Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 and 400 level class????
Is there a list of 300 or 400 level classes I can look at. Where can I find it at Excelsior College. The Advisors are very helpful since I haven't enrolled in a class yet.

It says I need 33 hours of Arts and Sciences, 21 of which need to be upper level and I need 33 hours of Applied Professional 3 of which need to be upper level.

I wanted to take most of my classes at the local CC because it's cheaper.

So my questions are what classes are Arts and Sciences (is math, science, history, govt, etc....) Do you know if it's 300 or 400 level by the number of the course?

Is Excelsior liberal on accepting any 300 or 400 level course towards a liberal arts degree?

Thanks, I feel stupid but this is my first rodeo with the online college thing. And I'm old lol.
From what I've read on the forum, it is not likely that EC will accept community college courses toward upper-level credit. Yes, you want to start by looking for courses that are coded as 300 or 400 level. Then you want to get them approved by your advisor as upper-level.

If you are considering credit-by-exam instead, there are several upper-level choices. Be sure to check the Student Guide to Credit by Exam - School Catalogs - excelsior.edu

Here is the DSST list that you can adjust to your needs:

The most inexpensive way I know of to get 30 UL credits for a BS is going to be (by enrolling after July 1, 2010):

6 out of 7 DSST exams in Arts & Sciences – 18 UL –
Civil War
Soviet Union
Money & Banking
Business Ethics & Society
Criminal Justice
Ethics in America
World Religion

1 ALEKS Stats – 3 UL - if wanted instead of 1 DSST from above

1 Capstone course at EC – 3 UL - required, double-check that it will be Arts & Science and not Applied Professional

3 out of 5 DSST exams in Applied Professional – 9 UL – at most or more from above
Management Information Systems
Principles of Finance
Substance Abuse
Business Law II
Here’s to Your Health

There are now some lower-priced ECE's too. You'll need to check on which ones are still UL. Shortened Exams - excelsior.edu

Another link for ECEs - ECE Exams

Arts & Sciences means anything from Humanities, Social Science, History, Natural Science, and Math.

Applied Professional is anything that doesn't fall into the 5 general education categories, which EC calls Arts & Sciences. Usually the section will say "applied professional OR arts & sciences", so that means you can choose anything for it like another school would call free electives. Just pay attention to meeting the MINimum for Arts & Sciences for the degree and not going over the MAXimum for Applied Professional. If you don't want to pick anything in Applied Professional, you can always choose more Arts & Sciences.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thanks so much. That helps alot. Rio Salado College in Arizona is going to give me 30+ hours of college credit for my police academy so that should take up most of the applied professional. I guess I need to focus on my upper level arts and sciences.

So basically I can choose what classes I plan on taking and call an advisor to see if they will be approved. So far they have not be too helpful because I am not enrolled yet.
jayboy Wrote:Thanks so much. That helps alot. Rio Salado College in Arizona is going to give me 30+ hours of college credit for my police academy so that should take up most of the applied professional. I guess I need to focus on my upper level arts and sciences.

So basically I can choose what classes I plan on taking and call an advisor to see if they will be approved. So far they have not be too helpful because I am not enrolled yet.

What's your major? Have you checked out COSC or TESC? I know that the latter at least is very liberal with how credits are accepted.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I'm looking a liberal arts degree at Excelsior but eventually want to get my masters at University of Houston. I'm a criminal justice major really but wanted to get the quickest degree and the lowest cost possible. The CLEP options look appealing. I was not familiar with these options.
jayboy Wrote:I'm looking a liberal arts degree at Excelsior but eventually want to get my masters at University of Houston. I'm a criminal justice major really but wanted to get the quickest degree and the lowest cost possible. The CLEP options look appealing. I was not familiar with these options.

Ok. Try this site for more information and sample degree plans (some are not fully up to date with recent changes so check with school too): Degree Forum Wiki

I'm not familiar with any degree plans put together for the Big 3 on Criminal Justice. I'm sure it could be done by combining CLEP, DSST, ALEKS, ECE, UExcel, Straighterline, Propero, Penn Foster, etc. I just haven't seen it done yet. Now a general liberal arts degree plan? There are plenty of those on these forums.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Excelsior won't take anything from a junior or community college as upper level - even if it has a 300 or 400. For upper level tests try DSST, ECE, TECEP....
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Verify if Excelsior will accept the credits Rio Salado will give you for your police academy training. I'm not sure how Excelsior works, but some colleges would want to evaluate certifications and training themselves and award credit how they see fit. Did you do your training at Rio Salado? I don't know if they have an academy or not.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,590 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,464 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,089 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,082 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,384 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Easy TESU Class...need help omuneek 4 1,489 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Last Post: omuneek
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,415 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Upper Level Credits at Excelsior - via ACE? Silly_Me 27 10,718 05-16-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: scout2family
  TESU - Free Ethics Course/ Upper-Level vs Ethics Requirement Silly_Me 12 3,187 05-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Easy TESU class? sarg123 19 4,629 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa