Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Clep Hater
purpleteen Wrote:I agree with the debt part but I disagree with the last part...I'm finishing my bachelors and masters in 4 years total with only testing out 3 CLEPs...all the rest I'm doing with regular college classes

Johanna, what you are doing is great. Getting both a bachelors and a masters at a B&M school in 4 years is amazing! But that is not the norm. I agree with the previous poster. Although some people can do it in less time, the average time to complete a bachelor degree is 4 years and getting closer to 5. Therefore it is safe to assume that someone with a B&M bachelors spent 4 years in school to get it.

I just realized that I am a squire now! Working my way up!
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
Lol...okay I got it Smile
by the way, what is a B&M school? I'm assuming bachelors and masters in 1 college? I never heard of that? My masters will be in a different school.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
purpleteen Wrote:Lol...okay I got it Smile
by the way, what is a B&M school? I'm assuming bachelors and masters in 1 college? I never heard of that? My masters will be in a different school.
Brick & Mortar. As in, not distance learning (DL)
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
purpleteen Wrote:I agree with the debt (although it doesn't apply to me...so far) part but I disagree with the last part...I'm finishing my bachelors and masters in 4 years total with only testing out 3 CLEPs...all the rest I'm doing with regular college classes

That is really fast for B&M! Would you mind sharing your program? Since so many people here are interested in accelerated programs, it could be helpful.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
jmichelle79 Wrote:Hello All,

I stumbled into another forum. Someone really really hates any testing out. (Except AP, for whatever reason that is fine. :confused: )

She stated that we are cheating because we do not take 16week course. That instacert is cheating because we just take a couple of hours before our tests and memorize the flash cards, (I wish). Then she spoke of how her degree is worth so much more, yadayadayada. And no, she has never taken a CLEP or DSST.

Overall it was a pretty heated thread. I'm not giving her words to much thought, and I will not stop my testing.

I'm still wondering why this person even cares. If she doesn't like it, then do not do it. The passion of her opposition was entertaining at least.

Not sure why you're giving this person your brain space. You don't have to be evangelical, help those who ask otherwise just work on your own goals.

On the issue of hardness, easiness or whatever.....when your degree requires College Math, do you take Calculus 1 just so no one says you're a slacker? Do you read every page of every text? Do you go ahead and buy the "recommended" texts on top of the "required" texts just to be sure you didn't miss something? Do you never miss a lecture? Heck, why not go ahead and take a double major so no one questions your integrity? My point, is that the COLLEGE decides on the credits allowed, so in my opinion, the person taking the "easy way out" is the one who doesn't put in 5% of resourcefulness to look for faster/cheaper/better solutions to a problem. If your college accepts CLEP, you'd be a fool not to take it. I can't think of a single aspect of industry that values either a) spending excessive amounts of money or b) spending excessive amounts of time.

*I wanted to edit and add a little thing that I usually just keep to myself. Self-teaching is a skill. Not everyone has it. Everyone can develop it, and IMO should try to do so to some degree. MANY people, however, need a teacher to talk at them, to interpret their text and to humanize the text. To "decode it" into simple language. While I think teachers should meet the student's needs, I see this as a weakness to be conquered, not something to be desired- especially to be seen as superior to self teaching. I'm bias because I've been a teacher at a community college for 17 years, and the hand-holding is crippling. I don't do it, period. I require that my students use intuition. I require this of my homeschooled children as well. Resourcefulness, intuition, and self-reliance all fit in well with testing- and a person who lacks those abilities will likely not embrace the testing option, or understand the bigger picture because they don't see themselves as having a deficit.
No matter how you take your classes (test out, online, or B&M) YOU have to put forth the effort otherwise you won't pass. Anyway, depending on your degree you can't test out of your core classes or the school requires you to take at least 50% of your major through them and these are the classes employers are looking at. If I'm applying for a job in accounting, I'm pretty sure they could give a rats you know what that I took a biology class!!

Furthermore, majority of what you learn in college you won't ever use anyway! One employer told me that if someone had a degree, it told him that they could learn and were motivated & driven enough to see something from start to finish and understand the job's core concepts in theory, but experience tells him they have the skills.

Anyway, no one can speak on how easy/ hard testing out is if they've never done it themselves. Bottom line, if CLEP/ DSST, etc. weren't relevant...accredited instutions wouldn't accept them. I suppose this person still sends their friends letters and only uses maps because because e-mail and GPS are "too easy" lol!!

Their loss!!
DSST
Technical Writing - 60
Here’s To Your Health - 435
Principles of Supervision - 441
Introduction to Computing - 463
Human Resource Management - 67
Personal Finance - 460
Organizational Behavior - 69
Ethics in America - 447
Principles of Statistics - 424!!
Introduction to Business - 443
Astronomy - 59

CLEP
Principles of Management - 64
Principles of Marketing - 65
Principles of Macroeconomics - 55
Principles of Microeconomics - 60
most of my degree is from a B&M university, so I have taken a bunch of courses. One course was set up like this 10% for HW, 40% midterm and 50% final. Basically that is 2 tests that you could just study for and pass sounds kinda like testing out.
TESC BSBA: CIS graduate Sept. 2011
cookderosa Wrote:Not sure why you're giving this person your brain space. You don't have to be evangelical, help those who ask otherwise just work on your own goals.

*I wanted to edit and add a little thing that I usually just keep to myself. Self-teaching is a skill. Not everyone has it. Everyone can develop it, and IMO should try to do so to some degree. MANY people, however, need a teacher to talk at them, to interpret their text and to humanize the text. To "decode it" into simple language. While I think teachers should meet the student's needs, I see this as a weakness to be conquered, not something to be desired- especially to be seen as superior to self teaching. I'm bias because I've been a teacher at a community college for 17 years, and the hand-holding is crippling. I don't do it, period. I require that my students use intuition. I require this of my homeschooled children as well. Resourcefulness, intuition, and self-reliance all fit in well with testing- and a person who lacks those abilities will likely not embrace the testing option, or understand the bigger picture because they don't see themselves as having a deficit.

Well put, and yes I have had that thought too. Self-learning isn't bad when you're just memorizing and then regurgitating info, but it can be daunting for totally new topics, for me this meant Microecon, Finance, & Money & Banking. Teaching yourself how to calculate beta is not something everyone can do! Wink
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I got luv for muh haters...

I think that was P Diddy or some other rapper Smile
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Help

Just signed up today...never taken a test or used Instantcert...don't know how this works. Does the flash cards reflect the test? or is the test the typical multipal choice answers?

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,598 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,890 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,570 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,324 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Imagine if he had known about CLEP..... rebel100 18 2,321 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 965 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  CLEP or DSST? Publius 12 1,565 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  How do you know about CLEP? sgloer 79 13,226 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Last Post: submissiongrappler
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,132 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  FYI for PMPs - CLEP/DSSTs that count as Cert PDUs lwmcc 1 1,066 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Last Post: julianclmb1