Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Credit Project closing down
Some of you may be familiar with the Alternative Credit Project (ACP) it was essentially a written articulation agreement between colleges and ACE. It was noteworthy because some colleges that didn't really take ACE credit would allow ACE credit it if was on your ACE transcript as ACP.
(example: you take a course through Straighterline and send it to ACE as a SL course, but submit it as second time as an ACP course- one course, entered twice- and then would be accepted by some schools *like Fayetteville State University here in NC* that would otherwise not accept SL courses- so, cool benefit if you knew about it)

Anyway, their grant money is coming to a close and the APC relationship is listed as expiring 3/31/2018. I sent them a message a bit ago asking about any future extensions, and here is what they had to say:

"Hi Jennifer,

Yes, you're correct that the active grant project is coming to an end on March 31st; however, any courses that were completed during the active credit recommendation period are still transferrable to the institutions. We are in the process of asking each participating school to update thwe language on their landing page to reflect courses they will continue to accept. Similarly, we will ask them to share that information with us so we can update the website to reflect the current course listing and acceptance by institutions.

I am also working with my colleagues in our credit recommendation unit to extend the expiration dates while the prociders prepare for re-reviews of their courses.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any more questions."

So, sadly, that's a no. For a while, a handful of Saylor Academy courses had direct credit ONLY via ACP and they did tell me that they were going to obtain ACE /NCCRS evaluation independently. It's worth double checking dates though, just to be sure.
Really sorry to see this go. Thanks for posting.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

For the Big 3 there's no real loss, at least. But it a bummer for those folks that may attend places that aren't as keen on ACE
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • slmartin
Thank you for the heads up.

I don't know if I should rush and try to complete Calc II. I don't really have time for that, but I always hate to pass up a credit!

This is too bad (even for the Big 3) Saylor offered the cheapest of all credits; a large % of their credit courses where through this program.  Here is the link of courses https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses - if it in in the ACE only column and starts with the prefix of ACPE it is part of this expiring program  

Time to study up and test out on these! We've got one month to earn credits for less than $10 per credit - I know there are people out there up for the challenge! In other words if you need the credit and know the subject - now if the time.  Hopefully Saylor will look to add the ACPE courses under their own approval group
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • slmartin
Saylor has many courses independently evaluated, I don't see why they wouldn't have these renewed as well, independent of the ACP?

edit: i just re-read what Jennifer said and they're already preparing for that. So again, doesn't seem like much of an issue for Big 3 purposes.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • slmartin
Oh, I didn't think about Saylor. Thanks for the heads up, allvia. Thankfully a lot of those ACPE Saylor credits are also available at Shmoop or through Modern States, but it's too bad. I might try to take at least one that's expiring.

Edit: This post was an error.  My previous post stands.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Ideas
(02-28-2018, 05:48 PM)allvia Wrote: This is too bad (even for the Big 3) Saylor offered the cheapest of all credits; a large % of their credit courses where through this program.  Here is the link of courses https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses - if it in in the ACE only column and starts with the prefix of ACPE it is part of this expiring program  

Time to study up and test out on these! We've got one month to earn credits for less than $10 per credit - I know there are people out there up for the challenge! In other words if you need the credit and know the subject - now if the time.  Hopefully Saylor will look to add the ACPE courses under their own approval group

All of the ACP courses were also ACE-recommended, and probably will continue to be so.  This is NOT saying anything about ACE, so nobody should be panicking!  ACP is separate from ACE, but really it's own little world within ACE.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • slmartin
(02-28-2018, 07:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 05:48 PM)allvia Wrote: This is too bad (even for the Big 3) Saylor offered the cheapest of all credits; a large % of their credit courses where through this program.  Here is the link of courses https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses - if it in in the ACE only column and starts with the prefix of ACPE it is part of this expiring program  

All of the ACP courses were also ACE-recommended, and probably will continue to be so.  This is NOT saying anything about ACE, so nobody should be panicking!  ACP is separate from ACE, but really it's own little world within ACE.

Right - this was more about the target colleges. When ACP received their grant, there was a financial incentive of some kind given to participating programs (like Saylor, Straighterline, etc) as well as colleges. Unlike Straighterline, Saylor is a non-profit, so I would imagine that the reason they initially had mostly ACP courses is because it is EXPENSIVE to obtain ACE credit independently. I have spoken to the director at Saylor many times who has repeatedly told me providing college credit isn't their primary objective- but he has also said they were seeking ACE eval for the courses that will fall through the credit gap once ACP is closed down.

The big 3 weren't part of ACP, but there WERE several colleges that signed up who otherwise don't "accept ACE" as a rule. I have one parent in my Ohio homeschooling group that has a son heading to a target school and is very upset- so really it's like anything... it's a great program if it does what you need it to do - and it certainly did allow non-traditional credit a guaranteed slot on a transcript at traditional colleges. We strongly considered a different (ACP) school for my high school student and ended up changing our mind (thankfully) because that would have been a kick in the teeth. All 3 of my son's transcripts have ACP credit, but it looks like they won't need it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,500 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,927 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 689 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 481 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,418 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 528 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  2D Cad/Technical Drawing Credit Eligible Courses flamewerks 0 331 10-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Last Post: flamewerks