Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little help understanding TESC
Im going for the BSAST in Nuclear Technology, have applied to TESC before, and received an academic evaluation. They credited me 102 out of 120 credits (previous navy nuke and UT Austin classes) and they say I have a tech writing, general chem, stats, programming, nuclear instrumentation and english left over.

I have not taken the plunge and paid the $2800+ for the year tuition because Ive had a difficult time finding (or getting) info on how the courses all work. I found this site today and see it as a blessing to be able to speak with some ppl with TESC experience.

I see you all talking about not taking courses and just CLEPing out of everything. Is that the best and quickest option? What can I expect one I pay the year tuition, and what should I be prepared for? Really just looking for some solid advice from people who have more experience with online schooling and TESC then I have.

Thanks in advance!
You have found TESC heaven my friend!
First, thank you for your service.

You are almost there! Ok if you have your eval, don't worry about the 2800 bucks right this second. Just start taking your tests and online courses and send the results to TESC. When you are ready to graduate, then pay the 2800 plus the graduation fee and you are good to go.

Stats - you have DSST as an option, Online College Courses - Distance Learning Courses - StraighterLine, or ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math
Tech writing is a DSST test or a TESC TECEP test
Programming - is that computer programming? If so then can you pick any language? If so then I would consider Penn Foster Career School | Self-Paced, Distance Education Programs for their C# programming class. Search for it on the forum. Penn Foster is 300 dollars per class and is at your own pace.
English - you have CLEP or straighterline.com for that
Nuke class - no idea maybe someone will know
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
thanks for the prompt reply!

ok by DSST, you mean the Dantes Subject Standardized Test? What kind of time table do I have with those/how to prep for the exam?

edit: also, my 6 months from paying the $75 has lapsed, due to my questioning their process. is this a problem, or will it just cause me to pay another 75 upon completing my courses and submitting for graduation?
If your six months has passed you will need to pay another $75 and request a new evaluation. On July 1 they usually post any changes to degree requirements so after that you will get an update on the requirements you need. If you think you could finish in under 18 months (Very possible with what you need) then you request your new eval. now, then wait almost 6 months to enroll and have 12 months after that to finish.

DSST (Yes Dantes) Tech Writing has one of the highest pass rates and is not hard to prepare for. If you check out Free Clep Prep.com and the specific exam section of IC (Instantcert) you could have this done in a couple of weeks, have the results sent to TESC and they will keep it on file for 6 months before you enroll.

Thank You for your service and Welcome to the forum.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:If your six months has passed you will need to pay another $75 and request a new evaluation. On July 1 they usually post any changes to degree requirements so after that you will get an update on the requirements you need. If you think you could finish in under 18 months (Very possible with what you need) then you request your new eval. now, then wait almost 6 months to enroll and have 12 months after that to finish.

thanks for the link!

so i got to work this morning and found my degree eval from 2010. from that time i officially needed:

English Composition ENC-102
Humanities - Complete Technical Report Writing
Statistics
General Chemistry
Nuclear Instrumentation and Control
Computer Programming
(doesnt say anything specific on the eval)

from what Ryoder posted it seems as tho I can DSST some of those (didnt see any comments about the chemistry one). So would the best bet be to try to study for those DSST tests, then resubmit my $75 for the current degree eval and activate my 6 months, try to straighterline the other couple courses (how does straighterline work?), then submit my tuition before the 6 months is up and take the nuclear class @ TESC and complete the degree?

does that sound feasable with working a full time job and having a family?
Chemistry is a clep test you can take. Straighterline.com is simple. Just go sign up for a mnthly subscription for 100 dollars. Then you pay 39 a class. You can buy your books used on amazon.com. Go deck out the site. I am currently enrolled in anatomy and have taken accounting and business comm there. Read this forum and find the post that links to a breakdown of sources of.credit for.tesc. All the info is here so start reading and using the search. You can finish in six months. I was at seventy credits in octoberand finished all of my requirements by february and I have a full time job but no kids.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
English comp can be taken as a CLEP or as a Straighterline course, again different people prefer different methods. EDIT: This is also available as a TECEP exam.

The DSST Technical Writing should meet that requirement

Statistics again you have a choice DSST, Straighterline or ALEKS course and of course TESC course. Both Straighterline and ALEKS are self paced

Chemistry could be Straighterline or CLEP

The Nuc. Ins. & Control is a TESC course that can be done on line or as a PLA if you know the stuff. PLA's are supposed to take 12 weeks, but they can be faster.

Computer Programming is tough, I would call the Advising hotline and ask for a clarification on that.

This could easily be done in 6 months I did my final 29 credits for my BA in 5 months while working and taking care of family. It was a little overwhelming at times but I made a schedule and kept to it.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Let me throw something out there too, which might be part of the confusion. $2800 isn't tuition. TESC doesn't start your classes when you pay that fee, that's an enrollment fee. That fee allows YOU to start accumulating credit on your official transcript.

So, you can do it any number of ways (which is why people here love TESC).

You can bring in your own credits already earned (which you have many of)
You can test out using CLEP, DSST, etc.
You can take any ACE evaluated course (ALEKS, Straighterline,etc.)
You can take classes locally at your college
You can take classes at TESC.

So, how you meet your degree requirements is 100% up to you, just as long as you meet them.
To take the TECEP exam do I need to have payed the 2800 enrollment first?
No, but TECEP exams cost less if you are an enrolled student.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,634 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Am I understanding this correctly about Shmoop and TESU? Sparrowhawk 39 7,333 05-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,874 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,448 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,194 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,985 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,347 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need help understanding TESU application process EGnEC 14 2,720 11-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,765 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,743 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone