental Science but ONLY if you ask for permission from your academic advisor. Any courses you take now, you need permission to take and possibly have them transfer in. They can still be rejected by the Registrar. 

You need to check out those upper level requirements. I would focus on taking the courses at UMPI. There's less work than most other sources. ENG121 Info Lit definitely do not take elsewhere. I started it at Sophia and it was a ton of papers. It's not at UMPI. With the BLS, you are required to complete at least one of the minors. I am completing 3 of the minors. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(01-27-2021, 03:40 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 02:05 PM)BSBRose21 Wrote: I've enclosed my transfer credit report I received from UMPI.  Right now, I have 19 more courses to finish. 

My only advice would be Sophia's Environmental Science but ONLY if you ask for permission from your academic advisor. Any courses you take now, you need permission to take and possibly have them transfer in. They can still be rejected by the Registrar. 

You need to check out those upper level requirements. I would focus on taking the courses at UMPI. There's less work than most other sources. ENG121 Info Lit definitely do not take elsewhere. I started it at Sophia and it was a ton of papers. It's not at UMPI. With the BLS, you are required to complete at least one of the minors. I am completing 3 of the minors. 

Do you really need permission from your academic advisor if you haven't enrolled in courses yet?   For example, if someone has applied, been accepted, sent over transcripts, and received an evaluation on some of those transcripts, but has not yet registered for courses, can they not take more courses elsewhere and send those transcripts over as well before registering for courses at UMPI?
(03-15-2021, 10:39 AM)ConqueringCollege Wrote: Do you really need permission from your academic advisor if you haven't enrolled in courses yet?   For example, if someone has applied, been accepted, sent over transcripts, and received an evaluation on some of those transcripts, but has not yet registered for courses, can they not take more courses elsewhere and send those transcripts over as well before registering for courses at UMPI?

As my understanding from my academic advisor, yes. Once you've been accepted, you're pretty much enrolled that's why. It's always best to check with the school you're applying to what their policies are on courses taken after acceptance. Some schools won't take courses after you've been accepted. Some will give you a hard time. It's easier to know up front. Also keep in mind that every course isn't transferable to UMPI. You also need to complete a required number of UL's in the major at UMPI. A lot of people forget that part and are surprised that they won't take some courses. You also want to make sure you're taking a course that they will accept. They don't accept all courses or all providers. 
(03-15-2021, 11:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 10:39 AM)ConqueringCollege Wrote: Do you really need permission from your academic advisor if you haven't enrolled in courses yet?   For example, if someone has applied, been accepted, sent over transcripts, and received an evaluation on some of those transcripts, but has not yet registered for courses, can they not take more courses elsewhere and send those transcripts over as well before registering for courses at UMPI?

As my understanding from my academic advisor, yes. Once you've been accepted, you're pretty much enrolled that's why. It's always best to check with the school you're applying to what their policies are on courses taken after acceptance. Some schools won't take courses after you've been accepted. Some will give you a hard time. It's easier to know up front. Also keep in mind that every course isn't transferable to UMPI. You also need to complete a required number of UL's in the major at UMPI. A lot of people forget that part and are surprised that they won't take some courses. You also want to make sure you're taking a course that they will accept. They don't accept all courses or all providers. 

That seems strange.  I've never associated being accepted to a college/university with being enrolled.  People often send out applications to many colleges, but they typically only enroll in one (at least only one at a time).  I also haven't associated being accepted as being so closely tied to existing credits.  It has always been more of an either 'accepted' or "not accepted" status.  Then one sends in transcripts to see what the university will accept, which often determines whether a prospective student will choose to attend or not.  Of course, colleges are always at liberty to accept any (or none) of the credits as they see fit.

Yes, I agree that such information would have been really good to know up front!  However, it still seems like an odd policy to me.  Thomas Edison State University, for example, will continue evaluating transcripts up until one registers for courses.  (I understand that they will continue to do so even after one enrolls in courses as well, though that might be unusual).  Of course, many universities seem to be updating their policies nowadays.  I imagine that will continue to occur frequently as the entire educational landscape adapts to the changes of the last year.

Thank you for clarifying the other information.  I completely understand the discretion of colleges to accept or transfer in credits as they see fit.  I also understand the other requirements for UMPI.  I appreciate that they put that information on the website under the different degree plans.

I've heard that some people have been successful in transferring in Spanish 1 from InstantCert to fulfill the Linguistic Skills/Foreign Language requirement (GEC GLO 5C).  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has successfully transferred in the American Government from InstantCert to fulfill the Political Science/Civic Knowledge requirement (GEC GLO 5E)  ... or the Biology with Lab from Study.com to fulfill the Science with lab requirement or "Scientific Inquiry" (GEC GLO 3E).  I read that someone said UMPI prefers the Science with lab from Straighterline, but was not able to get a straightforward answer on the Study.com Biology Lab course.

If you completed the Science with lab, American Government, or Creative Thinking (GEC GLO 2D) courses at UMPI, I'd appreciate hearing about them.  I think I read that American Government is a 1500 word essay.  I'd be curious to know about the difficulty of the Science course and how they do the lab, and what the focus of the Creative Thinking course is and what sort of final assignment each of those courses has.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ConqueringCollege's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-16-2021, 12:45 PM)ConqueringCollege Wrote:

That seems strange.  I've never associated being accepted to a college/university with being enrolled.  People often send out applications to many colleges, but they typically only enroll in one (at least only one at a time).  I also haven't associated being accepted as being so closely tied to existing credits.  It has always been more of an either 'accepted' or "not accepted" status.  Then one sends in transcripts to see what the university will accept, which often determines whether a prospective student will choose to attend or not.  Of course, colleges are always at liberty to accept any (or none) of the credits as they see fit.

Yes, I agree that such information would have been really good to know up front!  However, it still seems like an odd policy to me.  Thomas Edison State University, for example, will continue evaluating transcripts up until one registers for courses.  (I understand that they will continue to do so even after one enrolls in courses as well, though that might be unusual).  Of course, many universities seem to be updating their policies nowadays.  I imagine that will continue to occur frequently as the entire educational landscape adapts to the changes of the last year.

Thank you for clarifying the other information.  I completely understand the discretion of colleges to accept or transfer in credits as they see fit.  I also understand the other requirements for UMPI.  I appreciate that they put that information on the website under the different degree plans.

I've heard that some people have been successful in transferring in Spanish 1 from InstantCert to fulfill the Linguistic Skills/Foreign Language requirement (GEC GLO 5C).  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has successfully transferred in the American Government from InstantCert to fulfill the Political Science/Civic Knowledge requirement (GEC GLO 5E)  ... or the Biology with Lab from Study.com to fulfill the Science with lab requirement or "Scientific Inquiry" (GEC GLO 3E).  I read that someone said UMPI prefers the Science with lab from Straighterline, but was not able to get a straightforward answer on the Study.com Biology Lab course.

If you completed the Science with lab, American Government, or Creative Thinking (GEC GLO 2D) courses at UMPI, I'd appreciate hearing about them.  I think I read that American Government is a 1500 word essay.  I'd be curious to know about the difficulty of the Science course and how they do the lab, and what the focus of the Creative Thinking course is and what sort of final assignment each of those courses has.

TESU is NOTHING like UMPI. That's comparing apples to batteries. Rarely does anyone take more than the Cornerstone and Capstone at TESU. This is not the case at all at UMPI.

One thing to keep in mind is how many credits you transfer in. Spanish 1 and American Government were a piece of cake! Seriously I completed American Government including the final version of the Final Assessment in 3 days. The classes on Study and StraighterLine are going to be a TON more work than at UMPI. Ashkir has attempted them and said don't bother. The Final Assessments vary. They change with professors and change in different terms. They also change when courses are updated. Ashkir and I took several of the same classes in different terms but had a few different Final Assessments. Don't base it on what students took in the past as they do change. I even had a professor change 2 days before the term started which changed the Final Assessment. Because of the academic honor code, we cannot discuss too much about the Final Assessments. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-16-2021, 01:17 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

TESU is NOTHING like UMPI. That's comparing apples to batteries. Rarely does anyone take more than the Cornerstone and Capstone at TESU. This is not the case at all at UMPI.

One thing to keep in mind is how many credits you transfer in. Spanish 1 and American Government were a piece of cake! Seriously I completed American Government including the final version of the Final Assessment in 3 days. The classes on Study and StraighterLine are going to be a TON more work than at UMPI. Ashkir has attempted them and said don't bother. The Final Assessments vary. They change with professors and change in different terms. They also change when courses are updated. Ashkir and I took several of the same classes in different terms but had a few different Final Assessments. Don't base it on what students took in the past as they do change. I even had a professor change 2 days before the term started which changed the Final Assessment. Because of the academic honor code, we cannot discuss too much about the Final Assessments. 

I don't think TESU and UMPI are that different.   TESU and UMPI are both universities geared towards adults providing online courses that have a relatively high limit on ACE or NCCRS credits.  I completely understand how the two universities differ.  Different people take different numbers of courses from a university versus alternative credits for various reasons.   I personally know several people who have taken more than two courses at TESU. I understand that people do not take only two courses at UMPI ... that's simply not allowed per their own policy and that's not the design of their program   I was only mentioning TESU as an example of a university that accepts transcripts for consideration up until such a time that a student enrolls in courses. I could have used a different university as an example.  I thought that such a procedure was common and I have not ever heard of a university considering someone as 'enrolled' as soon as they were accepted, but maybe I'm out of touch.

Thank you for your input on Spanish 1 and American Government.  I understand that UMPI uses real professors and that those change along with the assessments.   I also appreciate and respect you adhering to the honor code -- I wouldn't want or request you to violate that! 

I'm glad that UMPI has seemed to work so well for you and I appreciate you providing so much information to prospective students.  It looks like an excellent option for a great many people. Some prospective students, however, might have more time than money, such that taking more courses elsewhere might be beneficial.  This is especially true for people who are not able to complete the courses as fast as you and Ashkir.   You two seem to be quite capable and knowledgeable to be progressing as quickly as you are.  Smile

I agree - most kids I know apply at MANY schools, and are accepted at some, but don't enroll until they make a decision.  Most people I know as adults going back to school also apply at a few places, and choose the school that they have the most credits accepted at, or make it faster or easier or cheaper to complete a degree.  So a school that accepts your application and then just basically considers you enrolled - that's strange.   Definitely not the norm.  The norm is the STUDENT deciding to enroll, not the other way around.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ConqueringCollege

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 61 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 136 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 121 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 434 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,075 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 520 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 605 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,096 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,383 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  UMPI Psy Degree Help Priszilla 12 940 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM