Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit of a Dilemma ..and MBA at the Big 3
TrailRunr Wrote:If I were in your shoes, I would never pay them (paying any amount including full payment resets the clock and will make it show up as a baddie on your credit report for 7 years) and I'd forget to list those two schools even if I got the equivalent of a failing grade, especially if they're doing you a favor by withholding transcripts. I would not limit myself to schools that don't require all transcripts, especially if that will help me save money.

You have a different moral compass and my idea isn't risk free. So you have to make your own decision.

I'm not saying what I would or wouldn't do, but I agree with TrailRunr's assessment. Wink
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Can I be honest and say these accounts are not on my credit report. It has been a good solid 10 years. I was fresh out of high school and online classes were all the rave. I was so no ready for the commitment. No credits were earned at these two schools and it has not caused any harm until now while I am trying to gain admissions at certain state schools.

Well, I will have to change my assessment. If it's been 10 years, then I certainly would let sleeping dogs lie, and ignore them completely. I think you might even be able to say that you don't have transcripts at these schools, since you have no credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(deleted) 8910
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
People are promoting lying and not paying your debts on a public forum that's supposed to have credibility. What's a good smiley for that? :eek: or banghead or Sad

WIU did report my balance to the credit bureaus. I paid them back, not because I was worried about my credit, but because I wanted my transcript and didn't want to risk having my degree revoked if my college found out that I lied on the application.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The reporting period is only 7 years for a collection account, unless you have a judgement or something then its longer. If it's not on your credit report you have nothing to worry about as it has most likely passed the reporting period. However, you will have to worry about the debt being sold to collections agencies and them contacting you to pay the debt which they can do forever; however, after 7 years its against the law to report on your credit report.

Also when you have a bad debt, and you make a payment on it during that time such resets the clock, and you start the 7 years over. Therefore, I agree with @TrailRunr, but you appear to be past the 7 year mark.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Exfactor Wrote:The reporting period is only 7 years for a collection account, unless you have a judgement or something then its longer. If it's not on your credit report you have nothing to worry about as it has most likely passed the reporting period. However, you will have to worry about the debt being sold to collections agencies and them contacting you to pay the debt which they can do forever; however, after 7 years its against the law to report on your credit report.

Also when you have a bad debt, and you make a payment on it during that time such resets the clock, and you start the 7 years over. Therefore, I agree with @TrailRunr, but you appear to be past the 7 year mark.

+1, if it hasn't bit you in the butt over the last decade, I don't see it ever biting you...
If the schools ask about it, tell them straight up what happened and there are no credits.
Essentially, it's what you have now,( and the previous 60 credits, for GPA), that matter most.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:+1, if it hasn't bit you in the butt over the last decade, I don't see it ever biting you...
If the schools ask about it, tell them straight up what happened and there are no credits.
Essentially, it's what you have now,( and the previous 60 credits, for GPA), that matter most.

No credits earned is not the same as not having a GPA at those schools. If the graduate school finds out, it may or may not be sympathetic to the situation. If the OP owes a lot of money, then I assume that there were failing grades recorded on the transcript because there wasn't a withdrawal within the refund period. Regardless, a lot of people on this forum are promoting dishonesty to gain admission into a decent MBA program. It's unethical because one could be taking the spot of a student who was more deserving and didn't lie. Encouraging academic dishonesty on a distance education forum is mind-boggling.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:No credits earned is not the same as not having a GPA at those schools. If the graduate school finds out, it may or may not be sympathetic to the situation. If the OP owes a lot of money, then I assume that there were failing grades recorded on the transcript because there wasn't a withdrawal within the refund period. Regardless, a lot of people on this forum are promoting dishonesty to gain admission into a decent MBA program. It's unethical because one could be taking the spot of a student who was more deserving and didn't lie.

I'm not the OP's mother, and neither are you. OP has to make up his/her own mind and be aware that every single option has bad stuff with it, including your option.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
TrailRunr Wrote:I'm not the OP's mother, and neither are you. OP has to make up his/her own mind and be aware that every single option has bad stuff with it, including your option.

That's not my point. The point is that you and others are encouraging unethical behaviors and rule violations. It doesn't make sense to tell someone they can do something wrong and turn around and say, "But, I'm not your mother." Why bring it up in the first place? "You can cheat on this exam by going to this website, but I'm not your mother." "You can steal from this store by doing this or that, but I'm not your mother." It makes no sense. Just be honest and say that you have no issue with being unethical and teaching others how to be unethical. Some of the people who think that the OP should omit schools attended are the same ones who have berated people for trying to cheat in a course or on a test.

Of course, there are bad things that can come with doing the right thing, but it's normal and expected for people to pay for their mistakes.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I don't see what the big deal is. On many credit forums like MyFICO which is owned by Fair Isaac Corporation, they advise on their own forum not to pay a debt to reset the clock. Like why would you? If something was on your credit report for 7 years, why would you pay it, only for it to be on your credit longer? Which ultimately can prevent you from buying a home, purchasing a car ect. Plus most debt is sold to junk debt buyers; where no record of the actual debts actually exist on their end; where most can't even prove you actually owe a debt. Check out the recent judgement on Midland Credit Management where they were forced to stop collecting on debts worth millions of dollars due to a lack of paper trail on their end.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville