Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ALEKS to CCAF
Good question! Basically, I wanted an answer to the original question. I'd planned on knocking out my Undergrad through TESC and had already completed Stats, Intermediate & College Algebra through ALEKS prior to the original poster making this thread. In between DSSTs, I came across this thread and due to the question being unanswered, I did my research to get an answer to the original poster and anyone who came along in the future with a definite, no B.S. answer. Of course, not everyone is going to be able to knock out the SL course in 1-2 days and if you don't pass, you're out of $100 versus the $20 at ALEKS. Ergo, ALEKS price tag makes it a more attractive option and might have been a motivating factor for the OP to make this thread. In the end, SL -> (University which is accepted by CCAF) -> CCAF is the route to take for your degree. I think this thread is done. Smile Lock Please?
cookderosa Wrote:A follow up question, was there a reason to not try SL-->CCAF first before running through FHSU? Just curious.

CCAF is kind of similar to the Big 3 in that it is kind of an "assessment" college. It doesn't have classes itself. It awards credit for an AAS degree program specific to your particular Air Force career fields based on a combination of tech school, leadership schools, and civilian gen ed courses. It is rather highly regarded in the education community and strictly monitors Air Force courses for quality to maintain its good standing. SL is not an approved source, probably at least partly due to SACS accreditation requirements.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:CCAF is kind of similar to the Big 3 in that it is kind of an "assessment" college. It doesn't have classes itself. It awards credit for an AAS degree program specific to your particular Air Force career fields based on a combination of tech school, leadership schools, and civilian gen ed courses. It is rather highly regarded in the education community and strictly monitors Air Force courses for quality to maintain its good standing. SL is not an approved source, probably at least partly due to SACS accreditation requirements.

Ahhhhhh I see. Thanks dcan.
Ok, so it sounds to me that if you take the SL Course the only way to get the CCAF credit is to have your college/university, in my case AMU, accept the grade, then use the transcript from that school to receive the CCAF credit. Does that about sum it up?
ldub72 Wrote:Ok, so it sounds to me that if you take the SL Course the only way to get the CCAF credit is to have your college/university, in my case AMU, accept the grade, then use the transcript from that school to receive the CCAF credit. Does that about sum it up?

Yes; however, this method might not work for you through AMU. There have been several changes to colleges policies on accepting and transferring SL credit. There are a few topics on the forums that cover this change, but to sum it up-- regardless if AMU accepts the course and you have them submit a transcript to CCAF, the chances are high that it will only show up as transfer credit from SL. SL isn't accepted at the CCAF directly and this will leave you with a wasted $100+. I'd recommend for you to use ALEKS and IC to prepare yourself for the 6 credit College Math CLEP (free for the first attempt for military at the education center) or just taking a Math Class at AMU or your respective institution ( for anyone reading this down the line ). I know it's terrible and disheartening, but I thought it best to submit an update for both you and the future forum-lurkers. Shoto, if you're reading this, please lock this thread to prevent any future necromancies. Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best options to finish my CCAF bthompson1638 8 10,197 08-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  CCAF is Ridiculous Sagan 3 3,122 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,864 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  HELP! Need CCAF in 19weeks blakedrinnen 4 2,822 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,260 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Sagan
  Picking college for IT after finishing CCAF riderofdirt 5 4,782 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
  Suggested Cleps to Finish my CCAF. Nerdymcnerdface 2 4,227 09-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Finished CCAF jethomasjr 9 3,740 09-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Last Post: jethomasjr
  CCAF vs JST rockbust 6 3,286 08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Last Post: dcan
  BYU Public Speaking and CCAF rcsaint 5 2,020 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Last Post: gingerbeefE