Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ASNSM in CS vs. AAS in Applied Computer Studies
I looked under my OSS also and it only shows 16 cr needed in CS. Somehow I still find this hard to believe, but it would be ideal.
My son most likely will not be getting a BS in CS from TESU. He is working on a BS in software development from Hodges. He will be able to get an associate in IT there along the way, but has no interest in IT.
The objective of the associate in CS at TESU is to get an advantage when looking for an internship that is not IT, but more of CS or software development.

Also, the ASNSM for CS requires 8 cr in "Natural World". Can he use 3 - 3cr classes, or does it require 2 - 4cr classes(with labs)?

He may eventually go for a user-designed Bachelors at TESU for web/VR/graphics type things. Since I found this forum he has racked up a boatload of ACE credit that would apply for General and elective credits at TESU.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Mudball, are you in FL? How or why did you/your son decide on Hodges vs another school? How young is your son? Is he attending the local community colleges to get most of his Credits? Have you looked up the requirements for internships?

For the ASNSM CS, I highly recommend butt in seat classes at a community college vs Saylor, SL, Study.com as the student gets more learning done vs testing.

For the natural world requirements, it should be two science courses and corresponding labs, you can email advising to see if 3 science courses without labs can be used in place of those labs.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
We live in Ohio. My son just turned 17. He was homeschooled. He has been programming for years and spent the majority of high school taking MOOC's thorough EDX. I had him test out of all the gen ed and elective classes but wanted more in-depth classes for the AOS classes. But I also wanted him to be able to progress faster with the classes that he has more knowledge in. I agree that he is at a disadvantage with not having a physically present teacher for some of the technical classes, we have struggled with this issue for a while. We do not qualify for financial aid and can't afford B&M schools, and don't believe in debt. The B&M classes are also way too slow for him. We live in a very rural area, all the colleges are very far away, so it wouldn't be productive to drive that far even if he had a car. All those things played a role in our choice of Hodges.
As for the internships, he is competing with older applicants so we are trying to find a way to set him apart. That is why we are looking at the quick associate in CS at TESU. He has most of the classes already. Yes, we know the requirements for the internships and he has applied for many with no callbacks yet. The majority of the applications were with NASA (aiming high) and all were out of state, summer internships.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
If I transferred everything in for this degree and have the Study.com affiliation, what would TESU charge me for the ASNSM in CS?
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Adding my 2 cents, Applied computer studies does not mean much to anyone, especially not recruiters. Computer Science is well recognized.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(01-12-2018, 11:58 AM)quigongene Wrote: If I transferred everything in for this degree and have the Study.com affiliation, what would TESU charge me for the ASNSM in CS?

$1800 for the residency waiver and $323 for the graduation fee. You need to know that if you get the associate's from TESU first, it will make you ineligible for the Pierpont AAS and if you get the AAS first you have to follow the TESU rules for a second associate's degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • StoicJ
(01-12-2018, 12:42 PM)davewill Wrote: $1800 for the residency waiver and $323 for the graduation fee. You need to know that if you get the associate's from TESU first, it will make you ineligible for the Pierpont AAS and if you get the AAS first you have to follow the TESU rules for a second associate's degree.

Waiting on conferral date with Pierpont (my grad request has been submitted by Ms. Parks). The 12 credits required after that date won't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the info :-)
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)

(01-12-2018, 12:42 PM)davewill Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 11:58 AM)quigongene Wrote: If I transferred everything in for this degree and have the Study.com affiliation, what would TESU charge me for the ASNSM in CS?

$1800 for the residency waiver and $323 for the graduation fee. You need to know that if you get the associate's from TESU first, it will make you ineligible for the Pierpont AAS and if you get the AAS first you have to follow the TESU rules for a second associate's degree.

I finished my AAS from Pierpont and was conferred in August of 2017.  My AOE was Information Technology.

Since then, I started working on my BALS and have forged ahead.  I now have over 113 credits towards my BACS.  I will certainly finish it this year.  While I was poking around in OSS, I was performing some Academic Evaluations, and realized that I had completely satisifed the requirements for the ASNSM in Computer Science at TESU.  I have met the requirements for a second Associate's at TESU.  I am paying my residency waiver and grad fee and moving ahead with applying for graduation.  

I was very exicted to find out about the ASNSM in Computer Science.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 1 user Likes ChilliDawg's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I think I'm screwed for the TESU ASNSM CS b/c the WV BOG doesn't confer until May 2018...I'd have to wrap up 12 credits after that (which wouldn't be a huge deal), but also beat the clock as far as the June 30th Study.com affiliation. I'm mainly only looking at it to knock a few classes off of the WGU bachelors that I could likely cakewalk through anyway. I don't think it's worth the money.

(01-16-2018, 08:42 PM)quigongene Wrote: I think I'm screwed for the TESU ASNSM CS b/c the WV BOG doesn't confer until May 2018...I'd have to wrap up 12 credits after that (which wouldn't be a huge deal), but also beat the clock as far as the June 30th Study.com affiliation.  I'm mainly only looking at it to knock a few classes off of the WGU bachelors that I could likely cakewalk through anyway.  I don't think it's worth the money.

What is the June 30th Study.Com deadline?
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,057 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,055 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,342 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 559 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 1,937 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 779 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,197 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill