Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody use SDC for clep/dsst prep?
Has anybody used SDC for CLEP and DSST prep? They have a membership for it. But I'm trying to compare the $60 cost (I'm assuming it's like a course) with the $20 cost of Instacert flashcards.

I feel like I might prefer the course (over flash cards) in order to better understand how everything fits together. But my main question here is whether anybody uses the SDC prep membership, and your experience with it.

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
I've used SDC accelerator membership (which allows access to all content and some exams) and I'd say give the flashcards a try.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lacussucceed's post:
  • diminutive
(01-28-2020, 05:48 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I've used SDC accelerator membership (which allows access to all content and some exams) and I'd say give the flashcards a try.

So you've actually prepped for a CLEP or DSST on SDC? What's your feedback on that? And how does it compare to the flashcards?
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
(01-28-2020, 08:36 PM)SCYankee Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 05:48 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I've used SDC accelerator membership (which allows access to all content and some exams) and I'd say give the flashcards a try.

So you've actually prepped for a CLEP or DSST on SDC? What's your feedback on that? And how does it compare to the flashcards?

My son and I used SDC for the American Lit CLEP. We haven’t taken the test yet. We are Reviewing/doing practice tests to take it soon. I can say that specific course was head and shoulders better than anything else I could find, free or pay. We started out by using that plus the Modern States course, and quickly realized that the MS course content was covered by the SDC course, plus SDC had a whole lot more. We stopped using the content and just answered the questions for the voucher.

We are using SDC for other content too, but not for CLEP.

I believe SDC still offers the basic plan without quizzes or the ability to test. I’ve seen a number of conversations recently about it, but I don’t think it gets much advertising anymore. As I recall it’s either $39/mo or maybe $29/mo. You might need to hunt for the right link that’ll offer it, not sure.

I’m not sure what speedyprep offers that InstantCert doesn’t, they seem the same to me based on description. (?) We rely heavily on InstantCert Flashcards and the info in their forums to prep for the tests we’ve taken so far. I wouldn’t want to test without them or the REA practice tests.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(01-29-2020, 12:55 AM)alab21 Wrote:

My son and I used SDC for the American Lit CLEP. We haven’t taken the test yet. We are Reviewing/doing practice tests to take it soon. I can say that specific course was head and shoulders better than anything else I could find, free or pay. We started out by using that plus the Modern States course, and quickly realized that the MS course content was covered by the SDC course, plus SDC had a whole lot more. We stopped using the content and just answered the questions for the voucher.

I believe SDC still offers the basic plan without quizzes or the ability to test. I’ve seen a number of conversations recently about it, but I don’t think it gets much advertising anymore. As I recall it’s either $39/mo or maybe $29/mo. You might need to hunt for the right link that’ll offer it, not sure.

I’m not sure what speedyprep offers that InstantCert doesn’t, they seem the same to me based on description. (?) We rely heavily on InstantCert Flashcards and the info in their forums to prep for the tests we’ve taken so far. I wouldn’t want to test without them or the REA practice tests.

Okay, thanks. That's helpful. The SDC membership that gives access to preps is $59.99 unless there's one they don't mention. I used the chat feature to ask a question the other day, and they didn't mention it. But maybe I'll try again and specifically bring it up--whether there's a cheaper option.
Working towards:
(01-29-2020, 10:37 AM)SCYankee Wrote:

Okay, thanks. That's helpful. The SDC membership that gives access to preps is $59.99 unless there's one they don't mention. I used the chat feature to ask a question the other day, and they didn't mention it. But maybe I'll try again and specifically bring it up--whether there's a cheaper option.

It seems like they’re phasing it out. I haven’t seen it offered on a link in a while, but others apparently have. ??‍♀️ I tried to find a link for you but couldn’t. I also know when I signed up for the teacher account last summer, there was a sale that was half price for the annual account, but not everyone could see it. There’s something wonky with their cookies/links that allow some people to see discounts that others can’t. If you need a full year of it, or really break even is about 7months, the homeschool annual plan is on sale for $395. Same access as every other account, but no option to do college accelerator (or I guess at the end of the subscription you might be able to ??). You can’t put it on hold though, like the monthly accounts. So if you don’t want it over the summer, it’s sort of a waste.

Which CLEPs are you trying to do? Is it for a kid or adult? There’s likely free content you can use too/instead.

(01-30-2020, 09:57 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(01-29-2020, 10:37 AM)SCYankee Wrote:

It seems like they’re phasing it out. I haven’t seen it offered on a link in a while, but others apparently have. ??‍♀️ I tried to find a link for you but couldn’t. I also know when I signed up for the teacher account last summer, there was a sale that was half price for the annual account, but not everyone could see it. There’s something wonky with their cookies/links that allow some people to see discounts that others can’t. If you need a full year of it, or really break even is about 7months, the homeschool annual plan is on sale for $395. Same access as every other account, but no option to do college accelerator (or I guess at the end of the subscription you might be able to ??). You can’t put it on hold though, like the monthly accounts. So if you don’t want it over the summer, it’s sort of a waste.

Which CLEPs are you trying to do? Is it for a kid or adult? There’s likely free content you can use too/instead.

It's for me (adult :Smile still have several CLEP exams and several more DSST. I don't feel like buying any more prep books as they always have mixed reviews, and often I'm studying things that aren't mentioned on the tests. So I use MS for CLEP and can find quizlet cards for free. But there is no MS equivalent for DSST. So the SDC plan would allow me prepare for both kinds.

Free content is not my thing (other than quizlet and some practice tests that I've downloaded) I prefer one-stop shopping for test prep. That way I know I have a full grasp of the subject with missing certain topics.

Thanks for looking for a link.

So the homeschool plan is the one with access to CLEP and DSST?

There was a thread on here about an annual discount for something like $983 too, a while back. I couldn't find any other info about it. Do you know anything about that too?
Working towards:
Especially when you you can double dip. Like I took an Ethics course on SDC and then CLEP'd a similar one that transferred in as a different course at TESU. Then I used SDC to study for a TECEP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes diminutive's post:
  • SCYankee

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 932 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com acquires Enhanced Prep (K-12 tutoring, College Prep Provider) bjcheung77 5 809 03-05-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Modern States announces additional funding, continued CLEP vouchers jsd 8 1,876 02-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Foreigner: any way to get a degree online - no CLEP DSST tomokaicho 21 2,557 01-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  DSST question on Management Information Systems - BA in Comp Sci dtwallace 3 845 12-29-2020, 10:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question How good are the Study.com TECEP prep courses? Merlin 10 4,024 11-12-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Decision Time - Straighterline, CLEP, DSST, or Study.com dh5150 22 3,120 08-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
  CLEP BIOLOGY chelledward28 6 1,466 02-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: alab21
  Embry Riddle ACE and CLEP articulation Plancked 5 2,376 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM
  Sophia Accounting = CLEP Accounting? SCYankee 4 1,513 12-27-2019, 02:39 AM