Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apply COSC Degree to Elite University?
Question 
In all the research so far, I haven't been able to answer this question yet...

Let's say I use one of the "Big 3" to convert 120 credits into a BA or BS. Then, I want to pursue a Master's at some other U. Not Harvard or anything, but something like UF or LSU or Purdue. 

For a Masters in Communication, I might need to do some pre-reqs, but I intend to look ahead and work them into my Bachelor's anyway. If I have the classes they require to start the Master's, is there a chance that they might not accept my Bachelor's due to too many CLEP/DSST or SDC, or something like that? Or are my credit sources no longer a factor after achieving a degree?

Will the sources even be visible at the graduate level?

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
They're not going to reject your degree because of too many alternative credits, but if the program you're looking at is competitive admissions, you might not have much on your transcript to prove your abilities with. Also, you'll want to check whether they'd accept CLEP/DSST/ACE for a pre-requisite or if they have to be taken from an RA school.

I Googled Purdue's online MS in Communications for example, and I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem getting into that one, but I don't really know for certain.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • SCYankee
(06-20-2019, 01:20 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: They're not going to reject your degree because of too many alternative credits, but if the program you're looking at is competitive admissions, you might not have much on your transcript to prove your abilities with. Also, you'll want to check whether they'd accept CLEP/DSST/ACE for a pre-requisite or if they have to be taken from an RA school.

I Googled Purdue's online MS in Communications for example, and I'm guessing you wouldn't have a problem getting into that one, but I don't really know for certain.

Also some degrees might be require a certain number of graded credits and/or a certain GPA just make sure you have that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • SCYankee
The sources will be visible.

Look into what graduate programs you're interested in expect in terms of letters of recommendation. Think about who'll be able to write compelling letters about your potential as a graduate student in your field of interest. At COSC you'll work at minimum with a capstone instructor in your concentration or major, a cornerstone instructor not specific to your department (and working to freshman standards during a short term), and an academic advisor (who will be familiar with your degree and accomplishments overall, but won't directly oversee academic work).

In some cases even where a test-out or ACE/NCCRS course is available, you might choose a course from a professor at a college in part for the possibility of a recommendation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • SCYankee
Okay, I think that helps. Since the graduate school will see all of this on my transcript anyway, can I simply ask them these questions about GPA, graded courses vs exams, etc? Or is it too early (if so, at what point would it be better)? Or would the person I speak to possibly just be confused about the whole thing (have seen some issues like that on this forum)?

The GPA would come from SDC or SL courses (or other college courses), since CLEP/DSST don't result in GPA scores, right? 

Thanks a lot.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
The college you apply to may or may not count SDC/SL courses in your GPA. My guess is most would not, but that's just a guess.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Exactly what everyone has said -- Look into the individual programs. I used my TESU/WGU degrees (not COSC) to get into Georgia Tech, so it's possible to get into highly ranked schools with alt credit. But not all programs are as flexible as GT's OMS programs, especially those that revolve around state or federal licensure.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
One of the schools I applied to thought that Davar Academy was a foreign college, and they requested a foreign transcript evaluation. LOL
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • davewill, mysonx3
(06-20-2019, 03:25 PM)SCYankee Wrote: Okay, I think that helps. Since the graduate school will see all of this on my transcript anyway, can I simply ask them these questions about GPA, graded courses vs exams, etc? Or is it too early (if so, at what point would it be better)? Or would the person I speak to possibly just be confused about the whole thing (have seen some issues like that on this forum)?

The GPA would come from SDC or SL courses (or other college courses), since CLEP/DSST don't result in GPA scores, right? 

Thanks a lot.

Yes you can ask and it's not too early! Some people probably will be confused. You'll probably encounter smart people who know a lot about higher education and their field but little or nothing about nontraditional sources of credit. Many decisions will be case-by-case, and what you hear from one person today may not reflect how the committee proceeds when you apply even at the same program. But it will give you a sense of how things are perceived and how things happen.

Roughly, the graduate admissions office is like the HR department, the graduate program is like the hiring manager. The graduate admissions office may oversee steps like application form intake and transcript review and may provide general guidance, but the main center of power in admissions decisions is likely to be the graduate program.
People here have gotten into all kinds of graduate programs with Big3 degrees. Remember that a grad school application is a package. Once you have the "musts" like a bachelor's degree and the right prerequisites, and minimum GPA, everything else is judged on a relative basis. This applicant has a high GPA, that one went to a top school, this other one has lots of relevant work experience, another one has a high score on the GRE, the last wrote a great essay. Try to accentuate the positives on your application, and not worry too much about the things you can't change.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • Life_One, TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  Help with Degree Plan origamishuttle 12 1,897 06-02-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium