Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amberton University
(05-17-2022, 10:30 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I’m with Suzy.  The less writing the the better!  That’s why I chose a less “popular” school with this forum.  Hopefully it works out for everyone.  Big Grin

Which school did you choose? I really don't like writing essays either. I like the research but find I just spend WAY too much time trying to make the essay "perfect" that I end up wasting a lot of time. I much prefer to just write an exam so am trying to find the best fit for me and am worried UMPI might be too much writing.
  • Degree in Progress: BA in Psychology and/or History (in planning)
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
[-] The following 1 user Likes StudiousTraveller's post:
  • Vle045
(05-17-2022, 10:20 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 10:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote: There's a lot of writing at Amberton. Very few exams. I had 3 classes this session. Here's my coursework:

Class 1:
5 papers including a graduate research paper
1 quiz
6 discussions

Class 2:
10 discussion researched and cited posts with 2 researched and cited responses
1 research paper
1 midterm exam
1 final exam

Class 3:
5 discussion posts
16 papers

Every student has to take class 3 which there are 2 versions of - religious and non-religious. 10 of those papers were 2 pages long but you had to write 2 or 4 in 1 week. It's a very writing intensive course.
You are going for the MBA?  I’m expecting to do writing but I will also be choosing courses that are more exam heavy or discussion questions. 

How different have the discussions been for grad vs undergrad?

Yes, I'm completing an MBA. You can look at the syllabus for each course. Most don't have exams. I haven't seen any classes with tests. A couple have an exam but there are always papers. The discussions vary drastically by class and professor. 

I can't say how the under discussions compare to the grad at Amberton. I didn't attend Amberton as an undergrad. I didn't have discussions at UMPI. Grad school is well known for a great deal of writing. Many grad courses at Amberton only have written assignments. No tests of any kind. You'll see that in the various course syllabi. Two of my courses were a cakewalk compared to others I've looked at. The class with the high number of papers was for the ethics course that everyone has to take. There's no escaping the ethics course. The religious focused one has fewer assignments but it's centered around religion. If that works for you then you won't have all of the assignments I had to do. I have a 4.0 this session so it wasn't extremely difficult work. An A at Amberton is 92-100. They don't use + or -. B is 82-91. 

I'm much happier here than I was at Charleston Southern. I'm registered for my summer classes. I'm looking forward to my summer classes. I like that there's a lot of freedom in which classes you can take for the MBA. I already have my fall classes picked out too.  

WGU might be better for someone who wants less writing. WGU doesn't have the variety of business degrees that Amberton has though. They don't have the different focuses for the MBA's either.
(05-18-2022, 12:13 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 10:30 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I’m with Suzy.  The less writing the the better!  That’s why I chose a less “popular” school with this forum.  Hopefully it works out for everyone.  Big Grin

Which school did you choose? I really don't like writing essays either. I like the research but find I just spend WAY too much time trying to make the essay "perfect" that I end up wasting a lot of time. I much prefer to just write an exam so am trying to find the best fit for me and am worried UMPI might be too much writing.

I chose JWMI which is just MBAs.  I tend to procrastinate with papers and can struggle to make them long enough.  I like to get to the point.  In college, I would have to go back and add fluff words to my sentences to try to make them longer.  I hated that.  There were times I could still only stretch out to 7 pages when they asked for 10.   We didn’t have “rubrics” back then.  Most of the time, I would go see the professor and talk to them about it and it was usually fine.  My content was solid and answered the question/topic.   When I talked to the advisor at JWMI about it, she said that the papers tend to be a bit shorter.  Maybe 5 pages.  And they lean more toward business style writing.  When I see people post about writing 20+ pages, I want to run the other way.   The advisor is also a graduate of the program, so she has first hand experience.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-19-2022, 06:29 AM)Vle045 Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 12:13 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote:

I chose JWMI which is just MBAs.  I tend to procrastinate with papers and can struggle to make them long enough.  I like to get to the point.  In college, I would have to go back and add fluff words to my sentences to try to make them longer.  I hated that.  There were times I could still only stretch out to 7 pages when they asked for 10.   We didn’t have “rubrics” back then.  Most of the time, I would go see the professor and talk to them about it and it was usually fine.  My content was solid and answered the question/topic.   When I talked to the advisor at JWMI about it, she said that the papers tend to be a bit shorter.  Maybe 5 pages.  And they lean more toward business style writing.  When I see people post about writing 20+ pages, I want to run the other way.   The advisor is also a graduate of the program, so she has first hand experience.
Ah that does sound much better. I guess that school wouldn't be an option for me though as I'm not looking for an MBA. I need to keep researching the best fit for me.
  • Degree in Progress: BA in Psychology and/or History (in planning)
  • Complete: University of New Brunswick (Canada)  |  BSc Marine Biology (Grad 1998)
(05-19-2022, 12:20 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: Ah that does sound much better. I guess that school wouldn't be an option for me though as I'm not looking for an MBA. I need to keep researching the best fit for me.
I’m not doing an MBA but rather the MS in Human Relations and Business and am aiming for 2 grad certs which you can acquire with that program. 

You can look at the syllabuses of the classes prior to committing to them to see which professor is a better fit for you. 

One of the requirements is a Research class and I got to choose from 2 professors. One class was only 5 assignments but the amount of writing in the end was approx 50 pages (my advisor confirmed) and the other was 11 assignments but they were a mix of discussion questions (15%), 2 exams (worth 50% of grade), a journal article (10%)  and a Literature Review Project (worth 25%).

Hope that helps!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • Vle045
50 pages! OMG! That would be the end of me.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

(05-19-2022, 12:47 PM)Vle045 Wrote: 50 pages!  OMG!  That would be the end of me.

I originally signed up for that one and changed it real quick!!!!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 2 users Like suzycupcake's post:
  • rachel83az, Vle045
(05-19-2022, 12:35 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 12:20 PM)StudiousTraveller Wrote: Ah that does sound much better. I guess that school wouldn't be an option for me though as I'm not looking for an MBA. I need to keep researching the best fit for me.
I’m not doing an MBA but rather the MS in Human Relations and Business and am aiming for 2 grad certs which you can acquire with that program. 
Hey, cool!

I was 100% decided that I was going to do exactly this, then the very day I was getting my application started, the HAU deal was shared here and I couldn't resist. How's the program been for you? Judging by the course names and descriptions, Amberton looks to have some interesting and useful interdisciplinary courses that I was looking for to taking before I changed paths.

There's still, and probably always will be, a part of me that wonders if I would have been happier if followed through with the MSHSB. But that's probably just me wallowing in my pathological FOMO  Blush
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

(05-19-2022, 05:02 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 12:35 PM)suzycupcake Wrote:
Hey, cool!

I was 100% decided that I was going to do exactly this, then the very day I was getting my application started, the HAU deal was shared here and I couldn't resist. How's the program been for you? Judging by the course names and descriptions, Amberton looks to have some interesting and useful interdisciplinary courses that I was looking for to taking before I changed paths.

There's still, and probably always will be, a part of me that wonders if I would have been happier if followed through with the MSHSB. But that's probably just me wallowing in my pathological FOMO  Blush

How far are you in to HAU?  Can you eventually do both?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(05-19-2022, 12:47 PM)Vle045 Wrote: 50 pages!  OMG!  That would be the end of me.

That's over 10 weeks. Not 1 paper.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 113 16,993 04-25-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 361 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 783 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 2,091 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,297 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 548 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,540 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 411 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,814 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 716 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger