Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of a Dilemma ..and MBA at the Big 3
sanantone Wrote:I'm trying to understand why you would consider switching to TESU or Excelsior from University of Mount Olive. I believe they're more expensive. TESU is pursuing ACBSP accreditation, but doesn't have it yet. Excelsior has IACBE which no one cares about. As far as I know, both of those schools will require all transcripts.

Sheer curiosity about graduate studies at the Big 3 is all Smile
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
mednat Wrote:First, it would be worthwhile to save up and pay your balance at these schools before continuing onward. Limiting your choices to schools that don't require all transcripts is very tough as most schools want all. Is there a rush to get your MBA? If not, why not pay off the amounts owed first then apply at the program of your choosing?

As to the programmatic accreditation. I don't think it matters much in the business world. If you want to teach, or go on to PHD studies (at schools with programmatic accreditation) then it definitely matters. For the business world, local name recognition is worth more than programmatic accreditation (assuming the school has a positive reputation).

As for choosing the big 3 for MBA studies, my question would be why? They offer no significant advantage. There are programs that are cheaper, with programmatic accreditation and with better name recognition. For undergrad, the big 3 is an obvious choice, for graduate -- i don't see any appeal in choosing from these schools.

There is no REAL rush other than the deadline in my head. I wanted to be enrolled in a one year program because I am soooo over school LOL
This MBA will open more doors for me. I enjoy my current position but I feel I am as high as I can go in this organization. I just got married and hubby is still pursuing his undergrad at a local community college. In a way I am planning finishing school so that I can focus more on moving up the corporate ladder, starting my own family and encouraging my husband to continue his pursuit of higher education.

I'm all over the place...but with good reasons Smile
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
futuremrsmlb Wrote:There is no REAL rush other than the deadline in my head. I wanted to be enrolled in a one year program because I am soooo over school LOL
This MBA will open more doors for me. I enjoy my current position but I feel I am as high as I can go in this organization. I just got married and hubby is still pursuing his undergrad at a local community college. In a way I am planning finishing school so that I can focus more on moving up the corporate ladder, starting my own family and encouraging my husband to continue his pursuit of higher education.

I'm all over the place...but with good reasons Smile

I agree with the rest of the posters. Nothing wrong with the program you chose. If teaching at the collegiate level is something you're sure you wouldn't want to do -- I wouldn't worry about programmatic accreditation at all. I chose WGU for similar reasons. Mount Olive sounds like a better choice for your situation (name recognition, transcript situation, cheap/fast). I think you made a solid choice. Good luck!
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Im in healthcare, so maybe what you do is different. Note that I work for a pretty big regional outfit, we aren't some po dunk outlier. Here are some truths I've found:

You gotta have a Master's to rise to and above directors level.

Nobody much cares what the Masters is in.

I've NEVER been asked by a potential employer or promotion panel where I went to school.

Most of the schools I see are either the big state schools.....or they are little schools even I've never heard of (like Mount Olive).

Programmatic accreditation....roflmao, lol, hahaha, I might be the only person in my 10,000 member organization that could articulate what that even is. Unless you plan to teach or enter a field where that's a known commodity then stop even looking...and if you are entering such a group be sure you're picking the right accredited. 99% of people will be served just fine by almost any regionally accredited program.

Faster is better as you want to be the candidate who is ready for the next opportunity. "I have my MBA" trump's "I'm working on my MBA" most of the time.

Don't be afraid to tell folks you went back while working. I've found that folks respect this, they know their reality. They know how hard their own masters was to obtain and you look tough and capable when they see you accomplished what they did while working full time.

I would prefer a school who aggressively markets it's graduates over almost any other criteria ( though speed and cost can Trump this). I want a vibrant networking community, school spirit, and job opportunities. This is the one glaring deficiency at WGU.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
futuremrsmlb Wrote:It not that it is a problem. For example, I have a balance at WIU and AIU (online schools) due to withdrawing so they won't release transcripts.

At my employer, you're getting a full blown credit check for finance and upper management positions. I think your employment prospects will be hurt quite a bit if you don't take care of those balances.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:At my employer, you're getting a full blown credit check for finance and upper management positions. I think your employment prospects will be hurt quite a bit if you don't take care of those balances.

I agree. I think having outstanding balances could have a negative impact on you in the future. Especially if they report it on your credit, and your credit score plummets, this could be a huge problem for you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I agree. I think having outstanding balances could have a negative impact on you in the future. Especially if they report it on your credit, and your credit score plummets, this could be a huge problem for you.

Can I be honest and say these accounts are not on my credit report. It has been a good solid 10 years. I was fresh out of high school and online classes were all the rave. I was so no ready for the commitment. No credits were earned at these two schools and it has not caused any harm until now while I am trying to gain admissions at certain state schools.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
rebel100 Wrote:Im in healthcare, so maybe what you do is different. Note that I work for a pretty big regional outfit, we aren't some po dunk outlier. Here are some truths I've found:

You gotta have a Master's to rise to and above directors level.

Nobody much cares what the Masters is in.

I've NEVER been asked by a potential employer or promotion panel where I went to school.

Most of the schools I see are either the big state schools.....or they are little schools even I've never heard of (like Mount Olive).

Programmatic accreditation....roflmao, lol, hahaha, I might be the only person in my 10,000 member organization that could articulate what that even is. Unless you plan to teach or enter a field where that's a known commodity then stop even looking...and if you are entering such a group be sure you're picking the right accredited. 99% of people will be served just fine by almost any regionally accredited program.

Faster is better as you want to be the candidate who is ready for the next opportunity. "I have my MBA" trump's "I'm working on my MBA" most of the time.

Don't be afraid to tell folks you went back while working. I've found that folks respect this, they know their reality. They know how hard their own masters was to obtain and you look tough and capable when they see you accomplished what they did while working full time.

I would prefer a school who aggressively markets it's graduates over almost any other criteria ( though speed and cost can Trump this). I want a vibrant networking community, school spirit, and job opportunities. This is the one glaring deficiency at WGU.

This is the sort of information I was seeking! This really put it in perspective for me. Thanks☺
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Can I be honest and say these accounts are not on my credit report. It has been a good solid 10 years. I was fresh out of high school and online classes were all the rave. I was so no ready for the commitment. No credits were earned at these two schools and it has not caused any harm until now while I am trying to gain admissions at certain state schools.

If I were in your shoes, I would never pay them (paying any amount including full payment resets the clock and will make it show up as a baddie on your credit report for 7 years) and I'd forget to list those two schools even if I got the equivalent of a failing grade, especially if they're doing you a favor by withholding transcripts. I would not limit myself to schools that don't require all transcripts, especially if that will help me save money.

You have a different moral compass and my idea isn't risk free. So you have to make your own decision.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
rebel100 Wrote:I would prefer a school who aggressively markets it's graduates over almost any other criteria ( though speed and cost can Trump this). I want a vibrant networking community, school spirit, and job opportunities.

Spot on!

What you learn in the MBA classes is helpful, but the true value in an MBA is the recruitment and the network! I would get a quick/cheap Master's in Basket Weaving before I pursued an MBA without these attributes. I've only been in my program (online at that) for a few months, and I have already built a strong network with hard charging go-getters. Previously, my network was mostly filled with Federal employees, who are generally comfortable just collecting a paycheck.

And to add to Trailrunner's comment. I know I'm going to catch heat on here for this, but if you are seeking a higher rated program, apply without those transcripts. Although most of this can be viewed on student clearninghouse, believe me, most don't check.

Another note, if you received student loans for those schools, your new school's FA department can see them as its part of a required federal database. If they decide to let the admission department know is up to them, but I doubt it.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.