Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP vs CLEP
Which type of exam is easier, the CLEP or AP? For subjects like history and econs?
My impression was that CLEP exams are easier. Do you know if AP exams can be taken without taking the class?
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Yes, a student may take an AP exam without enrolling in an AP course. This is to allow home-schooled and independent study students the opportunity to take the exams. The student can arrange to take the exams at a participating school. However, since AP exams are only administered once a year in May, you have to contact an AP coordinator soon to take a test this year. In fact, the time to schedule may have already passed.

AP exams are harder in my opinion. Most CLEPs are exclusively multiple-choice. An AP exam will consist partly of multiple-choice and part short answer. For example, the biology AP exam consists of an 80-minute, 100 question multiple-choice section, a 10 minute reading period, and a 90-minute four question free-response section. Total of 3 hours, twice as long as the all multiple-choice biology CLEP.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
SimonTam is right, the main problem with the AP exams is where and when you can take them. I tried to take them but could not find anybody to talk to about it. I left messages with every AP exam coordinator in my school districts and some outside it, and nobody would even return my calls :mad: .

The other problem I see with it is that I am 34 years old and from my experience taking the ACT test at my local high school about 2 years ago, I know sitting in with teenagers and getting the weird looks and stares is no fun whatsoever (I did end up with a 28 for my complete ACT (with a 32 in English) so I guess I probably did better than 90% of them, but I only found that out later). At the time sitting there was just really intimidating and I would not like to do that again. Just my 2cts! Big Grin

Christa
BS Business - Excelsior College Summa Cum Laude
Started with 25 credits in March 2006. Tested out with CLEP, Dantes and Tecep.
OK. I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not our study approach would be well suited to AP exams. Probably check out a Barron's or Peterson's guide for one of the easier APs...
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
SimonTam Wrote:Yes, a student may take an AP exam without enrolling in an AP course. This is to allow home-schooled and independent study students the opportunity to take the exams. The student can arrange to take the exams at a participating school. However, since AP exams are only administered once a year in May, you have to contact an AP coordinator soon to take a test this year. In fact, the time to schedule may have already passed.

AP exams are harder in my opinion. Most CLEPs are exclusively multiple-choice. An AP exam will consist partly of multiple-choice and part short answer. For example, the biology AP exam consists of an 80-minute, 100 question multiple-choice section, a 10 minute reading period, and a 90-minute four question free-response section. Total of 3 hours, twice as long as the all multiple-choice biology CLEP.

I believe adults cant take the AP exam ..Not sure on it ....But Educational Testing Service use to have a private office where you can schedule for ACTs and other High School tests from what i remember when i was in college in my 20s...
ChristaKB Wrote:SimonTam is right, the main problem with the AP exams is where and when you can take them. I tried to take them but could not find anybody to talk to about it. I left messages with every AP exam coordinator in my school districts and some outside it, and nobody would even return my calls :mad: .

The other problem I see with it is that I am 34 years old and from my experience taking the ACT test at my local high school about 2 years ago, I know sitting in with teenagers and getting the weird looks and stares is no fun whatsoever (I did end up with a 28 for my complete ACT (with a 32 in English) so I guess I probably did better than 90% of them, but I only found that out later). At the time sitting there was just really intimidating and I would not like to do that again. Just my 2cts! Big Grin

Christa

some schools dont accept CLEP or DANTES exam and have their own faculty sponsered tests ....Otherwise , a majority of them accept AP exams...

If you can pass a good number of those AP exams depending on your expertise of study; you can get 45 credit hours as much as a CLEP or a DANTE....

look at the Univ of Chicago .....they only accept the AP exams ...and its an expensive university .....If you pass those exams ; you save yourself alot of money with a big name school ...
go to keystone national high school online .... and register for their AP Online course ...which costs like 209 or 279 dollars...

when you score well...you can register for the exam through this school and take it down there ....

you would have to take 2 weeks off and fly to pennsylvannia ...

so investing the money for the programs wouldnt pay off in the long run ... it just would make more sense to take the cleps, dantes , or some community college course...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  “Can I Make An Entire College Degree Out Of CLEP Credits?” jmeitrem 9 2,575 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is there a time limit when completing your clep test? Clarebugg 12 3,855 12-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Last Post: desireelws50
  Organizing my CLEP stuff jmeitrem 7 1,548 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: alzee
  Harvard Extension accepts ACE and CLEP rebel100 7 2,292 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Imagine if he had known about CLEP..... rebel100 18 2,242 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Missing CLEP tests ryoder 4 952 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  CLEP or DSST? Publius 12 1,544 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  How do you know about CLEP? sgloer 79 13,078 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Last Post: submissiongrappler
  I'm giving a speech today about CLEP Bibby 3 1,120 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Bibby
  A Clep Hater jmichelle79 37 4,171 05-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Prloko