Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ANY CLEP testing sites open ANYWHERE?
The 3rd paragraph says it was a thousand miles in each direction & that the entire family went.

Study.com would have charged him $410 for the same 5 courses. This didn't save the family any money even if you just look at it purely as a time expense. 2,000 miles at say 70mph the entire way is 29 hours of driving. If both parents make $10 an hour at their jobs, that's $580 they missed out on, just driving. Not any other part of the trip, just driving. So you're instantly in the hole before you pay for anything else.

Once you throw in food, gas, wear and tear on the vehicle, what you could have been doing with that time instead, etc, it really really didn't save them any money.

I really like the idea that the entire family was eating saltines the whole time and that you can always buy a car, use it heavily, and then turn around and sell it for the same money that you bought it for though. That's funny.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

He only took 5 CLEP exams after all that? He could have taken far more credits at Sophia for just $79. Much less than the family spent on the trip.
That's what I'm saying. Why would you drive for a week to take 5 Clep tests. It's ridiculous
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

Stevens Point to Bozeman is 1200 one way, 2400 round trip. And since this was when everything was shut down, the reason why the parent(s) were able to go is likely because there was no job for them to even go to at that time. I'm not saying it was the best option available to anyone but if all you know about and all your school accepts are CLEP exams then that's not bad. It's quite possible that those 5 exams were the only ones his uni accepted that he hadn't already taken as actual classes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I like how many things we're willing to invent to make this trip make sense for them. They'll be able to get full value back for the van and also they didn't eat ANY fast food on the way and also they probably weren't working either.

Why not just say they went on vacation and the kid took some tests while they were on vacation. That would make more sense than pretending they got a good deal by driving 2400 miles to "save" money

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • ss20ts
You really think they would have made the trip if it had cost more than tuition to go there and back? Yeah, right...
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
It's interesting hearing his story even if I wouldn't have done that. He was already enrolled at a specific college that doesn't take sophia or SDC (if I'm seeing part of their website correctly) but does take up to 32 credits in CLEP. And, two of the exams he took count at 300 level at that school in his major. He withdrew at start of pandemic as a sophomore. gets to re enroll and found a way to get enough credits to be a junior (now that's the real story.. not the cost, and all of that, but the school worked with him). and got to have a fun family vacation while doing so.

Glad the family had fun on the trip and that he was able to re enrolled with junior status at his school.I'm not quite sure I follow modern state's reason that he got a year's worth of credit. But it's still a fun story. Not something I would have done. but still fun to read.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • rachel83az
I wouldn't do it either! The closest publicly-open CLEP center to me normally is 700-800 miles one way. I can't imagine going that far just to take a few CLEP tests. I suppose I would if that were the only way to finish my degree, I might. I'm glad TESU has other options besides CLEP, though.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(10-17-2020, 09:45 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I like how many things we're willing to invent to make this trip make sense for them. They'll be able to get full value back for the van and also they didn't eat ANY fast food on the way and also they probably weren't working either.

Why not just say they went on vacation and the kid took some tests while they were on vacation. That would make more sense than pretending they got a good deal by driving 2400 miles to "save" money

I think it was a family vacation and he took the tests as part of the vacation. The family mentioned that they went camping during this trip. it's still silly though because for $79 - which cost much less than the trip - he could have taken several more courses through Sophia. Even Study.com is significantly cheaper.
(10-17-2020, 04:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I think it was a family vacation and he took the tests as part of the vacation. The family mentioned that they went camping during this trip. it's still silly though because for $79 - which cost much less than the trip - he could have taken several more courses through Sophia. Even Study.com is significantly cheaper.

Agreeing with you that it was a family trip and tests were done as part of that. and a fun marketing spin to enjoy for modern states. However, saying this again....
While those options mentioned are cheaper compared to the trip, his college does not accept sophia or SDC ( at least according to one part that a search engine pulled up for me).   And 2 of the cleps are 300 level in his major at his specific college. He wasn't going to a Big 3 or WGU.  Taking the clep exams got him to junior year status after not having second semester sophomore due to pandemic issues.   He is back at the state university of his choice.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 3 171 3 hours ago
Last Post: cannoda
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 100 Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 122 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 267 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 208 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 531 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 892 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 570 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 733 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 466 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill