Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of a Dilemma ..and MBA at the Big 3
Exfactor Wrote:I don't see what the big deal is. On many credit forums like MyFICO which is owned by Fair Isaac Corporation, they advise on their own forum not to pay a debt to reset the clock. Like why would you? If something was on your credit report for 7 years, why would you pay it, only for it to be on your credit longer? Which ultimately can prevent you from buying a home, purchasing a car ect. Plus most debt is sold to junk debt buyers; where no record of the actual debts actually exist on their end; where most can't even prove you actually owe a debt. Check out the recent judgement on Midland Credit Management where they were forced to stop collecting on debts worth millions of dollars due to a lack of paper trail on their end.

That is why you send a debt validation letter and ask for documentation. That is what I did when I paid off a debt collector that had my WIU account. IIRC, I settled for a smaller amount than was owed and got the settlement offer in writing. Included in the settlement was the removal of the account from my credit reports. Five or six years later, there is still nothing on my credit reports about the WIU debt.

If you make a partial payment, it will make the account current. If you default on the account that is now current, then you reset the clock.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Just be honest and say that you have no issue with being unethical and teaching others how to be unethical.
Of course, there are bad things that can come with doing the right thing, but it's normal and expected for people to pay for their mistakes.

Why do you stay silent when we openly and frequently discuss a C-F keystroke for passing a class without reading the book or using the wolf on math? I'd like to believe nobody uses the wolf when getting 12 math credits in a month, but that's as naive as believing that the OP didn't get a failing grade at the two schools for not withdrawing in a timely manner. C-F without studying is legal, but what is the student actually learning? Please don't say that the student is learning something, because I wasn't born yesterday.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
sanantone Wrote:That is why you send a debt validation letter and ask for documentation. That is what I did when I paid off a debt collector that had my WIU account. IIRC, I settled for a smaller amount than was owed and got the settlement offer in writing. Included in the settlement was the removal of the account from my credit reports. Five or six years later, there is still nothing on my credit reports about the WIU debt.

If you make a partial payment, it will make the account current. If you default on the account that is now current, then you reset the clock.

The OP doesn't have the collection agency on his/her report. So OP has a lot more to lose than you did. It's a very different situation.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:Why do you stay silent when we openly and frequently discuss a C-F keystroke for passing a class without reading the book or using the wolf on math? I'd like to believe nobody uses the wolf when getting 12 math credits in a month, but that's as naive as believing that the OP didn't get a failing grade at the two schools for not withdrawing in a timely manner. C-F without studying is legal, but what is the student actually learning? Please don't say that the student is learning something, because I wasn't born yesterday.

Using an e-book is not a rule violation. Straighterline's quizzes and mid-terms are open book. I don't even know what the wolf on math is.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
TrailRunr Wrote:Why do you stay silent when we openly and frequently discuss a C-F keystroke for passing a class without reading the book or using the wolf on math? I'd like to believe nobody uses the wolf when getting 12 math credits in a month, but that's as naive as believing that the OP didn't get a failing grade at the two schools for not withdrawing in a timely manner. C-F without studying is legal, but what is the student actually learning? Please don't say that the student is learning something, because I wasn't born yesterday.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the C-F or wolf - but I do agree that there are very limited cases where people can pass a class without doing the material; maybe those folks who have been doing the job for a decade or two and are just checking a box for career advancement, but I suspect that is a small number overall
Regarding my comment, I was under the impression that the OP didn't have an actual transcript from either school since he/she didn't end up finishing any classes there. I was not advocating lying, just omitting something that didn't actually exist. I guess I'm not really certain on how the who transcript thing works, so I shouldn't have been commenting on that part.

As for letting sleeping dogs lie, I was thinking more along the lines of having old debt that is no longer collectible, but if you contacted the school and they still had that debt on the books, that they would probably start harassing the OP for money, even if it was illegal to do so. This I'm more familiar with.

Also, no idea what the wolf is either. Never heard of that one. If it's in regards to ALEKS math, and people cheating, I'm not sure why anyone would assume that it's impossible to take all 4 math courses there in a month. I took HS math through precalc with all A's, I could have passed the 3 algebra-related courses in a single assessment each. It's not like this is an impossibility.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Errrrrrr...ummmm
I never intended to cause such an uproar

I was simply seeking advice about my situation. Ultimately I have found quite a few institutions that only require the degree granting institution's official transcript (Top picks UoM and Regents University). I also found one or two that require all previous colleges to be listed on the application but you choose if you want the transcripts sent in for evaluations. With this, I think I have made the BEST decision given my options.
*Just to note the grades on the transcripts are "W". I was able to get unofficial copies yesterday to confirm this. The (low) balances are not tuition related and I have disputed owing since I left these "institutions" of higher learning. I graduated HS in 2003 and tried both AIU and WIU in 2004 and 2005 after leaving my local CC.
I have just chalked it up to a lesson learned and have since moved on. :p

I really appreciate all of the feedback and a special thanks to rebel100 - !! for putting this whole thing in perspective for me.
On to more pressing matters...................:leaving:
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
sanantone Wrote:Using an e-book is not a rule violation. Straighterline's quizzes and mid-terms are open book. I don't even know what the wolf on math is.

I think they are referring to Wolfram/alpha a math calculator.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
sanantone Wrote:... It's unethical because one could be taking the spot of a student who was more deserving and didn't lie.

You had me until this comment. What makes the other student more deserving? What makes a legacy with C grades who gets into Harvard because their parents went there deserving? We live in a delusional world were we believe some sort of meritocracy exists. Yet we all advocate building networks, which works exactly in the opposite fashion of merit, but who you know.

To not submit the transcripts is risky and it is dishonest, but I won't sit here and think for a minute that colleges recruit based on merit.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:You had me until this comment. What makes the other student more deserving? What makes a legacy with C grades who gets into Harvard because their parents went there deserving? We live in a delusional world were we believe some sort of meritocracy exists. Yet we all advocate building networks, which works exactly in the opposite fashion of merit, but who you know.

To not submit the transcripts is risky and it is dishonest, but I won't sit here and think for a minute that colleges recruit based on merit.

Let's not get ridiculous. The OP is not trying to get into Harvard or any other school that admits a lot of legacy applicants. Most students who are admitted to competitive programs are admitted based on merit. Legacy applicants don't even make up the majority of graduate students. You're trying to rationalize a negative behavior by trying to pretend there are no victims or by saying "others do it too." This is a criminal thinking error we teach at our correctional facility. It is preposterous to believe that there aren't thousands of graduate students who were admitted by merit. If you take the place of one by lying, then you've done something wrong.

I had no connections to Txstate, which had a 50% acceptance rate for my program. Most of my classmates had no connection to the university. There are thousands of students like us. The fact that even a handful of people agree with that argument is beyond belief.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P