Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another CCAF thread about alternative credits
Some background before I start.  I am in in Air Guard, but deployed to Afghan right now as a DoD civilian.  Since the Air Guard will pay for CLEP/DSST exams I figured I was going to take a bunch while out here and knock out my CCAF and start making progress on a Bachelor's degree.  Turns out there is no proctor here for CLEP/DSST anymore.  They pulled the UMUC proctor out in 2016 and are looking to bring another out in the future, but not this year.  I only need Speech and one Humanities class to complete my CCAF.  This leaves me with my current dilemma...

I have seen in the past that people have used non-CLEP/DSST courses that were ACE-approved to transfer them to TESU or the like, and CCAF accepted them.  I know that CCAF will not accept the SL or study.com(or similar) credit directly, but will they accept any of the forms of alternate credit if they are on TESU's official transcripts? 

Now, I called CCAF the other day and asked if there is any possibility that they'd accept TESU's TECEP exams as transferable credit, and the lady gave me an answer that just confused the crap out of me.  Basically it was a maybe, but I wouldn't know until I tried.  I don't want to waste my time or money though.  If anyone has had luck with CCAF and TECEPs that would be great news.  I can do English Comp II instead of Speech, and one of the Humanities TECEPs and be done with it IF they accepted the TECEPs.

If I absolutely can't use an alternative to taking a regular class, then I can have my organization pay tuition for classes, but there are timelines and restrictions(least preferred method).  I can likely get the speech one paid for, but it's the humanities class I don't think I'll be able to swing a justification for.  Maybe a Philosophy class could be justified, but I'm not sure.

So, has anyone recently had luck with finding ways to get alternative credits to apply to their CCAF gen ed requirements?  Thanks in advance!
There is a TECEP for speech, just so you know (Technical Communications). If you find TECEP's would be accepted.

Dumb question, but why do you need a CCAF degree, instead of just going for a Bachelor's degree now? I mean, if the CCAF is holding you back, I say skip it and move on.

You could take the remaining courses you need for a Pierpont BOG AAS degree (which is free), and continue on with the BA/BS, taking courses through the other ACE/NCCRS courses we discuss here all the time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh, wow, I didn't see that one before. The only potential issue I see with the Technical Communications TECEP is that it certainly fulfills TESU's oral communications gen ed requirement, but I don't see it listed anywhere on CCAF's list of approved transfer classes. That doesn't mean it wouldn't approved, I just don't know for sure. At this time, CCAF only shows COM108 as a Speech equivalent when looking online.

That's not a dumb question. The Air Force has requirements now that limit you from picking up rank past a certain point if you don't have your CCAF degree, so they kind of strong-arm you into getting it. I'm not there yet, but I want to knock it out now so it looks good when I do my EPR and I put in for my promotion. I'm prior service Marine Corps, so after taking a few years off I am now playing catch up in the Air Force. Once the CCAF is done I'm going full throttle on the Straighterline/Study.com path and get the Bachelor's. I'm just trying to figure out if I can knock out the CCAF while I'm deployed without taking full-on classes. If I have to, I have to. I just want to know if there is another option.

Here's a quick update too. I called TESU just now and ask about how Straighterline and Study.com appear on the transcript and they basically said that they have no choice but to list SL and Study as the source of credit. That leads me to ASSUME that CCAF will not accept the TESU transcript due to them telling me they don't accept credit from SL. The guy I spoke with said that he doesn't have direct experience with CCAF and TECEPs, but he wouldn't understand why they wouldn't accept them since they are very similar to CLEP/DSST.

That didn't give me a warm and fuzzy about making the leap and doing the TECEPs for my CCAF completion. I don't mind sacrificing the small fee to take the exam, I just don't want to waste months of my time waiting for the eval process to come back saying they won't accept them. Unless someone chimes in here saying that they have direct experience with CCAF accepting the TECEP exams, I will just find some 8 week courses for those two classes and knock em out the old(ok, not really) fashioned way.
I realize that you can't use the SL and Study.com (i.e) to transfer credits from directly, but why can't you just submit them to ACE and apply them that way? If I am reading this page correctly (http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Tr...onnel.aspx) ACE is part of the Joint Service Transcript that CCAF requires transcripts to be submitted (received) through (http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/C...le/803256/)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Seems strange that you have to specifically get a CCAF degree rather than any CC or 4-yr college degree. I'd never heard that.

I think you only have 3 choices:
1) wait to take the CLEP/DSST exams you need until they bring in a proctor
2) skip the CCAF altogether
3) take some self-paced or online courses from an RA school and transfer them in.

Some options for #3:

Rio Salado college - has public speaking, and humanities - and allows you to take 8-week or 12ish week formats, starting on the first Monday of each month.

Lumerit Education has Speech and a couple of Humanities courses (some lit, Worldviews) and I think they are self-paced. They have changed their format over the years, and it seems that now, they have agreements with schools to bring it in as if you took the classes through an RA school.

U of Idaho Independent Study - has some humanities courses
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-15-2018, 01:21 PM)allvia Wrote: I realize that you can't use the SL and Study.com (i.e) to transfer credits from directly, but why can't you just submit them to ACE and apply them that way? If I am reading this page correctly (http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Tr...onnel.aspx) ACE is part of the Joint Service Transcript that CCAF requires transcripts to be submitted (received) through (http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/C...le/803256/)

JST and CCAF aren't the same when it comes to credits unfortunately.  JST will put all your training on it, and it will annotate which classes have been evaluated for ACE credit, so they will likely show SL and Study classes.  CCAF has to evaluate the credits before it can accept them.  I have several things on my JST that won't reflect on my CCAF.  Also, from my understanding, the transcript has to cite the source of the credit, therefore SL and Study will show up on the transcript.  Unless someone has had luck recently with finding a way to get CCAF to take the SL and Study credits indirectly, I don't appear to have them as an option.  I would chance it, but I don't want to waste my time.  CCAF takes foreeeeever to process incoming transcripts (3-4 months!).

(02-15-2018, 11:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Seems strange that you have to specifically get a CCAF degree rather than any CC or 4-yr college degree.  I'd never heard that.

I think you only have 3 choices:
1) wait to take the CLEP/DSST exams you need until they bring in a proctor
2) skip the CCAF altogether
3) take some self-paced or online courses from an RA school and transfer them in.

Some options for #3:

Rio Salado college - has public speaking, and humanities - and allows you to take 8-week or 12ish week formats, starting on the first Monday of each month.

Lumerit Education has Speech and a couple of Humanities courses (some lit, Worldviews) and I think they are self-paced.  They have changed their format over the years, and it seems that now, they have agreements with schools to bring it in as if you took the classes through an RA school.

U of Idaho Independent Study - has some humanities courses

Option one is certainly a possibility; two isn't since this will help with my promotion; three is likely what I will end up doing.

I appreciate the info on the schools.  I will take some time to look them up and figure out which works best for me out here.

Thanks!
CCAF is a pain and I wonder if it's worth bothering with it.

Because of their limits on nontraditional credit--and weird requirements--I didn't finish my CCAF degree until I was in grad school. I had 3 credits to go--even though I had two bachelor's degrees. I took a finance course for my MBA that satisfied the CCAF requirement, so I applied for the degree (right before I was commissioned).

I wouldn't walk two steps out of my way to get that degree unless it had an immediate and very tangible outcome.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sagan's post:
  • dfrecore
I honestly don't understand why it's so difficult. They are giving you credit for Tech school and self-paced PME, but won't give you credit for self-paced courses that are accepted by more worthwhile educational institutions.

But anyways, I know complaining about it won't change anything. I'll just figure out what the best course is to finish my other school and attempt to see if CCAF will take the washed credits down the road. I was just really excited about knocking out multiple degrees while I'm deployed, and hopeful it would help expedite my promotion. No worries though. I 99% sure that I'll be getting out once my contract is finished anyways. Bigger plans Smile

Thanks for the input!
(02-15-2018, 02:26 AM)Tracker Wrote: Some background before I start.  I am in in Air Guard, but deployed to Afghan right now as a DoD civilian.  Since the Air Guard will pay for CLEP/DSST exams I figured I was going to take a bunch while out here and knock out my CCAF and start making progress on a Bachelor's degree.  Turns out there is no proctor here for CLEP/DSST anymore.  They pulled the UMUC proctor out in 2016 and are looking to bring another out in the future, but not this year.  I only need Speech and one Humanities class to complete my CCAF.  This leaves me with my current dilemma...

I have seen in the past that people have used non-CLEP/DSST courses that were ACE-approved to transfer them to TESU or the like, and CCAF accepted them.  I know that CCAF will not accept the SL or study.com(or similar) credit directly, but will they accept any of the forms of alternate credit if they are on TESU's official transcripts? 

Now, I called CCAF the other day and asked if there is any possibility that they'd accept TESU's TECEP exams as transferable credit, and the lady gave me an answer that just confused the crap out of me.  Basically it was a maybe, but I wouldn't know until I tried.  I don't want to waste my time or money though.  If anyone has had luck with CCAF and TECEPs that would be great news.  I can do English Comp II instead of Speech, and one of the Humanities TECEPs and be done with it IF they accepted the TECEPs.

If I absolutely can't use an alternative to taking a regular class, then I can have my organization pay tuition for classes, but there are timelines and restrictions(least preferred method).  I can likely get the speech one paid for, but it's the humanities class I don't think I'll be able to swing a justification for.  Maybe a Philosophy class could be justified, but I'm not sure.

So, has anyone recently had luck with finding ways to get alternative credits to apply to their CCAF gen ed requirements?  Thanks in advance!

You may want to have all of your transcripts sent to CCAF via a TESU or Excelsior transcript - and then let them evaluate your credits. The source of where you took your courses such as Study.com, SL will not be reflected on the transcript. However, I believe it will be easier and faster to obtain an AA degree from TESU or Excelsior by using Study.com courses.
Check out TESU's AA degree program . Its a general education degree you can obtain quickly by using Study.com courses. Have your CCAF and other transcripts sent to TESU for an evaluation. Check out the links below:

https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/BA-Degree-...tudies.cfm

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/AA/

https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,421 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Best options to finish my CCAF bthompson1638 8 10,131 08-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,295 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  CCAF is Ridiculous Sagan 3 3,095 03-05-2018, 09:45 PM
  HELP! Need CCAF in 19weeks blakedrinnen 4 2,793 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Last Post: retire2018
  Airforce ccaf - study.com retire2018 12 9,139 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
  Picking college for IT after finishing CCAF riderofdirt 5 4,748 06-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Suggested Cleps to Finish my CCAF. Nerdymcnerdface 2 4,192 09-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Prloko