Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accrediting Council for Independent College and Schools
Education Dept. staff recommends dropping embattled for-profit college accreditor backed by DeVos (msn.com)
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Interesting
BABA, New England College, 2019
They've been an issue for years. She knew it and was probably in someone's pocket. Aren't all politicians in someone's pocket? Schools with these weird accreditations are best to stay away from in general. There's a reason why schools you're heard of and state university systems are so popular.
(01-23-2021, 12:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They've been an issue for years. She knew it and was probably in someone's pocket. Aren't all politicians in someone's pocket? Schools with these weird accreditations are best to stay away from in general. There's a reason why schools you're heard of and state university systems are so popular.
(1) Yes - they have indeed been an issue for years - and were suspended from accrediting schools before DeVos resuscitated them - likely at her then-boss, Donald Trump's, suggestion - not for money. She doesn't need that.

(2) She was probably in someone's pocket, you say? Why would she ever do that? From Wiki:
"In 2016, the (DeVos) family was listed by Forbes as the 88th-richest in America, with an estimated net worth of $5.4 billion."

(3)"Aren't all politicians in someone's pocket?" Rhetorical question. My answer: No, not necessarily. Certainly not any that YOU voted for.  Rolleyes

(4)"Schools with these weird accreditations are best to stay away from in general." My take: Schools with ACICS accreditation- yes, I'd stay away. ACICS is problematic. But weird?  It's still USDoE recognized as a National Accreditor through the Master's level. - till further notice, I guess... that makes it "non-weird," at least for now. Unless perhaps you think all NA (non-RA) accreditors are weird. (Some do - I don't.) Interestingly, ACICS dropped its application for CHEA recognition on Jan 17th 2020. I think they realized what the outcome would be. Face-saving. 
(01-25-2021, 02:52 AM)Johann Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 12:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They've been an issue for years. She knew it and was probably in someone's pocket. Aren't all politicians in someone's pocket? Schools with these weird accreditations are best to stay away from in general. There's a reason why schools you're heard of and state university systems are so popular.

(2) She was probably in someone's pocket, you say? Why would she ever do that? From Wiki:
"In 2016, the (DeVos) family was listed by Forbes as the 88th-richest in America, with an estimated net worth of $5.4 billion."

(3)"Aren't all politicians in someone's pocket?" Rhetorical question. My answer: No, not necessarily. Certainly not any that YOU voted for.  Rolleyes
If you want to get really pedantic about it, she wasn’t in the pocket of for-profit education. Rather, for-profit education IS HER POCKET. Sec DeVos and her family have (or at least had at the time of her confirmation) millions of their dollars invested in for-profit colleges and universities, including investments in schools/school holding companies with ACICS accreditation. This really isn’t a “fox guarding the hen house” situation. It’s more like the farmer putting the chickens in the fox’s den for safe keeping. 

Reference:

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/...tsy-devos/
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 4 users Like freeloader's post:
  • CatsDomino, Johann, monchevy, ss20ts
My take is that the US Dept of Education (The Swamp) simply dislikes private education, none of their cabal having been a product of the system. Accreditation is a process of following the rules that should provide a quality of education. It not a measure of the quality of education. Athletes can still graduate from Ivy League schools and remain functionally illiterate. ACICS is likely within acceptable quality limits. The Swamp is back in town. Enjoy it - good and hard.
(01-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Old Guy Wrote: My take is that the US Dept of Education (The Swamp) simply dislikes private education, none of their cabal having been a product of the system.  Accreditation is a process of following the rules that should provide a quality of education.  It not a measure of the quality of education.  Athletes can still graduate from Ivy League schools and remain functionally illiterate.  ACICS is likely within acceptable quality limits.  The Swamp is back in town.  Enjoy it - good and hard.

They dislike private education like Harvard or Stanford?  None of those people went to private schools? I highly doubt that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-25-2021, 04:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 01:39 PM)Old Guy Wrote: My take is that the US Dept of Education (The Swamp) simply dislikes private education, none of their cabal having been a product of the system.  Accreditation is a process of following the rules that should provide a quality of education.  It not a measure of the quality of education.  Athletes can still graduate from Ivy League schools and remain functionally illiterate.  ACICS is likely within acceptable quality limits.  The Swamp is back in town.  Enjoy it - good and hard.

They dislike private education like Harvard or Stanford?  None of those people went to private schools? I highly doubt that.

Shall I say private-for-profit universities?  I suspect you knew what I was referring to.
(01-25-2021, 02:52 AM)Johann Wrote: ...(1) Yes - they have indeed been an issue for years - and were suspended from accrediting schools before DeVos resuscitated them - likely at her then-boss, Donald Trump's, suggestion - not for money. She doesn't need that...
I certainly have no information on this specific subject but I will say that the logic employed here runs contrary to my life experience.  What I mean, specifically, is that the idea that a rich person won't do something in order to make easy money is simply not true.  My experience has been that rich people will frequently do all sorts of things, some of them immoral, some illegal, etc., just to increase their wealth.  In fact, it seems to be the exact thing that they are most interested in doing.  Clearly this does not apply to all rich people but just as clearly it very much applies to others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • ss20ts
My experience with rich people and I used to work for a few is their scrupulous honesty.  One time I made a comment to a real estate developer who was buying gas at a gas station he owned, "They make you pay?"  He said he always made sure everything looked legal.

The trillion dollar charity industry is funded by rich people giving their money away.  Are there dishonest rich people? Sure.  Are there many?  No.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,214 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,569 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 455 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 250 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 516 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 746 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 213 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 251 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP