Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in History TESU
Wait. I was just looking over the TECEPs and they're only $50 and they count for RA as well right? Well, I need another history for somewhere (GE I think, my brain is mush) So what if I don't take the class at study (History 105) and instead take World History 1600 to Present HIS-126 as a TECEP My question is this: I will still take BOTH Western Civs so it shouldn't interfere with that, correct?
It will give me RA credits and that other history class? Is that an option?

If thats the case then I just need to take Latin American History at ONU to satisfy the Non Western Req and the final RA credits. I dont think I can swing Chinese History as well in the 16 credit term. That will be too much. I mean, I think it will. I know I will have a whole semester but I don't wanna over do it. I looked over the syllabus's for the classes and all of them require multiple papers so that is why I am hesitant. BUT I have lots of time to dedicate to school. What are y'alls thoughts?

I would like to say I promise I will leave you alone now but I can't guarantee that :/
(09-23-2021, 02:21 PM)TheLibrarian Wrote: Wait. I was just looking over the TECEPs and they're only $50 and they count for RA as well right?

Mostly right, except the price is $50 per credit for lower level. $75 per credit for upper level. So $150/$225 for most exams. Medical Terminology happens to be a 1 credit course/exam.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • TheLibrarian
(09-23-2021, 02:03 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Yes, taking TECEPs turns your status into fully enrolled. If you plan to take 3 TECEPs, I would not take them all at once. Take one every 6-8 months or so, depending on how quickly you're able to complete courses elsewhere. Every time you take a TECEP, you "reset the clock", so to speak, so you have 12 months from when you signed up for them. Example: Let's say that you apply to TESU in October. You pay for and take all 3 TECEPs in November & December of 2021. This gives you until November/December of 2022 as a fully enrolled student. On the other hand, let's say that you sign up for one TECEP in November, one TECEP in May of  2022, and one TECEP in October of 2022. This gives you until October of 2023 as a fully-enrolled student.

If it's going to take you a while to get through all of the classes, whether for financial reasons or otherwise, it makes sense to stretch out your enrollment period as much as possible as well.

My goal is to have my degree completed by this time next year because of my current job. So I need everything done before I start my 16 credits at TESU because I wont be able to complete all of that plus classes outside of that.  So I have from now until January essentially, to complete the study, tecep and onu classes. I think I can do that.
(09-23-2021, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:24 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote: 1) How do I find this new degree plan? I go to TESU website, click on online programs, BA in History and this is what I see. I don't know about any other degree plan? (See below)

The new catalog is even more confusing to newbies, IMO. It heavily implies that you MUST take certain TESU courses (even if this is not necessary). But you can find it here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History I don't know why it's not fully linked on the TESU site yet, but that's what new students need to use and not the one that is currently easiest to find.

Once you are a fully-enrolled TESU student, you will have access to the more sensibly formatted (IMO) degree plan in Online Student Services.

Well crap!   I was using the old plan and had never seen this new one.  I'm going to need to figure this out again.  

Under the required courses it lists Historical Methods.   I think SDC History 301:  Historiography works there.   Does that sound correct?

And now it appears History 310: The Middle East is a required class.    Any places that course can be obtained aside from TESU?

I don't even want to go back through my general education classes now.   I hope I'm still in relatively good shape on those.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(09-23-2021, 07:43 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:24 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote: 1) How do I find this new degree plan? I go to TESU website, click on online programs, BA in History and this is what I see. I don't know about any other degree plan? (See below)

The new catalog is even more confusing to newbies, IMO. It heavily implies that you MUST take certain TESU courses (even if this is not necessary). But you can find it here: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/Current/...in-History I don't know why it's not fully linked on the TESU site yet, but that's what new students need to use and not the one that is currently easiest to find.

Once you are a fully-enrolled TESU student, you will have access to the more sensibly formatted (IMO) degree plan in Online Student Services.

Well crap!   I was using the old plan and had never seen this new one.  I'm going to need to figure this out again.  

Under the required courses it lists Historical Methods.   I think SDC History 301:  Historiography works there.   Does that sound correct?

And now it appears History 310: The Middle East is a required class.    Any places that course can be obtained aside from TESU?

I don't even want to go back through my general education classes now.   I hope I'm still in relatively good shape on those.

Yes, HIS 301: Historiography & Historical Methods works for the requirement.

And no, TESU's Middle East course is NOT a required course - read back through this whole thread to see what's going on, it will be helpful to you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-23-2021, 08:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, HIS 301: Historiography & Historical Methods works for the requirement.

And no, TESU's Middle East course is NOT a required course - read back through this whole thread to see what's going on, it will be helpful to you.

So the attachment I'm attempting to add to this post is what confuses me.   I read it to mean that the 18 credits (6 classes) in that section are required courses.   The top 4 courses, and then one of the options listed for the last 2 courses.   It sounds like you're saying I'm reading this incorrectly.   I'd be very happy if that is the case.

Attached Files
.xlsx   History requirements.xlsx (Size: 72.56 KB / Downloads: 7)
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
(09-23-2021, 08:56 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 08:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, HIS 301: Historiography & Historical Methods works for the requirement.

So the attachment I'm attempting to add to this post is what confuses me.   I read it to mean that the 18 credits (6 classes) in that section are required courses.   The top 4 courses, and then one of the options listed for the last 2 courses.   It sounds like you're saying I'm reading this incorrectly.   I'd be very happy if that is the case.

Heres what this means: 
You need two US history courses. I did mine at sophia but I am pretty sure the study .com ones work (you'll have to check that) 
You need a "Non Western Requirement" Thats whats listed here as The Middle East. It does not need to be the Middle East class, it just has to be something that satisfies the Non-Western Req. I am doing the Latin American history from ONU because I also need RA credits. The Holocaust and Vietnam classes on study do NOT satisfy this.
You need Historical Methods. I am doing it at study but I am sure its available elsewhere, Seems to be a req for every history degree everywhere. 
You need either Western Civ I & II or World History I & II. (If you do Western Civ I you do Western Civ II) The Western Civ I & II on study satisfy this. I am working on that now actually. 

I hope this explains it for you. I am also new to all this and learning as I go. The peeps on this forum are amazing and patient with my 100s of questions LOL
(09-24-2021, 03:35 AM)TheLibrarian Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 08:56 PM)NC Coach Wrote:

Heres what this means: 
You need two US history courses. I did mine at sophia but I am pretty sure the study .com ones work (you'll have to check that) 
You need a "Non Western Requirement" Thats whats listed here as The Middle East. It does not need to be the Middle East class, it just has to be something that satisfies the Non-Western Req. I am doing the Latin American history from ONU because I also need RA credits. The Holocaust and Vietnam classes on study do NOT satisfy this.
You need Historical Methods. I am doing it at study but I am sure its available elsewhere, Seems to be a req for every history degree everywhere. 
You need either Western Civ I & II or World History I & II. (If you do Western Civ I you do Western Civ II) The Western Civ I & II on study satisfy this. I am working on that now actually. 

I hope this explains it for you. I am also new to all this and learning as I go. The peeps on this forum are amazing and patient with my 100s of questions LOL

OK, that is the same as the prior requirement then, which is great.   On the old list of requirements it specifically said non-Western requirement, so that is what threw me off.   

And yes, I've been around here a long time and I 100% agree this is a place full of great folks who are super helpful.    Thank you, too! Big Grin

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes NC Coach's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
The new catalog is terrible for planning purposes. But the requirements haven't changed all that much from the old ones, so cross-referencing the two will be more useful than only using the brand new catalog link as a reference. NC Coach, if you've been enrolled at TESU for a while, you might well still be on the old catalog. If that's the case, you might want to update to the newer catalog. For most students, updating from old catalog to new will result in more credits being used. The lack of distinction between free electives and general electives is super helpful.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • NC Coach
(09-24-2021, 03:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The new catalog is terrible for planning purposes. But the requirements haven't changed all that much from the old ones, so cross-referencing the two will be more useful than only using the brand new catalog link as a reference. NC Coach, if you've been enrolled at TESU for a while, you might well still be on the old catalog. If that's the case, you might want to update to the newer catalog. For most students, updating from old catalog to new will result in more credits being used. The lack of distinction between free electives and general electives is super helpful.

Thanks for that info, good to know about the electives.   I've never applied yet.   It always felt so far away.   Once I complete the two courses I'm taking now I'll have 80 credits, so it's certainly getting closer.

15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 373 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 855 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 630 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 169 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,254 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Help with degree plan - UMPI BA History Ckccc 15 1,244 02-06-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 382 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,066 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BACS planing help smtGate 8 555 01-04-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Business Core questions Yenisei 8 543 12-07-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Yenisei